Logic Pro X on MacBook Pro to Facebook Live stream

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cheer tunes
audio school

Logic Pro X on MacBook Pro to Facebook Live stream

Post by cheer tunes » Tue May 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi, I've been going "live" on Facebook using only the mic on my iPhone X for audio, which is not great.

I have a decent home studio rig that I should be able to leverage to stream much higher quality audio to Facebook live.

My workflow is:
AKG 414c mic
Apogee Element 24 converter (connects to mac via thunderbolt adaptor)
MacBook Pro (1 year old)
Logic Pro X

Is there a simple plug in or something that will allow me to stream high quality audio from Logic Pro to Facebook live? Thanks

Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

Re: Logic Pro X on MacBook Pro to Facebook Live stream

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 05, 2020 3:07 pm

There is, hopefully, this works for FB Live:

https://audiomovers.com/
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' gear

Post by alexdingley » Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 am

I'm sure that the paid service (Audiomovers) is elegant and robust, but depending on the needs— I can imagine that being too pricey for some folks. Is there any reason why someone wouldn't just use the Soundflower driver? I suppose the setup is slightly more involved than Audiomovers. I believe you'd have to:

• Install Soundflower (downloadable here)
• Create an Aggregate Audio device (in audio/midi setup), call it something like "WebStreamDAW"
• Choose some inputs from your regular audio I/O & some outputs from your Soundflower
• Set Logic audio prefs to use "WebStreamDAW" for audio I/O
• Set Mac System audio to be the WebStream DAW?

I haven't used Soundflower in a long while, but it was great for routing audio from the web into my DAW — don't see why it couldn't be rigged up to work the other way around. To the original poster's point — the above steps are most decidedly NOT a simple plug-in... but once it's set up once, it probably would be as simple as a quick "⌥-click" on your Mac-system-volume / choose different audio I/O.

cheer tunes
audio school

Post by cheer tunes » Wed May 06, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks for the insights! I talked to Apogee and they confirmed that my device (Element 24) is not compatible with iOS devices. That led me back down the original path of why not do the facebook live stream from my MacBook Pro?? Well, tested that and was able to select the Element 24 as the Input device, but guess what? The webcam on a virtually new MacBook Pro is pretty horrible compared to my iPhone 11, go figure. Going to do some more testing.

Something like an iRig might be a simple, relatively easy solution for live streaming with the iPhone.

alexdingley
buyin' gear

Post by alexdingley » Wed May 06, 2020 7:31 pm

Do you happen to own a DSLR camera? In prep for my own Facebook live stuff... I recently learned that you can totally rig up a Canon EOS dslr as a webcam via a couple of free apps... it works great & looks amazing. I realize that rigging up through Logic & extra drivers + firing up some freeware apps to rig an external camera might start to sound VERY tangled... but the end result would be: great sounding audio w/ very high-quality video.

Also, if your MacBook Pro camera isn't looking so hot, just make sure to get waaaay more light on yourself in the shot. I'm guessing that the slightly older MacBook pro's don't have the fancy back-lit optical sensors that they put in iPhones. My 2013 MacBook Pro retina webcam is fine... but my (work machine) 2016 MacBook Pro's webcam is super clear, even in lower light.