Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Check in Thread

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:12 am

cgarges wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:05 am
these little "getaways" where we explore the world around us has been nice. I grew up in this city and I'm seeing all kinds of stuff that I never knew existed.

If this sounds AT ALL interesting to you, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I've been doing something similar here but on foot. Toronto is full of river valleys and hidden ravines. I've lived here almost 30 years and never really ventured into them. This spring my 7 year old son, the dog and I have been going on nature adventure walks in the ravines. It's amazingly restorative. It's possible to walk half way across this dense, very urban city in parks and woods and only have to cross a few streets on the way. Who knew the was so much nature hidden away here?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:23 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:12 am
cgarges wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:05 am
these little "getaways" where we explore the world around us has been nice. I grew up in this city and I'm seeing all kinds of stuff that I never knew existed.

If this sounds AT ALL interesting to you, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I've been doing something similar here but on foot. Toronto is full of river valleys and hidden ravines. I've lived here almost 30 years and never really ventured into them. This spring my 7 year old son, the dog and I have been going on nature adventure walks in the ravines. It's amazingly restorative. It's possible to walk half way across this dense, very urban city in parks and woods and only have to cross a few streets on the way. Who knew the was so much nature hidden away here?
My girl and I have been walking a lot. Its fun to just see different parts of out little area that we never needed to drive though, so we never saw. There are a lot of older houses, and the different styles, different "upgrades" or lack there of. Wondering what car might be under a tarp, seeing and meeting neighborhood dogs and cats, and people. It all pretty satisfying.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:02 am

Glad this thread is here. Making me feel a little comforted today on a day when I am otherwise despondent. Thanks for that.

Haven't been here in a minute. I've lived in East Lansing, MI and Royal Oak, MI since last I checked in when I was living in Hillsborough, NC. Back in Minneapolis now. Have lost of a lot of the folks I used to call community here.

I'm overjoyed to be living with really nice folks. Am in a position to be starting afresh, but this is not such a great time to be doing so. Have a temp job for the moment, though think it will be ending soon. Am on the hunt for more gainful employment (CMS/LMS jockey, web dev, library, helpdesk if anyone's got leads).

Hadn't done any recording in about two years; recently gotten back to it. That feels good at the least.

I'm about ten blocks from Cup Foods. So weird to see Lake Street which I hardly recognized anymore become less recognizable literally overnight.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:02 am
Haven't been here in a minute. I've lived in East Lansing, MI and Royal Oak, MI since last I checked in when I was living in Hillsborough, NC. Back in Minneapolis now. Have lost of a lot of the folks I used to call community here.
Welcome back.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:52 pm

I logged on tonight after a long time away from the board because an inner voice told me I’d find some kind of needed connection here. Thanks for starting this thread, Tony, and thanks to all who have responded.

The longer I quarantine, the larger the outside world seems to loom as some kind of monstrosity. Chipping away at a long overdue recording project (drums with Tony and Chris!) is helping keep me grounded.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:43 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 pm
Welcome back.
Thanks, Scodiddly! Glad to be back.

Welcome back, Mjau. Thanks drumsound for starting the thread.

Music.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:42 am

Nice to see both of you guys here!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:47 am

Glad to see some old friends returning to the fray. We're glad to have you back.

Keep creating.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Welcome back, Apropos of Nothing! Yeah,its pretty kooky here. Pockets of idiots still shooting each other. May I suggest Wood Lake Nature Center in Richfield (around 66th and Lyndale),Harriet Alexander Nature Center,on Dale street,about 1 mile north of HWY 36? It abuts A wildlife rehab center,where they regularly release small,medium,large critters back into the wild. Both parks have Bogwalks through tall foliage,as well as dockwalks (?) around multiple bodies of water,lotsa critters,and some peace and quiet. There are benches for parking and soaking it in. As for Cup-I think they closed again. Our drummer Jerry lives 4 blocks away,we spent a lotta time on the phone in the last few months. Singer in our band finally came back to rehearsals last thursday,which is really nice. Anyways,Welcome back!
I am the Walnut

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Plus,Grumpys Northeast is reopened,with social distancing,and I think Hazelmeyer is gonna do his summer Tiki party on July 25th at the Roseville Grumpys,with some pretty fun bands ,and the art,tiki stuff,posters,etc. It was a blast last year!
I am the Walnut

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Since I poked my head in the door to post in another thread, good to see that some of the familiar folks turned up in this thread.