shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear and enlightenment, man

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:31 pm

I have tapes on one of my fretless, and while they seem comfortable and sound good, I swear my fretting fingers feel like they have friction burns after an hour or so.

I have flats on another (as well as on some fretteds) and I'm loving 'em for comfort, altho' they kinda sound a bit different that 1/2's or full rounds.

I have rounds on an ac/elec bass and so far no issues on the board, but as you might imagine it doesn't get played a real lot.

Finally I have those goofy white "rubber" strings onna bass uke - they get kinda sticky and so I found a touch of baby powder on the fingertips helps.

Then there's my fretless guitar - the only axe I have with a 'poxy board, has regular guitar strings.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:02 pm

vvv wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:31 pm
Then there's my fretless guitar - the only axe I have with a 'poxy board, has regular guitar strings.
Oh man, you've got to give us a link to any of your massive catalog (or a good example of anyone you recco) where you're slinging the fretless guitar. I think those would be a fun challenge and really change up one's style adapting to. Off the top of my head I'm imagining sliding chords and working in crazy string skipping single note slide and tap melodies etc. (with feeling and serving the song of course ha..; )

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:29 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:44 am
they had a used Westone fretless for 2 bills on the wall that I fell in love with.
This made me want to show off my cheap fretless--an old japanese no-name fender copy that a guy put a new ironwood fretboard on. Tapewound strings, which I don't mind.

(Also, I wanted to try out the attachment function that I never knew existed on this board. Hopefully it works. )
small.jpg
fretless
small.jpg (95.86 KiB) Viewed 3329 times

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:12 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:02 pm
vvv wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:31 pm
Oh man, you've got to give us a link to any of your massive catalog (or a good example of anyone you recco) where you're slinging the fretless guitar. I think those would be a fun challenge and really change up one's style adapting to. Off the top of my head I'm imagining sliding chords and working in crazy string skipping single note slide and tap melodies etc. (with feeling and serving the song of course ha..; )
I will - still haven't recorded it as I've been in the acoustic project mode (we are about to drop number XII), with the only detour for the Bass VI project.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:32 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:29 pm
shedshrine wrote:
they had a used Westone fretless for 2 bills on the wall that I fell in love with.
This made me want to show off my cheap fretless--an old japanese no-name fender copy that a guy put a new ironwood fretboard on. Tapewound strings, which I don't mind.

(Also, I wanted to try out the attachment function that I never knew existed on this board. Hopefully it works. )

small.jpg
Your attached! Is that the ironwood flatwounds we hear on your Angry Ghost tune?

Busy man vvv. You could just mic the unplugged fretless guitar and/or stick a pzm on it for your acoustic project. That would count wouldn't it? :)

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:02 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:32 pm

Your attached! Is that the ironwood flatwounds we hear on your Angry Ghost tune?
It's been a while & I didn't actually play that part, but it was almost certainly my buddy's fretless Fender, which he's been playing since sometime in the 80s. I haven't used the ironwood on any of my recorded songs yet, but maybe soon...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:43 am

Look up some of The Aristocrats vids on youtube, Guthrie Govan plays a fretless guitar on some of their tunes.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:14 am

shedshrine wrote:
markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 am

fretless - i had one for a long time, it's a very cool sound but a one trick pony. if you have a ton of money and want the whole arsenal (Fender J, Fender P, Hollowbody, Fretless, Something w/ Humbuckers, Upright) for your studio to cover every tone just in case, it's a great idea. but unless you're doing something original or jazz the fretless really isn't needed IMO.
I was in Tall Toad Music in Petaluma about 10 years ago and they had a used Westone fretless for 2 bills on the wall that I fell in love with. The body was battered but the neck was pristine. Apparently it came originally in a special hard-case with interchangeable fretted and fretless necks.

Anyway, a fretless may be one trick as you say, but that growly tone you get sliding around.. awesome!. Mine’s got round wounds. I was afraid the ridges would scratch the fretboard but it hasn’t been a problem thus far.

I've got one of these Westones with both necks. I've got the fretted neck on it currently. It used to belong to a bandmate from an old band, he used the fretless neck.

Unfortunately the active electronics are no longer working, and it doesn't sound very good to me in passive mode.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:12 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:43 am
Look up some of The Aristocrats vids on youtube, Guthrie Govan plays a fretless guitar on some of their tunes.
Thanks Mo’Space. Just went for a walk and listened.
Govan is an amazing player obviously, and you figure a guy of that ability is going to wring out a lot from an instrument, and he does of course wrangle that fretless into submission. But even witnessing that didn’t make me want to rush out and get a fretless.
What his playing in general does though is make me want to eventually get a new Charvel or Jackson fretted. One of their newer ones with the single coil and coiltaps ( and don't they look cool in a retro-updated way with that Fender headstock now).
My previous plan was to eventually get that old model 6 a re-fret (maybe with steel? ), and they’ll have to replace the binding and I’d still have that 1987 sound, which I still like for some things in the bridge, but there’s so much better stuff for the rest, for my 2020 tastes anyway.

Trodden! How’s your mom? My Westone, the active is still working, and yeah, the passive is really wooly dark.
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:25 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:12 pm
What his playing in general does though is make me want to eventually get a new Charvel
Yeah same here. His sig model Charvel is super sweet. I'd love one, but I'm not nearly good enough at guitar to justify $3300!

RE:The Aristocrats....I generally hate 'musician music' with a fiery passion, but I quite enjoyed their stuff, listened to it for hours when I was working on my website.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:25 pm
shedshrine wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:12 pm
What his playing in general does though is make me want to eventually get a new Charvel
Yeah same here. His sig model Charvel is super sweet. I'd love one, but I'm not nearly good enough at guitar to justify $3300!

RE:The Aristocrats....I generally hate 'musician music' with a fiery passion, but I quite enjoyed their stuff, listened to it for hours when I was working on my website.
Oh, the Govan Sig model is way out of reach and unjustifiable for me too, I'm just talking about their recent DK24s I think their called.

I hear ya on the "musician music". You're talking about stuff starts to sound just like a showcase for technique, it starts to blend into one thing after awhile and it’s hard to connect with. You got to pick and choose yer vibe! I like stuff like some of Holdsworth's to just kind of wash over me, The T Party by T Lavitz has been a recent fave.

Does this sound familiar? What I used to do is get something like an old Frank Gambale, Paul Gilbert, Steve Lukather tape (vhs..dating myself) and just wait for them to do something I resonated with. I’d try and figure out what they were doing, or approximate it. Hell, I didn’t care if I could nail it (and I usually couldn't), I actually just wanted to see how I’d play it, emphasize whatever it was that was interesting about it. And that ideally would become a new part of the vocabulary. Like everybody else, Just looking for a new angle, a new shape, a new way to approach the fretboard so my ear could have new things to play with.
Any new concept like that, hopefully you’d come at it at least a few ways, which ideally turns into a few progressions, which strung ideally turns into a song. I don’t think I’m reinventing the wheel with this revelation. Ha!
And I just really like the necks on these charvel/Jacksons, and the body is very comfortable, especially the dinky. Tend to be seated writing, and the Paul and the Tele can kind of dig into your forearm or chest. Not the end of the world or anything, but if you can have a comfortable versatile instrument to hunch over all the better.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Yeah, if I could only keep one of my guitars it'd probably be the Tele, because as a friend says "it's a perfect machine", but the body does dig into my ribs a lil more than I'd like. The contoured Strat body is more comfy to play sitting down, for sure.

My Jackson is a dinky, not one of the fancy ones, was like $350 used. When I bought it back in 2013:

me: *brings guitar up to counter* I'd like to buy this please.
counter dude: Sweet! Gotta say, I didn't figure you for a Jackson guy.
me: Haha! Good! Thank you!

It's super fun to play. Totally weird going from the super skinny SG neck to the big wide flat neck on the Jackson, but it's funny how quickly you adjust. It's surprisingly useful for non-metal stuff too. A friend of mine in Chicago has an old Charvel he'd probably let me have for peanuts, it's just a matter of getting it here, I should bug him about that. I remember it being really nice, easy to play and it actually sounded good acoustically.

Anyway, as far as musician music, to me it's usually:
1. way too many notes
2. not nearly enough rests (more space dammit)
3. a dearth of catchy songs

I haven't paid attention to guitar players in 30 years, had never heard of Guthrie, but I watched a 'rig rundown' and he was funny and charming so down the wormhole I went. Was a nice change of pace from my usual droney shoegaze fare.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:27 am

Well thanks a lot Scott..all this talk got me searching in earnest. (fyi-Saw a Guthrie used for less than $2500.)

However, for 2 1/2x less I saw that Charvel actually had a mahogany bodied five position HH one with alnico's. Medium output versatility. Watched a couple vids and one reviewer, a Charvel addict, was impressed with this particular models resonance that he could feel when he played it. That got my attention as that was a quality I loved about my Model 6. I am well aware that could have just been the one he received, but basically am taking a chance on what amounts to a long scale Paul I can bond with. A GIbson superstrat with a Fender headstock. Yes please. (One of these might be nice to swap out in the bridge if need be)

In this case that meant accepting gold hardware and a melanin challenged neck, but it's a tool man. ;)
I remember a guy in high school who spray painted everything chrome in his car with some kind of gold clear coat. Hideous.
At least the Charvel's gold is "satin finish" . I would imagine there might be some cringing happening out there.

Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Got Tapewounds on my Squier Jazz,It's nice to see some love for the Westone,Got an old red one from ex bandmate-really nice build quality. Still lusting after one of these old Guild b302's
guild-b-302-xl.jpg
guild-b-302-xl.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
,since I can't afford a decent Rick,and I love Stiff Little Fingers. I found Dave from Soul Asylum a nice faded white one in Baltimore in 94 or 95,and of course he broke it/lost it/let someone steal it from his house.
I am the Walnut

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:08 pm

YouTube obviously knows I've been reading this thread, as several Guthrie Govan have popped up in the last few days.
Village Idiot.