shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by shedshrine » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:02 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:32 pm
Basses, shmasses....
What about thevoice of Geddy Lee?
(how did it get so high?)
Well, with his writing voice he sure filled in a lot of gaps in my bass knowledge. For example, did you know most ocean-going bass can be caught with fly fishing technique? I sure didn't.
And the book has such wide ranging discussions. Touching on his arborist experience, it turns out some oaks don't like the way they're made, and some maples are actually more than happy in their shade.
It's a very compelling compendium for the working man. I certainly didn't want to rush through it.
Last edited by shedshrine on Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:08 am

drumsound wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 pm
That picture is FANTASTIC!
I would totally frame that and hang it in our home.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:08 am
drumsound wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 pm
That picture is FANTASTIC!
I would totally frame that and hang it in our home.
Put it up next to this guy.

Last edited by shedshrine on Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Moved some things around..
Decidedly old-school current configuration for adat remixes and getting ready for arrival of a recapped Tascam 238s at some point.
1997 Allen & Heath MixWIzard with button shift to switch the 8 input channels to mixdown access without re-patching. My memory of the Mackie 1604 is a little hazy from my first go round with the adat, but the eq on this A&H is really nice! Those dual swept mids are really useful and sound very good.

I guess powered monitors weren't so ubiquitous in '97, so got a little balanced passive box for monitor mute/volume control. Sound quality to monitors didn't seem to take a hit.

Using the stereo Strymon Blue Sky on a couple busses. I hadn't dug the shimmer setting, at least on guitar (probably operator error), but as a distant backing on vocals where it wasn't so predictable and I was getting a cool gauzy spectral thing going.

The mixer seller said "will be well packed and sent two day air". He was half right. The box was half full of air, a loose wrap of one layer of bubble wrap. (all popped on contact areas natch.) and a couple loose pieces of cardboard thrown on top. Unbelievable. It is a wonder and a credit to A & H that this thing is so rock solid.

Now with better seating...

Last edited by shedshrine on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:01 pm

Yeah, those A&H things are built pretty solid.

The whole build looks great, congrats!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:48 pm

I did a live record with one of those A&H mixers for all but vocals (I think) years ago to RADAR. They are great sounding little pieces, great for remotes.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:26 am

I'm putting this here because it's completely unrelated to the stated topics of this thread, so, you know.....
Last night's sleep was rather fitful (I don't know if you noticed, but we had a tense little election down here in Georgia yesterday, and it's possible I had one too many beers before bedtime), and I kept waking from strange dreams.
So in this one dream, there was this attractive woman with and SM7. We were talking, and getting along really well, and I was getting the sense she was really into me. .....So then there's this pool party, and I'm looking for Ms. SM7, but she's nowhere to be found. But then I see this other woman who's both lovely and has an RE20. And I start chatting her up--you know. But I feel a bit guilty--am I betraying Ms. SM7? After all, we seemed to have a thing happening. And then Ms. RE20 drives off without saying goodbye, taking her microphone with her. And I'm left all alone, with neither woman, nor the SM7, nor the RE20........

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:29 am

definitely the saddest story I've heard all week! :mrgreen:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:54 pm

What, am I a dream interpreter now? Fine..
Here's the standard lineup I show people who've had this dream scenario. See if you can pick her out.

As for the tensity in Georgia. Take 14 more days and call me in the morning. Hoping real hard that should take care of it..

PS Mr. PM_Kommander. Envy your productivity!

As for Ms RE20, last I heard she was hanging with Scarlett Johanson here..

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:51 pm

re SM7: Definitely bottom left. But her mic had the foam pop shield intact.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:22 am

8) on the digs!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:57 am

Dude, Hamptone as a monitor stand is so $$$.
shedshrine wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Moved some things around..
Decidedly old-school current configuration for adat remixes and getting ready for arrival of a recapped Tascam 238s at some point.
1997 Allen & Heath MixWIzard with button shift to switch the 8 input channels to mixdown access without re-patching. My memory of the Mackie 1604 is a little hazy from my first go round with the adat, but the eq on this A&H is really nice! Those dual swept mids are really useful and sound very good.

I guess powered monitors weren't so ubiquitous in '97, so got a little balanced passive box for monitor mute/volume control. Sound quality to monitors didn't seem to take a hit.

Using the stereo Strymon Blue Sky on a couple busses. I hadn't dug the shimmer setting, at least on guitar (probably operator error), but as a distant backing on vocals where it wasn't so predictable and I was getting a cool gauzy spectral thing going.

The mixer seller said "will be well packed and sent two day air". He was half right. The box was half full of air, a loose wrap of one layer of bubble wrap. (all popped on contact areas natch.) and a couple loose pieces of cardboard thrown on top. Unbelievable. It is a wonder and a credit to A & H that this thing is so rock solid.

Now with better seating...

Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:07 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:57 am
Dude, Hamptone as a monitor stand is so $$$.

Thanks!
Got a good shot online of the faceplate, printed it out on a high end laserprinter, wrapped it around a brick.
made the knobs and switches with a 3D scan printer. Then I just went ahead a bought a kit and built one.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:05 pm

Some other guy's story:
I saved this post below while researching repairs, maintenance, mods etc for the Model 6.
This person went all out to remedy perceived flaws with the stock model.
Unfortunately I don't have the direct link, so thanks to whomever posted it!
Charvel Model 6 review  mods done to.JPG
Charvel Model 6 review mods done to.JPG (136.86 KiB) Viewed 3566 times

My experience with a 1986 Charvel Model 6:

Over time, the Ferrari red body had deepened to a darker richer red, and the bright white neck binding had darkened to a vintage-ey cream color. But at this point the fretboard was shot. Finally took it in for some work.

And yesterday finally got it back, the guitar I've probably spent the most time on ( paired with what will from here on after be known as a pre-Gibson Mesa Boogie studio pre.)

Neck is like new now, Plek'td with stainless steel frets (so arguably better than new? :D )
Rosewood + abalone inlays cleaned up real nice as well. Awesome!

Before:

After:

In the earlier part of the 34 years I'd owned it I really hadn't taken as good of care of it as I should have. In addition to allowing multiple dings, scratches and a few chips, I had lost the battery plate after taking it off one too many times as the thing 'goes through batteries like candy' if you leave it plugged in. I got a hold of a new battery cavity cover online and the holes didn't quite match up so I did the old "cram toothpicks in the existing holes and re-drill' trick. The screws provided were high round tops, so I hit the hardware store for some flat top wood screws so they'd flush mount.

While the cover had been missing I had managed to catch some of the wiring on something and yanked off a solder lead somewhere. Tracked that down in the rats nest of active preamp wiring in there and soldered it back today.

The licensed Floyd trem on these is often maligned as it only goes down, and it's made out of pot metal. But once I replaced the pot metal bar (which snapped off at one point) it's always been rock solid with tuning, and I am quite used to the more stable (to me) feel of the bridge only going down. (actually in my experience you can go up a half step pretty reliably but  to a full step tuning does sometimes slip. I have the model 6 tuned down a half step as well) These primordial Floyd's take a little more effort to push down, unlike the new full floating one on the DK24 that moves with incredible ease. Not saying one is better than the other there either, just making an observation.

One thing though, that clamp at the nut on the DK is now directly over the nut, That's fine, but the edges are really sharp! Like when you reach down and yank it up by the neck off a stand. It can dig into your index finger palm knuckle bone big time.

The Model 6 is locked after the nut and while your hand may still rub against it, it has smoothly rounded edges.

Once I got the Model 6 back up to snuff it made for an interesting comparison between the two: the thru-neck rosewood neck and the maple bolt-on. They really compliment each other. The DK24 sounds great, strumming away on the 2020 sounded bright, mid-rangey and snappy acoustically compared to the fuller more hi-fi and even toned Model 6. Gush, fawn, laud...

Tried to buff out the paint a bit. Lookin sharp now and so nice to have it back in action!

_________
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:25 am, edited 15 times in total.