shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by shedshrine » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:38 pm

Had to look up your Martin EM-18..

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by The Scum » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:25 pm

They look a bit Jerry-inspired, but they're not Jerry's so nobody was interested at the time.

Put the Guild B-series, Gibson S-1 and some early Kramers in the same bucket. Great guitars that had a stronger second-hand life.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 am

reminds me of a "Vantage" guitar a dude I knew back in high school had. looked something like this one...

https://reverb.com/uk/item/4938058-rare ... -japan-mij

that butcher-block look, which I also thinks looks kinda cool.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 am

Whoever owned that one really hated E strings.

I like the look of all of these, that Martin especially. Demerits for the volume knob in the strat position (big pet peeve), but the one you're getting has the knobs les paul style so no problem there.

Anyway: the Memphis Les Paul! This was technically my first guitar too, my little brother had one and I swiped it (how Van Halen of me, no?). I played that until I got my first Kramer (as Van Halen as you could get in 1985).
shedshrine wrote:so I've been enjoying my guitars (as one should). All these various configurations, tones and variations of feel. they are incredibly fun to collect I am finding.
Same. I'm finding having a variety of them around really helps to up the practice time cause I play one for awhile, then I feel bad for neglecting the others, so they all get some time. I'm in love with both of the Charvels, so comfortable. And I've come back around to my strat and tele, really enjoy both of those as well. Having gotten used to the forearm contour on the Charvel tele, the lack of it on the Fender is really noticeable, and it's a problem, so I'm gonna get my fine woodworker brother over here and we're gonna cut some contours into that thing, fuck it.

Next thing I get is gonna be a body and neck from Warmoth, gonna put together a custom dealie. Gotta pay the taxman first though.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 am
or had some kind of contest with the bass player? oh yeah? I can play with 4-strings... watch me!

then again I thought I heard The Presidents of The United States of America did that album without all strings...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 am
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 am
or had some kind of contest with the bass player? oh yeah? I can play with 4-strings... watch me!

then again I thought I heard The Presidents of The United States of America did that album without all strings...
Yeah, the Presidents were a 3 or 4 string guitar and 2 string bass.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Starting over.

At a musicians flea trying out guitars and I picked this one up that I just couldn’t play. I couldn’t get my hands to move correctly on it, I was blanking on what went where. My brain was getting very frustrated with my extremities, let me tell you.

This particular guitar had the neck facing the wrong way, sticking out in the opposite direction from what I was used to, though at least the control knobs were where they should be given such a configuration.

Back around 1980 when I found myself wanting to graduate beyond air guitar on a tennis racket, it didn’t occur to me that my natural inclination of wiggling the fingers of my right hand meant I should probably have gone with one of these guitars mentioned above. But the vast majority of available used and new guitars kind of dictated a different approach at the time and I didn’t know any better.

Last week I bought that unplayable guitar. A decent playing and set up used starter guitar that was not meant for my kind. Just for the challenge.

And in use? Very humbling. Flashback time in a big way. Remember looking at each hand individually to make sure the finger placement is correct, and
adjusting placement because some of the darn notes in the chord are muting and buzzing. In other words, it was a return to square one.

After about 20 minutes of that daily I gladly set it down, pick up an opposite guitar and breathe a sigh of relief that I haven’t forgotten how to play that way.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:33 pm

One could make the argument that the dominant hand should be responsible for rhythm, while the other hand just has to keep up by making shapes.

I'm still grappling with playing two-handed piano, like a bass line with chords. Much time spent with a metronome and just one hand, then the other hand, then another attempt at both together. Somewhere down the line I've even managed to add vocals to a couple songs.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:10 pm

Goodonya, shedshrine.

I'm having related but less intense similar experiences with mandolins, and 5-string bass.

And tunings ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:17 am

shedshrine wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:38 pm
Had to look up your Martin EM-18..
I once had the bass version of this ..a 70s Martin bass.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:16 pm

Shed, can we get a close up of that old school radio? I'm a real sucker for them, got a little collection going here.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 pm

Sure. The topic of these old style radios actually came up in the big vinyl thread, so I'm re-posting pics below from page 25 + 26 of that. (Plus two new ones of the big guy)
Looking forward to seeing your radios!

I've got a little 1960 export model Telefunken Gavotte 5353w. It's a tubed model with American car grill influence. MIDI cable sized input, I've got a RCA to (customized:some pins removed) MIDI cable working fine for that one, actually a shop configured it for me when I had it gone over. 4x6 in front, tweeters on each side. Haven't messed around with the shortwave channel. There's an extension speaker out in the back ( with a custom connection of some bygone era).

The big guy is a Telefunken Opus 7, their top of the line unit in 1956/1957. It came in two cabinets, one an older style fabric grille, and this one with the updated wood slatted grill. 26 x 16.3 x 11 inch . Picked that up in 2011.

Telefunken put out a stereo version soon after, and that was about it for the tube era for these radios as transistors took over.

We're spoiled for bass now, but with a custom rca to DIM cable I can get a nice tube-ified mono signal through it's speakers. At close range in its intended tabletop location it will put out a surprisingly tweakable full range signal. Dedicated bass and treble contols, which will work in tandem with several eq presets for "jazz" "solo" "orchestral" "intimate"?! and extra bottom "bass".
Both units excel in the mids. The Opus 7 has the fuller sound.

If you're interested, here's the story on getting that one up to snuff. I took it to a semi-retired radio tech in SF who had had a repair shop since the fifties.
http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270410

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:05 am

Those are real beauties! Thanks for the pix. Also I like that you have a Rush sticker on a Joy Division poster. Man of diverse tastes!

Here's a few of my radios, none of them work, which is fine:

And since this is the thread where we talk about guitars, here's my latest:

I never really thought twice about any offsets, and if anything I was biased against them cause an old roommate had a Jazzmaster that was very unfun to play, but this guy was on the wall at GC and really caught my eye. I traded them a bunch of junk and walked out with this and 48 bucks.

Stock bridge was a joke, I couldn't even get the low E to intonate, so replaced that with a Mastery. Much better. The 24" scale length is just straight up goofy. I have little hands and it still feels like a toy. In a good way! Between that and the JM trem (what a glorious, musical thing that is) it's just super fun to play.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:33 am

Elvis C. really made me conscious of Jizzmasters and Sonic Yout' made 'em cool but it took J. Mascis to get me to buy one*.

They are fun instruments, and unlikely heroes at the point of feedback.

Mine is a Revelation brand (RJT-60) with Entwhistle pups.

I keep almost buying a cheaper Chinese variation and upgrading it ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:11 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:05 am
And since this is the thread where we talk about guitars, ...
Cool old radios Scott!

Huge floor standing Philco radio at Wentzel's radio repair shop:

Great, now I've got to get an offset. :)

I often play that left handed strat late at night. When I wake up at 1 or 2 every night as I tend to, I reach over and grab it and play it on my back in the dark for 20 minutes or so then go back to sleep. (unplugged and without a pick to keep the volume down as the mrs. saws logs nearby) It works, for all you insomniacs out there.

I bet that offset feature would be awesome in that scenario because your forearm would not be resting on a corner as much, even though "regular" sets are beveled as well. Actually, it probably makes absolutely no difference..