Check in Thread

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Check in Thread

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:41 pm

Hello all. As I logged in I started to think about our little audio community and how spread out we all are, but how so much is happening everywhere.

I hope everyone is safe, healthy, mindful and musical.

I've been mostly tracking some drums for clients all over. Staying home a lot with my girl, and trying to get regular walks in.

I'm worried about people in bigger towns. Worried about family. Worried about people with health issues. Hoping no one's business are in trouble in any way.

I want to show support and solidarity to the Black Community, but I'm also scared for their and my safety in doing so.

How are y'all?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Check in Thread

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:17 am

I feel despondent. I spent most of my day yesterday bouncing between working on a podcast for my job (public library) and pacing around my property not knowing what to do. This is so rough. I watched a live feed of a close friend running from the police last night with tear gas in the background. It's so scary. Trump basically declared war on the protesters and baited all the far-right MAGA shitheals, which despite living in a relatively left-leaning and supportive community here in Albany, we are surrounded on all sides by rural america. If you go 10 mins in any direction, it becomes a very different culture and that makes me more afraid for those on the ground.

I want to go out and show support, but between the police violence, the fucking rednecks, and the pandemic, it's like crippling anxiety to think about that. I'm just trying to donate and share relevant things. But frankly, I feel mentally destroyed and exhausted. I haven't been able to work on music at all. I spent the last week getting everything in order to release our record that we've been working on for years and now I feel like it's so trivial. I suppose it is in the grand scheme of things, but it sucks.

I can't even fathom what people of color are going through.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:30 am

Pretty depressed from it all. I was on a creative streak last month, I wrote and recorded seven new songs and was having a blast. The news and the police brutality have me all anxious. I'm going to donate some money to a bail fund today for people who've gotten arbitrarily arrested.

I also got lost in a social media thread yesterday full of progressive white dudes snapping at each other and trying to be more woke. It seemed less than productive. I want the virus to go away. I want to feel safe bringing clients into my studio. I want police to be held accountable and feel accountable. I want my friends on unemployment to get their jobs back, or find new ones that deserve their energy and intelligence.

I have a songwriter zoom call we do around this collaborative project with six other dudes who are super talented and a treat to talk to. It almost feels indulgent to drink a beer and talk about chord progressions, and lyrical perspectives but I've decided we all need some joy to refill the tank- I'm not doing a service to any movement by moping around constantly.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:55 pm

I'm with you guys. Its terrifying, and I feel completely stuck as to what to do. My neighborhood is pretty quiet in the night these days. Last night was clear and cool and I stood on my porch, and looked at the stars, and tried to breathe. I prayed for the first time in a long time, to who, I'm not sure.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:21 pm

Wild and scary times. I also live in a sleepy town with no riots, but it's not that far to Chicago or even Waukegan where they've had violence. And definitely not happy about the police over-reacting and using unnecessary violence.

Already donated some money, will be doing more. Not much else I can really do at the moment.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:35 pm

Weirdness, indeed.

I got knocked off the local Patch while troll-fighting redhat dooshbags - apparently some comment I made - screw 'em. It's like 90% of that kinda crap and little to no moderation ... until you keep setting the weasels off (too many got banned?) and they moderate everyone.

Recording like crazy, doing a little work from home, drinkin' as little as possible, eating far too much, reading political blogs and a cuppla novels and TapeOp.

Annoyin' you fellers.

I did clean the garage and do some other chores.

And I bought a uke, so I can keep on annoyin' you fellers.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:45 pm

I feel anger.
I feel depression.
But mostly, hopeful for change that is so desperately needed in our country.

I, like many White Males, used to think politics did not matter, and they mostly did not, FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME.

Now, I know I have to be part of the change. Not just watch. I have been more involved in the community (working the polls), and will
join more groups to try to help make change.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Post Covid- drumming for a friends band and recording us live in the space (Soundcraft 200b-XR18,altec pres). masks. Weird vocal sound.
Playing guitar with band (minus singer),recording the same way. Fast 60's punk rock. a lotta out door breathers. Hard to sing loud through a mask.
Chasing rioters away from burning rehearsal space down.
Mixing old Live Soul Asylum and Gear Daddies shows.
After riots and burning started- chasing off white supremacists,ANTIFA,reporting license plateless cars and trucks to police (mostly no answer),patrolling neighborhoods,seeing the absolute worst in people,trying to stop a couple libraries getting burned down,seeing the absolute BEST in people,seeing a community band together and attempt to heal. Lake Street is torched. Family businesses gone. Rioters made sure to loot Apple stores,and all the other high ends as well. No grocery stores,pharmacies,necessities available. Local response for food need has been AMAZING. Then,seeing it pop up across the country. Remodeling homes during the day. Having long term best loved friends unfriend me because I'm not left wing enough. Could use some sleep.
I am the Walnut

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:19 pm

Let me Clarify- in the neighborhoods most needy of affordable food and access to pharmacies,thats where most of the idiots did their torching. The local response has been truly amazing,but it's really difficult to keep from crying,while we try to move forward. If I wasn't so mad,I'd be cryin.
I am the Walnut

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:13 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:19 pm
Let me Clarify- in the neighborhoods most needy of affordable food and access to pharmacies,thats where most of the idiots did their torching. The local response has been truly amazing,but it's really difficult to keep from crying,while we try to move forward. If I wasn't so mad,I'd be cryin.
Hang in there, let us know if you need anything at all.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:44 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:14 pm
Mixing old Live Soul Asylum and Gear Daddies shows.
I envy you this part, anyway.

G'luck, mate.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Hang tight everyone. Those of us north of the border are watching and hoping for the best possible outcome.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:11 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:44 pm
Hang tight everyone. Those of us north of the border are watching and hoping for the best possible outcome.
My wife and I have been debating the merits of life in BC vs Montreal, as our country is currently a shit show. Too bad you guys keep such tight control over your visas.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 pm

losthighway wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:11 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:44 pm
My wife and I have been debating the merits of life in BC vs Montreal, as our country is currently a shit show. Too bad you guys keep such tight control over your visas.
They don't want a bunch of americans coming in and ruing a good thing.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:49 am

As my good friend John Samson used to tell the American kids after ever show - America needs you to stay home and fight to fix things.
That's was back after Bush got elected again and all the liberal people were talking about moving to Canada. It's more important now.