shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:58 am

I thought "Hot Suck Action" was what happened when you accidentally got pine tar on the neck?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by The Scum » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:04 pm

In the business, that's what we call "pitchy."
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:56 pm

meanwhile..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptmymwsbgvusn ... 7.MOV?dl=0
Owie run.png
Owie run.png (188.66 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
{play at half speed for maximum effect.}

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:40 am

shedshrine wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:56 pm
meanwhile..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptmymwsbgvusn ... 7.MOV?dl=0
Owie run.png
{play at half speed for maximum effect.}
Guitar playing is alright* but I totally relate to the vocals. :twisted:

*Years ago I cut my finger while cooking the night before a Double Door show, played the 1/2 hour set using accountant's finger cots - I think it took 3.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:03 am

shedshrine wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:21 pm

cut the ^%$% out of my left mid finger on MLK day. Gardening accident wouldn't you know.
Ouch! A few years back I took a little chunk out of my own left hand middle finger with a table saw... learned to play a few common chords without it for a few months.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:57 am

How's that finger doing?

The goofball Charvel showed up:

Haven't done anything with it yet, but it looks pretty.

I got my little guitar corner organized:

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:41 pm

Finger: skin has healed up almost entirely, been about 2 weeks. Feels like there's a knot in my fingertip, and from the cut on it's numb, but I played a lot yesterday for the first time without a band-aid. Hoping to not lose the callus there, that area wants to peel.

Charvel: Looks sharp! How are you liking it? What does the little switch between the control knobs do?
Edit: wait, now it has a headstock decal/name. It didn't have one in the earlier pic.
Exhibit A:

Don't suppose you could grace us with a couple shots of what's in those two racks?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:03 pm

The previous pic was just one my friend found online somewhere, not his actual guitar. That headstock is just....what committee of dunces approved that? it looks like a cheese slicer. So goofy.

I haven't really played it yet, needs new strings and a setup. Initial thoughts, just holding it: it's relatively heavy and I dunno how into the neck I am. But I do remember it sounding good so we'll see. Worst case it gets given to a friend's daughter, and that's not a bad case at all.

Here's a pic of the racks:

I just got that Mesa mk5:25, the date on it is 11/4/20 so it's just barely pre-Gibson!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:27 pm

That headstock was probably made on the jigs left over from the Fender Katana.

Or by someone who really enjoys brie & crackers.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:15 pm

You have a beautiful playground there Scott. What a spread. Can't quite make out what each of those wonderful racked units might be, but they look the business. And yeah, I suppose if you serve brie and crackers there as well, all the better.
___________________________________________________________________-
Full Disclosure: I had to return the initial gold Charvel DK22 I received.

It was advertised as basically a return, an open box guitar. But there was more going on. It arrived with a weird bulge under the paint in the scooped out pocket in back where you reach for the upper register, and the frets were ground down about half way in height, and the bottom of the frets were beveled further still at such an angle that the high E would constantly slip off. What's more, the 5 way switch would click solidly into position for positions 2, 3 and 4, but it never really locked into positions 1 and 5. What a mess. Re-packed and returned.

It sounded great though, even played with a mangled fretting hand.

I picked out another one online used, and this time made sure I could see pics of the actual guitar, not some "representative sample". It arrived today, in better condition than I expected. Per the sale page, previous owner had swapped out the .009s for .010s and had had a luthier go over it and burnish the fret edges. It was a good price and I was thinking there might be a little ding here or there, or some signs of use. The only thing that clued me in that there might have been any use whatsoever was the ever so slightest glossing of the flat finish at the beveled edge where your forearm would have rested. And that's a cool kind of wear. :) Otherwise, rock solid and perfectly executed. This DK22 will get those HSS strat tones, and without the locking trem like the DK24 and Model 6 I can mess with alt tunings. Alright, set with guitars. moving on..

I love having a dedicated recording space now, but finding I need a still simpler setup to actually get something started. To that end, I'm now working on putting together a little turn-key writing station setup for initial tracks. It's got to be uber dirt simple. I mean I've got a Line6 Pod Go, and even a Strymon Iridium, But I want simpler still for a bonehead just turn it on and create setup. I may sell a few things, then..

The Positive Grid Spark looks promising but not quite there yet. I am looking more at those Yamaha THR30II tabletop guys, that and a Digitech SDRUM pedal, to hook up with my Tascam SD-20 rack unit for basic stereo capture. Maybe pan them hard L and R for future tweaking. and some way to monitor the SDRUM drum tracks with a dedicated little monitor. IT. Never. Ends.

The Yamaha has some great basic effect-on-a-knob capability, and the SDRUM lets you create and chain your own patterns on the fly. Hoping this will be an awesome brainstorm/ practice/ writing setup. Wireless capability as well if I spring for one of those Line6 plugs. (Yamaha bought line6 remember?)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:36 am

Howya like that 5:25? I had a Mark IIb but it was too loud, even with a Power Soak, to get it up to tone. And heavy.

I helped a guitar player a cuppla bands ago get a 25:50 combo. To date I recall that as one of the best, most flexible recording amps I ever played - I shoulda bought it instead of finding it for him (replaced a kinda rare S/S Acoustic he had that actually wasn't bad, but under-powered). I think he payed US$600 at MusicGoRound - I recall abusing him because he didn't try to negotiate. (He later quit the band because I'm "too much a type A", and wouldn't sell it to me, the peasant! :twisted: )

I now have a .50 Caliber and I hafta say that some stuff can sound Boogieish, but Boogies just have their own thing - I love 'em.

You must, also, with three!

I'll add that I think that ISA stuff is totally under-rated, and a Rat can be, should be, a guitarist's best friend - after a Muff.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:47 am

shedshrine wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:15 pm
You have a beautiful playground there Scott.
Thank you! All of that madness is entirely due to that little Bugera power soak. That thing really got me into being a guitar player again, being able to play through amps at conversational volume has just been wonderful. So much fun. Here's a rundown of the racks:

midiverb 2 (sort of works a little bit if it feels like it)
Bellari tube pre
Sansamp bass RBI
Focusrite isa 428
sytek pres
DAV pres

the venerable and storied Mesa Studio Pre
midiverb 2 (works!)
line 6 looper
boss se70
dbx 163x comp
drawmer 1968, 1969, 1961

I'm not really using any of the drawmer stuff, if anyone's interested let me know, i wouldn't mind passing them on to another TOMBer.
Full Disclosure: I had to return the initial gold Charvel DK22 I received.
Ah man what a bummer. My Jackson was open box as well, there's a crack in the finish between the volume and tone knobs, but otherwise it was fine. There's an open box amber dk on Reverb right now for $100 off, but I'm not biting. Supposedly a new batch is due at Sweetwater today. We'll see.

Anyway glad you got a non-fucked up one!
I love having a dedicated recording space now, but finding I need a still simpler setup to actually get something started.
Totally. My ideal was my old 4 track setup: drum machine on track 1, studio pre on track 2, everything on a power strip, flip two switches and start recording. Super fast and simple. I can't quite get that simple with my setup now, but it's close.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:09 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:36 am
Howya like that 5:25?
Only had it a week but I LOVE it. I initially got one of the EVH lunchbox heads, didn't like that AT ALL, just yuck. Brought that back and got the Mesa, which was more than twice as much but oh well. It just sounds so nice for, like, anything I want to do...thrash riffs, jazz chords, shoegaze...it just Sounds Great. And it smells like chocolate, which is a nice bonus.

The only issue is it has a fan, and in pretty much any normal rock and roll situation it'd never be a problem, but in a super quiet mastering room out in the country late at night, it's a little bit of a problem. So I did some sleuthing and got a replacement fan, which should be here Friday, should be simple enough to swap them out.

I wrote Mesa about this and have to say, dude's initial response was 100% not helpful at all. I pushed back and he managed to eek out a reply that met the bare minimum standards of helpfulness. Pretty annoying but whatever.

Anyway my chain right now is just guitar-tube screamer-amp. Not even any echo! Which is pretty unprecedented.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:45 am

Huh. Don't recall a fan on his. Yopu could mebbe just puta inline switch onnit ...

Also BTW, nice bong there, mid-racks. :high:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 am

Sometimes you have to be practical. it's not always possible to get a piece of gear when household necessities are required, like kitchen appliances.
Especially kitchen appliances with dual G&L PAF-ish pickups with a narrower wind so tele tones don't bark so much (it is so written anyway). Makes coffee and toast that much better.

____

G&L ASAT special, P90 replacements??
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.