Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 20, 2020 6:19 am

Seeing how the "Latest Gear You've Acquired..." thread has been going strong for awhile I thought it might be interesting to talk about gear you have parted with as well. What did you get rid of? Did you sell it? Give it away? Stolen? Lost? Dog ate it?

With the great pandemic of 2020 I haven't been doing much selling (to avoid face to face transactions). So the last thing I recall selling, was my Advanced Audio CM47 tube microphone. But it came back... Unfortunately the carrying case was damaged in shipping and the power supply stopped working too. I had the buyer ship it back and I was able to repair the power supply (it took quite a jolt because it broke a solder joint of a wire going from the PCB to the power switch). The case was beat up pretty badly but I was able to get it functional again with the help of some duct tape (doesn't look quite as nice anymore). But the mic still works fine. And I had packed it in a lot of bubble wrap so the shipper really f--d it up. So I'm not going to try shipping it again if I decide to sell it again. that and I've already lost $$ on it... but I have a pile of stuff that I'll probably put up on my local Craigslist as soon as it feels safe again.

Anyway, what have you recently un-acquired?
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed May 20, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 am

I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a bunch of stuff sitting idle that I’d like to part with but not in the present situation. My mixing has moved more in the box over the last few years so there’s lots of rack gear that’s not getting the love.

My list -

Art Pro VLA - I liked it well enough but never ever use it these days.

2 Urei graphic EQs - don’t remember the model number. I often used them as line amps (it’s the same transformer and line amp as the 1176) and hp/lp filters. They were great in front of the plate reverbs at my old studio. Now that I’ve moved and don’t have plates to play with they sit idle.

Tascam 122 cassette deck. I used to use it for slapback but haven’t fired it up in ages.

Alesis micro limiter - I have 2 for some reason.
Last edited by A.David.MacKinnon on Wed May 20, 2020 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed May 20, 2020 7:26 am

marantz pmd740 - wonderful cassette 4 track, rolls royce really. but i'm doing the tascam 488mkII for now, and i hate unused gear so its on the block.

fostex model 80 reel - i downsized to cassette tascam 488mkII. it's cheaper, more portable, more minimal (mixer included). this really is a great machine, 15 IPS and it truly sounded so much better than the Tascam 388's i owned.

hofner 164 electric guitar - their take on a jaguar, it's cheap but wonderful german build, i've got a 78 musicmaster i love so this is gone since i don't play much guitar.

hohner combo pianet - cool electric piano but i love my hohner pianet T and like i said i hate unused gear, so it's on the block. it doesn't have the sustain of the Pianet T, or the mellow tone, it's more of a wurly type sound, and i dig the more mellow T sound.

seamoon funk machine - wonderful envelope filter pedal of many noted bassists. i'm a filter junkie and i've tried em all but never this one. it just doesn't work well with the tones i go for (passive, flatwounds). if i had an active bass and rounds it would be killer but i don't.

electro harmonix octave multiplexer - i was using this with a synth that didn't have a big bottom end for bass stuff. i sold that synth and got one that goes down low. tried it with guitar and bass but it didn't gel, off to the reverb.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am

I've got an SWR bass head that blows fuses that was kind of abandoned at my place. I keep thinking about the cost/benefit of getting it working and then selling it off. Not a fun chore, but it's wasted space right now.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 am

I'm giving serious thought to getting rid of about half my microphones. I have too many microphones.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 20, 2020 12:24 pm

I sold my 421s a while back. I just wasn't using them. I prefer a couple things on toms lately, and never really liked them on much else. I know a ton of people use them on guitar amps, but in 20+ I don't think I ever didn't swap out a 421 for something else on guitar.

I'm terrible about selling. I have an Orban 622 EQ a barely use, same for my Yamaha SPX900 (or 990, the one space guy). I bought one of those mic robot things and have never used it.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 pm

I just sold one of those dynamount robotic mic stand things. Fell in love with the idea of it, used it twice in as many years.

If something in my studio sits unused for a year or so, chances are it’s going on Reverb/eBay. Microphones being the exception. My obsession with microphones is not a healthy one.

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Wed May 20, 2020 2:23 pm

I picked up a Chameleon Labs 7802 compressor to go with my CL7602 pre/EQ, but it just didn't make the vocal chain happen as I'd hoped. A dbx160XT stepped in to fill the compressor role and the CL is sitting on the edge of a sofa waiting for someone to offer it money and a new home.
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 20, 2020 6:34 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 am
I'm giving serious thought to getting rid of about half my microphones. I have too many microphones.
How many is too many?
One man's too many is another man's not enough.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed May 20, 2020 8:01 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:34 pm

How many is too many?
Somewhere north of 50?

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu May 21, 2020 6:47 am

I'm probably somewhere around the same, although I've lost count. I don't necessarily feel like I have too many but there are some that I would happily swap for something different. Or more realisticly I'll probably just buy more.

Mics are my biggest gear vice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu May 21, 2020 7:44 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:47 am
Mics are my biggest gear vice.
Same. I'm thinking I need to thin down the duplicates though (3 RE11s, 2 RE10s, probably 4 shure 545s, etc.) --maybe sell 10 to buy one or two cool and different things.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu May 21, 2020 8:47 am

I have the opposite problem: I keep buying mics that would make sense as a pair for stereo mic'ing, and then wanting something novel and unique to my collection instead of shelling out the dough to make a pair. I only have one pair of mics. It would make total sense for me to double down on my GT MD1a, Cascade Gomez,4038, m160, and Mojave 301 fet, but new things are always calling.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu May 21, 2020 3:21 pm

I go back and forth between buying too many preamps, or buying outboard equipment that I end up never using, or buying too many mics... it's just part of the sickness.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 22, 2020 12:59 am

Mics, pres, compressors, amps, guitars, basses, pedals - I even have a "few" keyboards tho' I don't really play keys ...

Life is good. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.