Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:31 am

trodden wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:24 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:56 am
vvv wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:02 pm

+1

Not only do I love it as a straight DI (and as a mic pre), but I like to run AIAB pedals into it.

It seems, to exaggerate what I hear as the effect it has, to smoove out the signal, take off some of the fizz or whatever ya wanna call the unrealistic top end some pedals give.
My only gripe is the weird logarithmic taper of the pot. It's like nothing until 3:00, then all the gain is right at the end. But I agree with you about the top end thing, now that you mention it. Clean DIs on bass are great for low end but the top always sounds terrible to me, but thinking on it I've never had that issue with the Brick. JFET is the same if you make sure it hits red on the note attack (I have the 500 series with the meter).
Besides the The Brick, I own a cuppla GT tube mics and a Convertible mic (pretty sure because Nick S. reco'd it for snare?).
I have an MD1a and I love it. It's a unique and great sounding mic that also does not have that garbage top that similarly priced mics have. I've put it up against significantly more expensive mics and it is either as good or pretty goddamn close every time. I got mine from FM Joel Hamilton. Still has the "Joel H." sticker on it. haha.
And if you scream into the wrong side, it's really "dark" ahahahhahah.
Dude, so first lol, but second, that Prize EP you like.... I had it as the center mic in an M/S setup at the back of the room, fucking backwards. Didn't notice til I started packing up at the end of the session. BUT, it actually ended up being pretty sick.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: DI bass and guitar

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:33 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:21 pm
*****I actually have some stuffed PCBs & various parts for the MDx series mics that I picked up from someone that bought them at the Groove Tubes garage sale years ago. Sadly, I've never been motivated enough to do the hard work of turning them into mics.
how much work we talkin here?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:58 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:31 am
trodden wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:24 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:56 am

My only gripe is the weird logarithmic taper of the pot. It's like nothing until 3:00, then all the gain is right at the end. But I agree with you about the top end thing, now that you mention it. Clean DIs on bass are great for low end but the top always sounds terrible to me, but thinking on it I've never had that issue with the Brick. JFET is the same if you make sure it hits red on the note attack (I have the 500 series with the meter).

I have an MD1a and I love it. It's a unique and great sounding mic that also does not have that garbage top that similarly priced mics have. I've put it up against significantly more expensive mics and it is either as good or pretty goddamn close every time. I got mine from FM Joel Hamilton. Still has the "Joel H." sticker on it. haha.
And if you scream into the wrong side, it's really "dark" ahahahhahah.
Dude, so first lol, but second, that Prize EP you like.... I had it as the center mic in an M/S setup at the back of the room, fucking backwards. Didn't notice til I started packing up at the end of the session. BUT, it actually ended up being pretty sick.
HA! NICE! I was pleasantly embarrassed after posting photos of it before realizing I had it set up facing the wrong way. OOPS.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:46 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:33 am
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:21 pm
*****I actually have some stuffed PCBs & various parts for the MDx series mics that I picked up from someone that bought them at the Groove Tubes garage sale years ago. Sadly, I've never been motivated enough to do the hard work of turning them into mics.
how much work we talkin here?
Basically, I've got the mic bodies w/o windscreen or base, and the stuffed PCBs. Some aspects I've got a pretty good idea of how to approach, but the base & connector, and figuring out how to attach the windscreen to the stainless steel mic body are the primary stumbling blocks I haven't had the impetus to overcome.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:30 am

Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:46 pm
...the base & connector
I bet you could get someone with CAD software to make a 3D-printable part for you. I could even print it for you. We have 2 3D printers at the library where I work.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:21 am

For bass, I use a Tech 21 Q-Strip DI with attenuation on the low mids at 320 cps. I may or may not boost the other 3 frequencies depending.
Once it's tracked, there are a variety of tricks I may use.
I'm just getting into Eventides Physion and Split EQ, which allow separation of the transient and the tone. Often all I need is just a bit of attenuation on the transient to smooth things out.
Sometimes I copy and paste the bass track to another track, put a high pass filter on it and run it through a guitar amp sim. I like the Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 50. That track may be pretty distorted but mixing a bit of that into the bass will make it "pop" in the mix if that's what I want.

I record guitars lots of different ways, DI, distortion pedals, mic an amp, close mic the strings, there are lots of ways to do it and lots of tricks that can be done after the recording. I haven't settled on anything yet.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:05 am

Lately, I have been the simulator pedals (mostly various One Control pedals into a cab simulator like the DSM or the Digitech) for rhythm guitars, and then mic'ing leads.

My last release (at bandcamp linked below) was a Boogie .50 Caliber with a RE320 about 6" off, and a Shiny Box 23L in the hallway, or a Bassbreaker 007 with a Superlux side-address (kinda like a EV 609 but smaller round case) hanging off the handle.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.