shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 am

This will be the third time I've built a "studio". Third time's the charm I suppose in that this is going to be an actual "up to code" structure. Having our spare bedroom/guest room/music listening room/my studio have to also become our office with the advent of working from home brought things to a head. There just wasn't any room to have anything setup anymore.

A little history. The first shedshrine was made of sheet rock, insulation and packing tape so that I could have a space to record while living in a tiny paper thin walled apartment in Japan. It was 4' x 8', just big enough to swivel on a drum stool between a little Roland TD-9 kit and a metal framed rack that I made out of shelving rails that housed an original adat, a mackie 1604, a mesa-boogie studio pre (which I ran vox, bass, and guitar through) and a Korg A3 fx box. I also had a Korg M1 keyboard that I would lay across the drumset when recording as well. I put some sliding hinges that allowed the Mackie to hand down as shown below or fold up and lock into a horizontal position once I was seated. I had a nice boombox I'd set across the rack gear come mix time, but most of the mixes were done with headphones and mixed down to minidisc players which were coming out fast and furious at the time in Japan. I could go about 20 minutes at a time with the door closed before oxygen became a concern.

I'd love to remix a lot of (read:all) of those tracks I made with that setup as those headphone mixes didn't end up translating well in most cases, but my recording methods were pretty haphazard at the time. For instance, I might have a guitar rhythym track I recorded to a a track on a four track cassette or to minidisc while playing along to a drum machine that I'd bounce to adat that I'd build up and then loop while trying out vocals and capturing on the minidisc. Therefore the "mix" is the vocal track. It was all about capturing the idea, having individual tracks to mess with later was not on my radar.

This photo was taken when I was moving out and had to disassemble shedshrine 1.0

The second shedshrine was a step up in that I actually had wood framing of sorts, 2x2's offset staggered on each side of 2x4 baseplates in a spare condo bedroom. I don't know that any photos of that are to be found.

Now with the help of my contractor brother I have a real room within a room structure in the works. Not very large, but I was not going to take over the entire garage, as cool as that would have been. The internal dimensions will be just 11'2"L x 8'4"W x 9'H. 12 electrical outlets (a four pair outlet plate and four doubles), 2 fire code steel clad doors, one opening out to the side yard, one opening into the rest of the garage. And an additional circuit to run some kind of ventilation/air conditioning to be determined.
I will add stuff to this thread as events unfold.

My brother added a box on the right there that is a grey pvc pipe that opens on the ceiling, currently capped and ready for any new technology to come down the pike to route through.
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: shedshrine 3.0 build

Post by drumsound » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:17 pm

Cool, man. I look forward to watching this.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:31 pm

Very cool. Nothing like having your own space dedicated to being creative.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Nice! Keep the pix coming. I love seeing a studio getting built. Especially when it's not my own and I don't have to do any work!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:48 pm

I'll tell ya, after a week of putting on a carpentry belt, I have renewed respect for my brother's line of work. I was sore as hell, especially my hands and back. He's going to finish it up this week,doing the mud, tape, door installs and hooking up the electrical.

Fun facts I learned. He's adding two 20 amp circuits running 12 gauge wire, one just for the ventilation. Apparently code only required 15 amp/14 gauge wire in our area for outlets when the place was built in '89.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:07 pm

8) 8) 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:49 am

shedshrine wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:48 pm
I'll tell ya, after a week of putting on a carpentry belt, I have renewed respect for my brother's line of work. I was sore as hell, especially my hands and back.
Pretty much every move you make as a carpenter is hard on the hands/wrists/elbows. So many repetitive motions. And if you're working on the ceiling everything is 20x more difficult.

Pretty sure 15amp/14ga is still code for normal outlets. 20/12 is nice though! My studio building came pre-wired with all 20 amp fuses, that was a sweet bonus.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:55 pm

Construction, and even destruction, is no joke. I helped my landlord gut and rebuild a place and it kicked my ass!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Especially demolition. A friend is a contractor and he said they subcontract all the demo out. "All my guys are over 40, my lead carpenter is 60. Demo is a young man's game. We get the 20 year olds to swing the sledgehammers."

When I built Old Colony v1 back at the loft, it was 2 weeks of demo before I could even get started. My mantra at the time: "I can't wait to turn a screw clockwise."

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:16 pm

My daughter did the nail mud work. Apparently the pros just get a drywall knife full of mud and slide it down a line of nails, but mere mortals do it one nail at a time. She had control of the spotify feed, I was introduced to a band called Crumb.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:59 pm

looking awesome! is the garage a 2 car or 1 car garage? will you still be able to park a car in there after this?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:31 pm

It's a two car garage, but even before the build our cars were relegated to the driveway. In any case the sound room is not large, only takes up a little over a 1/4 of the garage interior.

To make room for the build I basically boxed everything out there and placed it on half of a huge tarp in the backyard against the fence and folded the other half of the tarp over the stuff. A stuff burrito. I will have to channel my best Marie Kondo when it comes time to move stuff back in. Each individual thing better spark some serious joy.

as for furnishings, among a Roland TD25 kit, an oak storage dresser, (and a main desk to be determined by how much space I have to practically work with) will be this Ikea shelving minus the vinyl, speakers and computer. Those little cubes are the perfect size for those steel reinforced blue plastic milk crate looking storage containers. I can store ac adaptors, cables, percussion things, manuals and the like. The big space there can be storage for small tube amps. The shelving comes up about chest height, so on top I'm thinking lining up my off-duty pedals. Visualization man.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:04 pm

It's like a tiny house!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Yep, and this tiny house is now electrified! Many places were all out of these breaker/AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interruptors) as production had come to a halt apparently. My brother got the one remaining at Lowes, the white one, and the purple one from a local shop. He put the purple one on the outlets, the white one on the ventilation circuit.

Next up are the fire door installations. After that paint. and after that ventilation. Checking out Grainger for options in that regard.

Gratuitous freaky pic:

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm