zen recordist

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear and enlightenment, man

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 pm

I have that book too!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Random books in the garage displaced by the construction. Any connections purely coincidental. Goodnight, I'm going to bed.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 pm

My Aldous Huxley book, and this is true, has a very dark set of multiple 12 oz. circles on the cover, with numerous pin-holes in the middle, almost as if something was stuck there, burning under glass many years ago ...

Thinking back on that, helps me to accept the disconcerting vision of a VLA above a Distressor, etc.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 am

Ugh, that Lanois book put me into a rage when I read it.
I love a lot of his work but listening to him drives me mental.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 am

Stuff on the walls.

This issue of TapeOp had a great interview with Lanois. And that great article with Michael Brauer and his mix bus compression. It was the month of my daughter's birth and I dug the cover photo so up it went.

Wow A.David, I'll have to read Soul Mining again. I don't remember having issues with his writing voice, but I like his instrumental album Belladonna best of his music output.

Inspiration changes form over time. I was all about baseball as a kid. little league years I collected baseball and football cards. A local team, the A's, were doing well in those days. Raiders as well. I loved how Biletnikoff would make these incredible one hand grabs. The fact that he dipped his taped hands in a bucket of pine sap probably helped with that. But he was great and Stabler wasn't too shabby either. And Paul Warfield was a fav.

And Justin Colletti, aka fossiltooth, I still have those early Hotels albums in heavy rotation.

vvv wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 pm
My Aldous Huxley book, and this is true, has a very dark set of multiple 12 oz. circles on the cover, with numerous pin-holes in the middle, almost as if something was stuck there, burning under glass many years ago ...

Thinking back on that, helps me to accept the disconcerting vision of a VLA above a Distressor, etc.
Re: Huxley pin holes and flames. Elementary my dear Vlayman. He wanted to view an eclipse. He grabbed one of those florist vase-bottom placed pin pads and made multiple presses on the Huxley cover. He wanted a bigger view of the eclipse so tried using a magnifying glass between the sun and the book.. with mixed results. :)

Only reason the VLA is over the Distressor is logistics. The shallow profile of the vla makes it easier to access in a stack. Ditto the Symetrix 501 I just placed on top. (what's a patchbay?)

Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:55 am

An idle thought: As I look at that precarious stack of rack gear, I wonder if you have given any thought to getting a couple of rack rails and screwing everything in. It seems like a way to keep the stack stable without going so far as to put in an enclosure. I've actually considered doing that with some of my stuff, but I never have.

Also, it'd somehow be fitting if vlayman put the pinholes in Brave New World while reading Huxley's Doors of Perception. Or at least in the ballpark of fitting.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:40 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:55 am
An idle thought: As I look at that precarious stack of rack gear, I wonder if you have given any thought to getting a couple of rack rails and screwing everything in. It seems like a way to keep the stack stable without going so far as to put in an enclosure. I've actually considered doing that with some of my stuff, but I never have.

Also, it'd somehow be fitting if vlayman put the pinholes in Brave New World while reading Huxley's Doors of Perception. Or at least in the ballpark of fitting.
I'd worry that would make the stack less stable, and more prone to falling over as a whole...

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:57 pm

I'd seen how many studios had their stuff in racks with patchbays, but I got so tired of taking pieces in and out of racks and the patchbay thing was proving more hassle than its worth. For a one man operation I ended up just stacking my outboard gear. I made sure it was well balanced and on a stable surface, and I put several layers of that non-slip drawer bottom material under each piece as well. It has proved a good solution for my needs.

In such a small space now where I have to walk behind them often, I do find I brush against them all the time, and those rack ears are sharp! I still have the rails I used with this setup below which I could dig out and use.
But I do like the ability to swap things out easily. It's a heavy stack, and pretty immovable at the moment. I'm leaning towards taking off the remaining rack ears on the gear that permit it, and maybe wrapping a piece of foam with black cloth tape on the sharpest offenders as a compromise.

This setup below ended up being more of a proof of concept rather than practical. The cables hung down and got in the way. I just didn't have the space to move everything away from the wall to allow access, and I didn't want to hassle with a patchbay.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:04 pm

Dug out a couple more items to add to that stack. It is starting to get pretty tall. But still no to patchbays! Just no.

Square State model one b inductor based op amp eq and Meek VC3 channel. I believe Vlayman has one of these 1/2 rack Meek channel boxes he uses alot, or comparable model. This is the one with a tunable enhancer with drive rather than a straight up eq.

PS- Don't you love it when it's one in the morning this time of year, you've got the windows open and your neighbor lights off a festive M-80 or two in the driveway. I suppose it's payback for my similar deeds back in the day. Tonight I"m expecting a war zone, but it caught me off guard last night.
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:02 pm

Square State trivia: I wore my Square State Solid State t-shirt yesterday.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:28 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 am
Re: Huxley pin holes and flames. Elementary my dear Vlayman. He wanted to view an eclipse. He grabbed one of those florist vase-bottom placed pin pads and made multiple presses on the Huxley cover. He wanted a bigger view of the eclipse so tried using a magnifying glass between the sun and the book.. with mixed results. :)
Yep, that's how I remember it!

This is some of my rackables; the bottom little greenie atop the big 'un is the VC3Q:

You will note, of course, I fear not the patchbays.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:02 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:28 pm
You will note, of course, I fear not the patchbays.
now that's a stack! Mad scientist rig. Hard to make out exactly what all is in there.
What do you use the Joe Meek Studio Channel VC1Qcs for? Is that a summit above it?
I know you have a million amps, how often do you use the eleven?
Cool to see your setup!

Yeah, I will probably get a patch bay going at some point. I'm just dragging my feet.

------
The Scum wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:02 pm
Square State trivia: I wore my Square State Solid State t-shirt yesterday.
You have the model one b as well? How do you like it?

I was surprised to learn that Colorado is not a perfect rectangle and in fact has 697 sides. But it sure looks like a rectangle.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:10 pm

This is the bottom of that stack:

The VC1Q is a very vintage-sounding pre/compressor/EQ. I tend to use it for vocals; it is really good for a kinda slow, dirty sound.

Yeah, that's a Summit 2BA-221, again use mostly for vocals.

I bought the 11-Rack about 6 months ago and haven't really used it. I got it for like US$75 shipped and couldn't resist, but while it sounds great for fooling with, it's kind of a PITA to program patches, and tends towards metally/processed sounds by default. I often FX the fook outta my bass, so I like a more organic guitar sound then, and otherwise I like a more shoegazey guitar sound. I'm confident the 11-R can do that, but I've not had the time/interest in pursuing it right now as I'm using pedals and amps. But I may move residence next year when the spawn graduates and moves out as she promises/threatens, and so I may be using it more then ...

The stack is:
1176 clone
Meek C2 compressor
meek MC2 compressor
Symmetrix 522 compressor
DOD 866 compressor
Power
RNLA +RNC compressors
PM1000 racked pre
Patchbay x2
Rack 11 digi-guita pre/FX
dbx 160XT compressor
Altec 1889b pre
Meek VC3Q + Summit 2BA-221 pre/comp/EQ, pre
Meek VC1Q pre/cpomp/EQ
Eureka pre/comp/EQ
ADA Microcab cab simulator
Hafler T2 guitar pre
VLA compressor
Power
dbx 166XT compressor
ART TPS compressor
dbx 163X (sideways) compressor
Last edited by vvv on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:11 pm

You have the model one b as well? How do you like it?
I have several "model 1's" (pre b)...and I'm sitting next to the 2x6 protoptype that's probably a model 0. I liked them enough to make roughty 150 model one b's.

If there are fingerprints inside your unit, they're mine.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."