Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:38 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:55 am
but i've since switched to short scale (and lighter) basses, and this thing just hangs on the wall and i never play it. i'd love to keep it for sentiment, but it's worth too much and i'm broke.
I've been thinking about looking for a bass guitar strictly on ergonomics - I still have shoulder damage from years of playing upright and my old P-bass. I'm much happier not playing bass at all right now, but I'd like to be able to do it again without the pain.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:01 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:38 pm
markjazzbassist wrote:
but i've since switched to short scale (and lighter) basses, and this thing just hangs on the wall and i never play it. i'd love to keep it for sentiment, but it's worth too much and i'm broke.
I've been thinking about looking for a bass guitar strictly on ergonomics - I still have shoulder damage from years of playing upright and my old P-bass. I'm much happier not playing bass at all right now, but I'd like to be able to do it again without the pain.
Ever play a Beatle bass (Höfner or knockoff)?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:22 pm

CraigS63 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:01 pm
Scodiddly wrote:
markjazzbassist wrote:
Ever play a Beatle bass (Höfner or knockoff)?
Oddly enough I've been liking my piano bass lines enough to consider just going keyboard instead. Embrace the Ray Manzarek, instead of trying to emulate bass guitar cliches. Were it not a global pandemic I'd at least be trying out different basses, though. If I could get my left arm & hand into the same position as an acoustic guitar I'd be in a good starting place.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:36 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
I highly reco the Hohner BA or the Steinie wood one - they sound great, weigh nothin', are fairly inexpensive used.

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:23 am

I went through a cross-country move (Los Angeles to Nashville) 2 years ago and unloaded a LOT of my equipment. It was a tough decision, but I decided that things I bought but hadn't used much weren't worth moving, broken things weren't worth moving, things that were heavy but easy to replace weren't worth moving, and some things had to go to fund the move in the first place.

so here's the stuff I sold off, by category

Things I just wasn't using:
Revox PR99 reel to reel
A big box of NOS 1/4" Quantegy 456
SPX90
Carvin 4x10
Music Man 2x10
weird solid state 70s Ampeg PA head
Sunn Concert Bass head
a few guitars that never really did it for me, like a Squire jazzmaster, a Les Paul studio, and a plywood top Yamaha 12 string acoustic

Broken things:
ARP Pro DGS analog synth
Crumar piano that sounded like a bunch of bees
some non functioning Shure and EV mics, which sold for surprisingly high $

Difficult to move but easy to replace:
Mic stands. All of them - a bunch of beat up "5 for $100" guitar store tripod stands, a few cast iron base stands, and one big studio boom stand
Studio desk - it was a cool one, a wide and deep table sitting on two 15 space racks. Turned out to not be so easy to replace.

Sold off to fund the move:
1964 Fender Princeton
Apogee Rosetta 200
UA LA-610
Sound City 120 mk IV
1967 Sonor 3 pc drum set
tangentially music related: Hasselblad 500c/m camera and lens kit

2 years later, I stand by all of the decisions. Big bass cabinets and heavy heads are no longer things I need to be schlepping around. The LA610 was a great unit and I might buy another one, the Princeton has been replaced with a really nice Ampeg Reverberocket and the Sonor kit has been replaced with a super clean 1968 Ludwig Standard kit (in blue oyster pearl) that I blundered into at a pawn shop. Honestly the thing I got rid of that I miss the most was my 1957 Buffalo 18" slow speed drill press.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:08 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:36 pm
Scodiddly wrote:
I highly reco the Hohner BA or the Steinie wood one - they sound great, weigh nothin', are fairly inexpensive used.

I had the Hohner but it was a 5 string. Would have been great if it was a 4, but I didn’t like the low B on that one.

I got an Ibanez axb1000 at a pawn shop last year...that is great and for peanuts, for a fujigen Gakki built bass.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:55 pm

I have so many because they vary, humbuckers, jazz, PJ, active vs. passive, and strings; one has a drop-D tuner.

The two best are the fretless and the Steinberger - the latter is a step above due to its set-up and flats.

But they are all fun, all sound good, all portable and light and ergonomic, other than some have high action, which bothers me not much at all.

The Cort with three strings is set up D A X D (sometimes C G X G)- I use it for modifried Sandman.

The short one is a Hohner guitar.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:45 pm

vvv wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:55 pm
I have so many because they vary, humbuckers, jazz, PJ, active vs. passive, and strings; one has a drop-D tuner.

The two best are the fretless and the Steinberger - the latter is a step above due to its set-up and flats.

But they are all fun, all sound good, all portable and light and ergonomic, other than some have high action, which bothers me not much at all.

The Cort with three strings is set up D A X D (sometimes C G X G)- I use it for modifried Sandman.

The short one is a Hohner guitar.
I had a Cort headless guitar for awhile too. But didn’t stick around. The Ibanez is probably the closest I’ll get to a real steinberger (basically is but wood. Has the real steinberger bridge too not the licensed by...I had to replace all the claws in it, guy I bought the spares from didn’t believe me. Pretty rare model.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:40 am

sold a TCM-1050 (LDC tube mic) that I had modded to specs similar to the AA CM47. It sounded great, but was somewhat redundant on its own (meaning I would prefer to have a pair of something) and thus another Mojave MA200 is on the way...

All my Audix D2, D3, D4's now sold too (using Sennheiser MD421's instead). I kept the Audix i5 and D6 though. still use those sometimes.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:58 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:40 am

All my Audix D2, D3, D4's now sold too (using Sennheiser MD421's instead). I kept the Audix i5 and D6 though. still use those sometimes.
Nice. Do you ever use that D6 on floor tom? It was my only kick mic for a long time, but I recently got an RE20 so I decided to throw the D6 on the floor tom the other day and was pretty surprised at how great it sounded.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:07 am

Colorblind wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:58 pm
Do you ever use that D6 on floor tom?
tbh, never tried that (yet). I've been using an sE X1 D on an 18" FT lately and it sounds huge. And I use another one on outside kick. I'd probably buy more but they don't make them anymore.
Mike

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:04 pm

Got rid of a cymbal stand I didn't need. That's about it. :|

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:21 am

vernier wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:04 pm
Got rid of a cymbal stand I didn't need. That's about it. :|
Like many of us, you are probably still in "denial" :lol:
Mike

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 am

sold a pair of Mojave MA-200's. Not that I didn't like them but I had acquired pairs of some other mics and liked how they sounded (as pairs or as single mics) so it just didn't make sense to hang onto them and not use them.... I kept my MA101 and MA201 (both FET mics) and will probably be looking for a MA301 at some point.
Mike

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:23 am

i had some under-used dynamics / other fx, and utility stuff that was just occupying rack space in the basement... so I’ve sold I most of it, just waiting on a few others to find new homes:

Sold:
2 dbx 160X compressors
1 dbx 1066 comp/Lim/gate
1 dbx 1046 comp
1 Ebtech line level shifter (8ch)
4 Ebtech hum eliminators (2ch)
2 Furman PL-Plus rack power conditioners