Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Post by kslight » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:23 am

Sold my Yamaha YC45D, Supro s700, malekko id600 (sad emoji), some mics…still some things yet for sale.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:39 am

Sold a Yamaha Oak Custom drum kit I had acquired recently. I liked it OK, but didn't really love it (I like the RC's and Beech shells better). so I sold it (so I can buy something else, and it was taking up precious space in the studio). Also sold a pair of AKG C 451B's that I had sitting on my hihat and ride cymbals. I never used them for anything else (honestly they were too crispy to me for acoustic guitars...) and decided I could sell them and buy something else too. Currently using the pair of Slate ML-2's I also had and they are working fine as hihat/ride mics.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:40 am

it's kinda OT, but I had an old jam box/boom box (whatever you want to call it). A Crown CSC-950, that I bought when I was in 9th or 10th grade? So I've had it for many years, and it was mostly just collecting dust in my garage, but I would turn it on for the FM radio if I was working out there. I had not used the cassette deck in years and the thing needed a recap and would "pop" every time it turned on or off (sometimes even popping my GFCI). But wouldn't you know, Taylor Swift used the exact same one in her video (Shake it Off) and suddenly people were trying to sell them for $250-$900 online to Swifties. So, I put mine up locally for $120 and ended up getting $90 (and the cassette did not work - it played back at about 1/4 speed lol). I don't even remember what I paid for it but couldn't have been too much more than what I got back lol. Thanks Taylor! :worthy:
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:24 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:40 am
it's kinda OT, but I had an old jam box/boom box (whatever you want to call it). A Crown CSC-950, that I bought when I was in 9th or 10th grade? So I've had it for many years, and it was mostly just collecting dust in my garage, but I would turn it on for the FM radio if I was working out there. I had not used the cassette deck in years and the thing needed a recap and would "pop" every time it turned on or off (sometimes even popping my GFCI). But wouldn't you know, Taylor Swift used the exact same one in her video (Shake it Off) and suddenly people were trying to sell them for $250-$900 online to Swifties. So, I put mine up locally for $120 and ended up getting $90 (and the cassette did not work - it played back at about 1/4 speed lol). I don't even remember what I paid for it but couldn't have been too much more than what I got back lol. Thanks Taylor! :worthy:
That's rad. I love Boom Boxes with line ins. I've got an older one (not as cool as yours) that I use as a monitor source since it has line ins.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:20 am

trodden wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:24 am
That's rad. I love Boom Boxes with line ins. I've got an older one (not as cool as yours) that I use as a monitor source since it has line ins.
it did have 1/8" Aux connections but I don't recall if they were line in or out? I think they may have been "in". It had mic input and phono jacks too!
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:39 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:40 am
So, I put mine up locally for $120 and ended up getting $90 (and the cassette did not work - it played back at about 1/4 speed lol). I don't even remember what I paid for it but couldn't have been too much more than what I got back lol. Thanks Taylor! :worthy:
Mighta got that US$900 if you had writ "T+K" onnit in magic marker ...

..., better yet, bright red lipstick.

:high:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:34 pm

sold my Mojave Audio MA-101fet today. They don't make them anymore, but I was not using it much (since I had only 1 of them) and now I just got a pair of SE8's so I'm hoping they sound pretty good too.
Mike

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:06 pm

A worn-out and buzzy Wurlitzer spinet piano (not a Wurlie, mind you). Literally disassembled it as a learning exercise as well as to get rid of it.

Really should have made a video, or at least recorded some of the soundboard noises. It took about one hour to get the keys, action, trapwork, etc off of there. Then another hour to remove the strings... then a couple days to remove the tuning pins. By far the most work was those @#$@#$ pins, over 200 of them and all like removing a properly Loctited bolt. Then another hour to remove the plate (that cast iron harp thingy) and the back of the piano.

Turns out the plate is the heaviest part, like "professional sound guy could barely pick it up and carry it out to the garage" heavy. Ampeg SVT heavy. I had been thinking of hanging it on the wall above my desk, but no way. I couldn't afford the insurance on something like that. Some local scrap picker is going to be very lucky next trash day. Or unlucky, depends on how bad his back already is.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:09 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:06 pm
Turns out the plate is the heaviest part, like "professional sound guy could barely pick it up and carry it out to the garage" heavy. Ampeg SVT heavy. I had been thinking of hanging it on the wall above my desk, but no way. I couldn't afford the insurance on something like that. Some local scrap picker is going to be very lucky next trash day. Or unlucky, depends on how bad his back already is.
I remember as a kid, some neighbors had an old upright in their basement that they did not want anymore. So they tasked us kids (along with their kids) with disassembly. We had so much fun but we mostly used hammers (which did make cool sounds). And yes, the cast iron plate was so heavy - I think several adults had to actually carry that out. Took several weeks I think but eventually it was taken out, piece by piece, to the trash lol.
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:10 am

Sold my Mojave audio MA-201fet. I still have the MA-301fet (which is the multi-pattern version) and a MA-1000 (tube mic, 251 style) that I am keeping.
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:33 pm

sold the two MD-421's (that I had threatened to sell earlier...) and mentioned in the acquired thread, that more than paid for the 3pk of ATM230's that I got. I still have 2 MD-421's, and a MD-441, so I can use those for drums if I want... but happy with the 230's for now. And now that they aren't locked up on my kit, the 421's might get used on sax or guitars, or who knows...
Mike

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alexevansohio » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:45 pm

Today I finally shipped off six channels of Neotek Series I strips that someone mounted in a plywood box and soldered to a power supply and a snake. Pretty it was not, but they sounded good. I kept threatening to get them cleaned up and rack-mounted in a nice enclosure with phantom power and a new PS. Never found the time or funds to make it happen, and I needed the space back, so off to Reverb they went. I didn’t really need six channels anyway, so I ended up finding a pair of very neat germanium pres and EQs from a 60s Hungarian broadcast desk to replace them. Might also grab a pair of cool JLM Jensen-style pres a friend of a friend is selling.

Also on the selling docket is a really lovely Aiwa VM-20a ribbon mic and a 1960 Gibson Crestline series GA-5T Skylark guitar amp. Both super cool, both not getting as much use as they ought to. Feel free to message me if you’re interested before I manage to get pictures and post to Reverb.

easyrider
audio school

Post by easyrider » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:30 am

Sold Apollo Solo I bought to try out Unison…

Put the money towards a Neve DPX.