Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:45 pm

trodden wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:07 pm
Financial whoas have hit me hard.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hope things are looking up for you quickly, trodden.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:06 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:45 pm
trodden wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:07 pm
Financial whoas have hit me hard.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hope things are looking up for you quickly, trodden.
Thanks Scodiddly. I at least have a plan of action now instead of laying awake at night, unable to fall asleep due to worry. Also getting (back) into the TV/broadcast audio world again. If I can work a couple games a month, I'll be good. I'm too old to be stocking grocery store shelves from 10pm to 6am three-four nights a week while also holding down a 40 hour "day job" along with 10-30 hours a week engineering for KEXP 90.3 or my freelance work.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:13 pm

Beyerdynamic M201TG. I'll probably want one again sometime but sometimes when I get new stuff, I force myself to purge other items that I have not used in awhile... I do also have an old Revox 3500 (with the Tuchel connector) that is very similar and for some reason I use that one more than I did the 201...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:12 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:13 pm
Beyerdynamic M201TG. I'll probably want one again sometime but sometimes when I get new stuff, I force myself to purge other items that I have not used in awhile... I do also have an old Revox 3500 (with the Tuchel connector) that is very similar and for some reason I use that one more than I did the 201...
WTF?!
ahahahha.
I'm wanting a second, even a third 201! (the Revox will also do).

Snare, Hat, and Guitar cab mic for me.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:44 am

trodden wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:12 pm
WTF?!
ahahahha.

well, I bought some other toys and now need to pay for those... and already sold the 201 locally.
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:49 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:44 am
trodden wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:12 pm
WTF?!
ahahahha.

well, I bought some other toys and now need to pay for those... and already sold the 201 locally.
Yeah, an additional Hairball Copper is definitely not a bad thing!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:06 am

sold a pair of FiveFish SC1-Mk500 preamps and a Danfield MXp20vpr. these are all examples of a "clean" and high-gain preamps, but since I got the Focusrite ISA Two, I felt it did the same thing and I usually only need a pair of channels at once (especially for ribbons). I'll probably regret selling that Danfield (93dB gain!!?? :shock: ), and interestingly enough it's going to a fellow drummer and someone that is more "well-known" than myself.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:26 am

I have the ISA One - I am not a drummer, see - it is really cool with easily enuff gain for ribbon mic's onna 50' line I often use it for a room mic (Shinybox 23L), paired witha a UA110 for whatever amp mic, lately I use a CatPipes booster but it's not necessary, just easier and a bit cleaner, the impedance settings are cool, and the metering, I have the digital i/o, never used it
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:10 am

yeah, I'd rather use a well designed preamp (with enough gain) vs adding another boost. I mean I have one and I'll do it if I have to, but the ISA has up to 80dB gain and I that's enough for any of my ribbons (and I have several). And it's clean. I've used the A-Designs P1's but at 65dB gain (I think) I have to crank them up pretty high.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:18 pm

FWIW, the Eureka can do it - at 54 - but not near as well; my UA stuff is in the 70's, so it works.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:17 pm

yeah, I use my LA-610 with a SM-7B all the time and it has plenty of gain - never need the cloudlifter!
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:57 am

I used a Millennia HV-3D/8 for the first time the other week. It's been in the racks forever, but I always shy'd away from it from just hearing hearsay on the internets, and just stuck with all the Neve, API, Great River, and Trident 80B for preamp options at this studio. I wanted to try this RCA BK5 (equipped with the crazy looking softball sized windscreen) that's also been sitting there taunting me for the last 10 years, knowing it needs a ton a of gain, plugged it into the Millenia, put it in front of the 4X12 cab, and it sounded really fucking cool!.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:18 am

trodden wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:57 am
I used a Millennia HV-3D/8 for the first time the other week. It's been in the racks forever, but I always shy'd away from it from just hearing hearsay on the internets, and just stuck with all the Neve, API, Great River, and Trident 80B for preamp options at this studio. I wanted to try this RCA BK5 (equipped with the crazy looking softball sized windscreen) that's also been sitting there taunting me for the last 10 years, knowing it needs a ton a of gain, plugged it into the Millenia, put it in front of the 4X12 cab, and it sounded really fucking cool!.
Those are fantastic preamps. Not what your reach for if you want a flavour or color. If you want a straight wire with gain they are the shit.
The BK5 is also a gem. There used to be a studio here in Toronto that did some work out of that had a few. I lusted after them for years after using them.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:30 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:18 am
trodden wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:57 am
Those are fantastic preamps. Not what your reach for if you want a flavour or color. If you want a straight wire with gain they are the shit.
The BK5 is also a gem. There used to be a studio here in Toronto that did some work out of that had a few. I lusted after them for years after using them.
Now I really can't wait for my next session there because of that combo! All these years, handful of records tracked there, both of them sitting right in front of me. Not that the Royer 121/Great River combo is bad, not at all, but the BK5 was just different and blended great with the 57 also on there since the Royers were used as spaced pair behind the drummer.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:11 pm

sold my pair of Warm Audio WA-87 mics (I picked up some other mics - see the "acquired" thread...). also sold a few drum items I had not used in a couple years (roto-toms, cymbals, etc) and a guitar that I do not know how to play (well).
Mike