Cubase Pro 10.5 opinions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Cubase Pro 10.5 opinions

Post by Dubmaniac » Sun May 03, 2020 12:13 pm

I've been tracking audio with (don't laugh) Cubase SX2 for almost 17 years on several different PCs. I've tried other DAWs, but I can't work nearly as fast on them as I can on Cubase. I'm thinking of upgrading to Cubase Pro 10.5 if I can afford it. Have any of you used it for tracking audio? If so, what were your thoughts? What did you like and what didn't you like? I used to do a lot more MIDI work, but lately I've been doing nothing but audio. So... what do you think of it? I'd like to know before I drop almost $600 on it. As always, thanks in advance.
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Re: Cubase Pro 10.5 opinions

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon May 04, 2020 12:43 pm

I admittedly haven't tried 10.5, but i did finally switch over to 10 last year, after being on 6 since maybe 2012? it definitely took some getting used to, but wasn't as great a leap as i feared. i was a little clumsy tracking at first, but a couple quick google searches had me back to my speedy normal in no time. better stock plugin options, visually it looks better, and once i got the hang of "q-link" i was in pretty good shape.

that said, i think you can find a better deal than $600. i think i got mine as an upgrade for $150 when they had an anniversary sale not so long ago. maybe look on kvr forum for a re-seller? i feel like i've seen them for $350 or so usually - i think i just saw one for less than $300!

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue May 05, 2020 10:04 am

Big Cubase lover here... I'm on V10 and use V7 mostly as there are a few plugs I love that won't work in 10 but I'm trying to mostly switch over... The time stretching in V10 is amazing - i've taken entire multitracks up and down in speed and been able to use the tracks that on previous versions would have become too glitchy...

I see that you can update for $450 right now. I am also super fast with Cubase and see no real need or reason to switch to another DAW.

GO FOR IT!
the new rules : there are no rules

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Sat May 09, 2020 1:31 am

joninc wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:04 am
I see that you can update for $450 right now. I am also super fast with Cubase and see no real need or reason to switch to another DAW.

GO FOR IT!
Unfortunately, I won't be able to upgrade. I'll have to pay full price. They don't let you upgrade when you've had the software for almost 17 years! Not only that, but I got my copy for free as an NFR (not for resale) version when I worked for the Walmart of music retail. I guess I shouldn't complain about having to buy my next version of it. I can't help but wonder... if I used a free version for that long, how long will I use the paid version? Until I go completely deaf? I guess we'll see.
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine