Chairs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Chairs?

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:02 am

If this quarantine has taught me anything, it's that I desperately need a new computer chair. So I promised myself that when stimulus money touched down I'd get myself a new one.
Well....that day is finally here, and I come humbly to the Message Board to ask for any recommendations you all might have for me.

Oh, and I tried the search function, & the only thing moderately useful I found before getting bored was a 15 year old thread with a lot of "yer mom" jokes and references to ball-kicking. Funny, but largely useless.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Re: Chairs?

Post by analogika » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 am

After having spent a few days in hospital with back pain a decade ago, I invested in a used Herman Miller Aeron. (Check for the correct size!)

Best. Fucking. Decision. Ever. Made. For the studio.

…well, apart from that time twenty years ago I finally gave in and bought a patchbay.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:19 pm

analogika wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 am
After having spent a few days in hospital with back pain a decade ago, I invested in a used Herman Miller Aeron. (Check for the correct size!)

…well, apart from that time twenty years ago I finally gave in and bought a patchbay.
sorry for the derail but dude your band The Drawbars is awesome!! I found you guys on youtube and emailed your label to see if you guys were doing a vinyl release, but i never heard back. did you guys ever do a release? i'm a bassist and man i love your bass player, let him know he's badass the next time you see him! small world, love your youtube channel, keep up the good work!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:23 pm

I had a Herman Miller Aeron chair but never loved it. I've got a bad back due to years working in the family funeral business (and that's a whole other story) and have had herniated disks at various points. The Aeron was ok for me but I'd still be quite stiff and sore with even moderate amounts of sitting.
My current chair is an old Steelcase 1960's rolling office chair pretty much exactly like this -

Against all odds its the most comfortable chair I've ever had in the studio. Go figure.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Thanks for the tips so far. The Aeron seems to be the most common recommendation, and I grew up on chairs like that old Steelcase & have a nostalgic fondness for them--and they're definitely built to last.
I was hoping I might hear from someone with experience with the "Stealth Studio Engineer's Chair" https://vintageking.com/stealth-studio-engineer-s-chair--looks Aeron-ish and is certainly cheaper than a new Aeron. Anyone know anything about it?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Chairs, that's a deep subject if you don't have a young back.

I too have an old Steelcase chair, that's one.
I have a couple even older Gunlocke chairs, like secretary chairs, which I've found used and had to fix up. Those chairs fit me wonderfully, cause instant pain to anybody else, and squeak like a doomed ship rat.
I have a kneeling chair.
I have one of those big exercise balls.
None of my chairs have arms.
I can also work sitting or standing if needed.

I switch around whenever my back isn't happy, so several times a day.

gregovertone
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregovertone » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:04 pm

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... -Mid-Back/

I've got this guy.

I love it.
it's like the office max Herman miller.

add $20 for their 'insurance policy'....just in case. they'll just give you a free one.
best chair I've owned.

AND...I'm a guitarist. I teach and record guitar day in day out.

the backrest of this chair is not dependent on the arm rest.

so I just take the right arm rest off.

makes life easier!
www.gregsguitarlessons.com
Guitar Lessons & Studio

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:15 pm

I bought one of these a few years back. sorry, it looks like they are mostly out of stock now.. but I think I paid $60 or less shipped. I'ts pretty comfortable though.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I also have an OfficeStar chair that was from Costco probably 5-7 years ago. It's still working well. The hydraulic cylinder started to leak a little oil so I contacted OfficeStar and they sent me a new cylinder free of charge (which is great, but I have not figure out how to get the old one removed so it's still sitting in the box a year later..). and of course if you have a Costco membership they have a great return policy if you don't like the chair.

https://www.officestarstore.com/collect ... 1420322251
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:19 pm
analogika wrote:

sorry for the derail but dude your band The Drawbars is awesome!! I found you guys on youtube and emailed your label to see if you guys were doing a vinyl release, but i never heard back. did you guys ever do a release? i'm a bassist and man i love your bass player, let him know he's badass the next time you see him! small world, love your youtube channel, keep up the good work!
Oh man, thanks so much! I've passed it on to him. And yes, he's one of my favourite players ever. 12/10 for style-appropriate delivery.

Our EP "extended play" never made it past digital delivery, and the digital single "Is It Because?" never did, either, BUT:
We recorded a 7" for the totally niche vinyl-DJ label BurningSole Records that was released three weeks ago on black and IVORY vinyl.
https://burningsolerecords.bandcamp.com ... e-question

We also recorded a ten-track album live in the studio in January that is now at the mixing stage. We're going to be shopping it around to labels pretty soon and are hoping for a vinyl release.

I apologise for continuing the derail. Please commence the throwing of chairs.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 pm

I can echo a couple sentiments above.

I'm old enough that I like my chairs like I like my shoes. The same one(s) every day leaves me hurting - being able to rotate is useful. It doesn't always have to be fabulous quality, just something else for a change.

I also like being able to remove/lower/swivel the arm rests when there's a guitar in my lap. But I like them when I'm typing a lot.

I find the Aeron to be a bit uncomfortable, but never spent much time with one to get it totally adjusted...the front edge of the seat is rigid, and digs into the back of my legs.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:13 am

analogika wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 pm
markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:19 pm
analogika wrote:

Oh man, thanks so much! I've passed it on to him. And yes, he's one of my favourite players ever. 12/10 for style-appropriate delivery.

Our EP "extended play" never made it past digital delivery, and the digital single "Is It Because?" never did, either, BUT:
We recorded a 7" for the totally niche vinyl-DJ label BurningSole Records that was released three weeks ago on black and IVORY vinyl.
https://burningsolerecords.bandcamp.com ... e-question

We also recorded a ten-track album live in the studio in January that is now at the mixing stage. We're going to be shopping it around to labels pretty soon and are hoping for a vinyl release.

I apologise for continuing the derail. Please commence the throwing of chairs.
awesome i will buy today. definitely post something in the Listen to Music part of the forum when that new album is released. I'll have to look for the digital one. thank you!

back to chairs. i'm still young and cheap so i have a black padded folding chair. yeah i'm gonna need to upgrade at somepoint :shock:

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:59 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 pm
Thanks for the tips so far. The Aeron seems to be the most common recommendation, and I grew up on chairs like that old Steelcase & have a nostalgic fondness for them--and they're definitely built to last.
I was hoping I might hear from someone with experience with the "Stealth Studio Engineer's Chair" https://vintageking.com/stealth-studio-engineer-s-chair--looks Aeron-ish and is certainly cheaper than a new Aeron. Anyone know anything about it?
I've had the Herman Miller Aeron, and the old vintage Steelcase type (which I took a hacksaw to the right armrest so I could play guitar in it). Also have to say that those inexpensive molded plywood chairs on wheels at IKEA for as spartan as they look can be pretty comfortable.

The chair you linked to above seems to be a cheaper version of the eChair from the Phantom Focus guy.
We tried a pair and got rid of our Herman Miller chairs and bought 2 more.

The fit and adjustments of the chair seem very well suited to what we do.
They also have a much smaller "footprint" in the studio.
The Aeron chair is pretty darn big, bumping into things.

For guitar players, you can remove the arms or even one arm of the eChair with just one thumbwheel.

We've had these for a couple years and everybody really likes them.

Here's the site for the eChair. It's $50 more than what you linked to but the base is metal.
https://www.phantomfocus.com/category-s/149.htm

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:40 am

A company I worked for had a bunch of the HM Aeron chairs. They were all literally falling apart after only a year. The quality seems really iffy for such an expensive chair. If I'm spending my own money I just can't see paying more than $200 (and have never actually spent more than $150 for a chair so far). I think most of the copycats are just about as good. But like headphones, one size does NOT fit all. I mean they fit, but they are not always comfortable. You gotta try a few.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:53 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:59 am
winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 pm

The chair you linked to above seems to be a cheaper version of the eChair from the Phantom Focus guy.
We tried a pair and got rid of our Herman Miller chairs and bought 2 more.
Thanks for the info--I'm wondering which seat size you went with. I'm 6 feet tall but with short legs for my height, so I'm waffling. None of my current chairs is as deep as the large, although they all seem to be wider than the regular.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:35 am

Re that, The Stealth Chair:

"Additionally, the scientifically designed backrest moves with the music engineer to massage the lumbar area of the spine, which increases blood flow and nutrients to the lower back muscles and intervertebral discs."

"nutrients"?

I fucking hate advertising, and particularly inaccurate puffing; it's just far too ...

... presidential. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.