shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear and enlightenment, man

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:44 pm

It looks like it does, but eeeeesh, why even take the chance? That 5 string looks like it cost a fortune. Let's hope vvv's right and it's a closet.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Hello Janek,

My name is Shedediah O’Shrinessy and I’m a member of the Tape Op Messageboard forum. I have a question for you if I may regarding a photo of your pedal collection we all admired due to the layout of the shelving you utilized. (see attached)

Upon closer inspection we became alarmed by the proximity of your two basses on stands to the front of that door behind them. We reasoned that such an amazingly talented musician would surely have tested the door to make sure it cleared them.

One of our forum members however, Scotty Spacemore, did not echo this belief. In fact he felt that you surely must be cognitively compromised to even have them there at all regardless of a pre-determined safety margin. He is actually quite upset with you.

Fortunately your understudy, Mark Jahzzbasiste checked in to confirm that yes, you were aware of the door, and yes you had made clearance and furthermore you have always had excellent spacial cue recognition in general so All is well.

Keep up the good bass work, and have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Shedediah

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:43 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:44 pm
It looks like it does, but eeeeesh, why even take the chance? That 5 string looks like it cost a fortune. Let's hope vvv's right and it's a closet.
yeah it's a fodera, likely in the 10k region on price

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:02 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:43 pm
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:44 pm
yeah it's a fodera, likely in the 10k region on price
$9k with all those door dings in the back. This is your chance to pick up a "player's" bass at a good price.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:29 pm

:lol:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:13 pm

10k! Good god. I don't think all my instruments and amps combined add up to that much.

I can just picture the Kool-Aid Man busting through that door all "OH YEAH!", knocking over 5 figures worth of bass, looking down, making a sad face and squeaking out "oh no".

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:52 am

For 10K that thing should play itself and book high paying gigs.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:48 am

apparently you guys haven't gotten into the world of custom instruments. sure off the shelf stuff doesn't cost that much, but custom work (good!) can cost every bit of 10k+. if you are scared of that, don't even look at custom archtop guitars or ritter basses (made with rare hardwoods and gold/gems/etc).

honestly even fender custom shop stuff gets above 10k.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:58 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:48 am
apparently you guys haven't gotten into the world of custom instruments. sure off the shelf stuff doesn't cost that much, but custom work (good!) can cost every bit of 10k+. if you are scared of that, don't even look at custom archtop guitars or ritter basses (made with rare hardwoods and gold/gems/etc).

I know it exists, it just seems ridiculous to me.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:12 am

drumsound wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:58 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:48 am

I know it exists, it just seems ridiculous to me.
ah ok, yes i agree with that. it seemed morespaceecho was shocked that Peavey wasn't the top of line or something :mrgreen:

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 am

Mark, as our resident bass maniac* I've been meaning to ask you what weapons you wield in your arsenal? What’s your take on 5+ strings? Fretless? Door proximity?

*(no disrespect for other bass maniacs present intended nor implied)

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 am

shedshrine wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 am
Mark, as our resident bass maniac* I've been meaning to ask you what weapons you wield in your arsenal? What’s your take on 5+ strings? Fretless? Door proximity?

*(no disrespect for other bass maniacs present intended nor implied)
door proximity - my basses are hanging on the wall no where near a door :)

5 strings - i had one and sold it. i just tune my basses to Eb Ab Db Gb, so i have the low Eb. i play soul and jazz music mostly (those genres love the flats, so the Eb is a big need for me), some pop/rock but i don't ever need a low D or lower, so 5 string just isn't something i need. not really a big fan of them, 4 was enough for all the greats i see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

fretless - i had one for a long time, it's a very cool sound but a one trick pony. if you have a ton of money and want the whole arsenal (Fender J, Fender P, Hollowbody, Fretless, Something w/ Humbuckers, Upright) for your studio to cover every tone just in case, it's a great idea. but unless you're doing something original or jazz the fretless really isn't needed IMO.

for gear i use a 1969 fender jazz bass and a 1971 fender musicmaster bass. i have a 70's Hofner Violin Bass on the way as well. the fenders are strung with pyramid flatwounds, they have a lot of bass and midrange content and almost no treble. which is how i like it. i like more of a late 60's/early 70's motown or rudy van gelder electric bass tone. The Hofner might get flats or tapewounds, i haven't gotten it yet. I do love the Hollowbody tone though.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:44 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 am

fretless - i had one for a long time, it's a very cool sound but a one trick pony. if you have a ton of money and want the whole arsenal (Fender J, Fender P, Hollowbody, Fretless, Something w/ Humbuckers, Upright) for your studio to cover every tone just in case, it's a great idea. but unless you're doing something original or jazz the fretless really isn't needed IMO.
I was in Tall Toad Music in Petaluma about 10 years ago and they had a used Westone fretless for 2 bills on the wall that I fell in love with. The body was battered but the neck was pristine. Apparently it came originally in a special hard-case with interchangeable fretted and fretless necks.

Anyway, a fretless may be one trick as you say, but that growly tone you get sliding around.. awesome!. Mine’s got round wounds. I was afraid the ridges would scratch the fretboard but it hasn’t been a problem thus far.

Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:03 pm

Xxx

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:09 am

rounds on fretless is classic, that's what Jaco used. what some people do to make sure their fretless board doesn't become scuff up, is they have it finished with epoxy. it makes it smooth as glass and impenetrable. Jaco and many others have done this.

nice looking axe!