Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 pm

The Scum wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:57 pm
Sold my ol SM-10 headset mic to a gentleman who wanted to use it for his singing cowboy routine. He was concerned whether it would fit under his cowboy hat.
e all y'all in agreement that, besides the RIP threads, this is the most depressing current thread at TOMB?
Not at all in this case. I upgraded from the SM-10 to an AKG C520, then from that to a Crown CM311. The AKG is also for sale, and I won't miss it, either.
Me, I prefer the "Latest gear you've acquired....." thread.

Top o' the page to ya's, also!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:29 pm

I find this thread much more inspiring than the "acquired" thread. But I find it much harder to un-acquire than to acquire gear.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:46 am

As Steven Wright once said , "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" My whole life I've realized that you have to un-acquire things to acquire more things (whether it's lack of space, finances, etc.)... and too many things, well... then you end up on a TV show that only plays on A&E.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:47 pm

found a new home for my Dangerous 2bus+ today. Sold on Reverb to someone who ended up being 35min from my house. I dropped it off / saw the home studio / ended up (very very likely) parlaying that into a bit of a consulting gig for the guy. All in all a pretty good day.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:27 am

as part of my current "I haven't used this in a couple years even though I really wanted it and thought I would use it..." gear purge, I sold off a vintage Traynor TR-1 spring reverb unit (tubes, built from '67-70). Also sold that drum kit with the "BB gun fight" finish. More to come (or go as it may be)...
Mike

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:56 am

seems all the musicians are back to being broke again, the stimulus and unemployment checks have long since dried up. my gear on reverb which is listed for bargain prices has sat for months. hopefully things will turn around soon

thepsychedelicdollhouse
takin' a dinner break

Post by thepsychedelicdollhouse » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:49 am

Recently I parted with:
Roland CR-68 drum machine
Joemeek VC1Qcs
80's EH Electric Mistress
EH Big Muff Pi (Rams Head)

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:16 pm

I shipped out my Antelope Orion 32+ Thunderbolt/USB audio I/O yesterday. I'm down to the last few odds & ends that I'm trying to unload (to pay for that which I recently acquired)

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:52 am

sold my other analog spring reverb -- a Pioneer SR202W that I had revived and then added 1/4" jacks. Cool reverb with a groovy, psychedelic green light, but as usual I'm too lazy to patch it in so instead, it just sat there. and when I don't use things, I tend to sell them off.
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:20 am

sold my Slate Digital ML-1. It had some nice models, and there were a few that I used quite a bit on a few projects, but then I found some other mics that worked better (without modeling plugins) and I liked them even better... (on other vocalists... not myself btw). but I have quite a few mics and didn't need this one. if I had only one or two mics I think this is a useful product (same could be said about the UA/Townsend Sphere).

Transferring plugins on an iLok is a PITA though - not that it's difficult, it's just that it costs you $25 per plugin (or $50 max per order). So I lost $50 right there. I don't mind paying a few bucks for the transfer but it's all automated online and $25/per seems excessive these days (considering some plugin prices are the same price or lower - luckily less and less are using iLok).
Mike

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:13 am

I just unloaded a 1950'a Lyra (United) parlor guitar. I've got the point that for anything new to come into the house and studio something has to go. I bought this one to learn some repair work on. I reset the neck and brought it back to life but didn't have much use for it afterwards. It feels nice knowing it's been revived and passed on to someone who'll use it.

IMG_20230104_161644784.jpg
IMG_20230104_161644784.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 7481 times
I also sold a banjo ukulele (my hands are too big for soprano uke) and a Korg SQ1 sequencer.

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Phobos » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:09 am

I recently let go an A Designs REDDI tube DI. Everyone says how amazing they are for bass but it just didn't do it for me. It was just OK. I prefer my Radial active DI.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:24 am

Phobos wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:09 am
I recently let go an A Designs REDDI tube DI. Everyone says how amazing they are for bass but it just didn't do it for me. It was just OK. I prefer my Radial active DI.
The REDDI is supposed to be an Ampeg B15 in a DI. So if you don't dig that sound, that makes sense. I sold mine too, i prefer just a nice passive DI with a funky transformer for color.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:35 pm

Sold my A-Designs ATTY. Thought I'd use it but then never did. Also sold the Meris 440 preamp. I would've kept that - and in fact thought about getting a 2nd - but instead decided to keep my pair of Capi VP312's (and everything else in the rack - I literally ran out of open slots - which is not uncommon for 500 series owners...).
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:07 pm

Financial whoas have hit me hard.
I got a fourth job and been working 60-80 hours a week, but also sold off some gear.
Warm Audio WA-412 (I can always buy another one whenever I'm tracking full bands at my house again.I've got 20 channels of pres anyways)
NORD Lead Rack (this hurt, but I need to keep my other synths)
DeltaLab Effectron II (I still have one more that is staying)
Lexicon MPX 100 (the Alesis Wedge does all I need for cheap outboard FX)
Avantone MixCubes (never liked them, the boom box with a stereo line in that I've been using for 20 years works for me)
Epiphone Valve Jr. head. (I"ll miss this, but can always get another low watt tube amp again)
Lexicon Vortex (a fun device i've had for over 20 years)
TOMB Ribbon with Joly Deluxe Mod (i have three ShinyBox ribbons so this was just redundant)
Oktava MK-219 with Dorsey Mod (Just didn't use it much)
A pair of crap MXL 1000's
Digitech Polara reverb (cool, but don't need 5 reverb pedals)
Digitech Obscura delay (cool, but don't need 5 delay pedals)

Things still for sale:
Arturia MiniBrute SE (fun, but not necessary)
EWI four channel active DI
TRM 2X12 speaker cab
2 Celestion G12H 55hz "black backs" from 1976 (one needs repair, also won't be mad if they don't sell)
Peavey Musician MkIII (ridiculously good condition, loud as fuck, and won't be mad if it doesn't sell)

Things I almost sold (but got that fourth job so fuck that)
Sovtek MIG 100 (i've had this since 1996. Said I'd never sell it, unless i got stupid money for it. Priced it at $850, which is high, but people are goofy. No bites, keeping it for now)

I had some high interest CC start to snowball due to house, car, cat emergencies/repairs all happening together during the pandemic when I wasn't brining in any additional income except my "day job" and all my savings disappeared.