shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:30 am

Nice shed! Both of those look awesome.

You apparently have the only Amber DK24 in existence, you can't find those things anywhere.

i just bought one of these yesterday, should be here Friday. AND my friend in Chicago is sending me his old Charvel as well, has some goofball headstock like this:

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:55 am

Damn! that linked Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 2 24 HH HT CM has an awesome pickup switching config! And an extra switch for two flavors of PAF, really cool!
And you're going for those newfangled Fluance pups. You've got to let us know how you like those. The design looks uber tech, I really want to try those out at some point.

Interesting, your Chicago friend's headstock looks halfway between pointyville and a Fender less the ball. Did he swap out the original? no logo? I think you need to come up with an MSE logo there. Y'know, tasteful iconography, MSE with iridescent satanic symbols over a pair of stylized boobs or something.

Happy for ya!

Re: amber DK24. In your research you may have come across Cameron Cooper's channel. Clean shredder, Huge Charvel fan, has demoed seemingly everything they ever issue, and he gushed particularly efusive over that particular model, calling it his favorite. Don't know if that has anything to do with recent unobtanium.
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:14 am

Thanks boss! I'm a little dubious about the pickups, because....active? But they're certainly super flexible, which is nice, and I watched one vid where the dude played a bunch of jazzy/country stuff, i.e. not tons of distortion, and they sounded good, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

The output jack on the back is design genius, why did it take decades of guitar building for someone to figure that out? Nobody ever sat on the couch with a guitar plugged in before?

No idea about the headstock on the Chicago one, but it does seem like it'd be a replacement, why would there be no logo? Not like Charvel was an upstart company in 1991. Who knows. Anyway that one is gonna live in Eb and I'm gonna attempt to learn the Van Halen catalog. I'll fail but it'll be fun.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:12 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:55 am
Re: amber DK24. In your research you may have come across Cameron Cooper's channel.
Yeah, I was feeling good about my shredding progress until I watched a few of his videos. Kid rips. If you'd have told me in 1991 that 30 years later there'd be teenage shredders who love Charvels...

The top on those amber dk24s is just so damn pretty, and I think it looks really nice with the white pickups.

I wish they made it easier (and by easier I mean possible) to order something custom. I'm sure the reason they don't is simply "money, stupid", but to me it seems like you oughta be able to say gimme this body style in this finish with these pickups and this kind of bridge...without having to spend $3500 on a full on US Custom Shop model.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:12 pm
shedshrine wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:55 am
Re: amber DK24. In your research you may have come across Cameron Cooper's channel.
The top on those amber dk24s is just so damn pretty, and I think it looks really nice with the white pickups.

I wish they made it easier (and by easier I mean possible) to order something custom.. you oughta be able to say gimme this body style in this finish with these pickups and this kind of bridge...without having to spend $3500 on a full on US Custom Shop model.
For keeper guitars, I've got a simple SG-like but carved '88 Les Paul "The Paul" that has an incredible feel, a '77 Tele Deluxe (that I had steel frets put on as well), and this Charvel. They just have that solid feel in your hands and a pleasing full balanced sound unplugged that that make that connection. So glad I held on to it and have now restored it to spec. Falling in love all over again.

I don't mean to give the 2020 DK24 short shrift here. I'm still bonding with it. It is very well made, and a pleasure to play, and as you said, that glossed natural mahogany/gold flamed maple against the white pickups with a fender headstock is a gorgeous look. And the inverted cable socket around back is brilliant. But beyond that, is does feel and sound very good. I think I just tend to dig warmer sounding acoustically played electrics. Freak. Just plug the damn thing in..

The Model 6, my model 6 I suppose I should say, just has a certain gravitas. I say this beyond any sentimentality, seeing all the years of use having smoothed out and glossified the ends of the textured pickups and the undeniable appeal of holding and playing decades old instruments. Also, we are talking maple vs rosewood, that maple bolt on is a snappier affair.
All i know is that it's a great time to be alive and be a guitar player.

I do crave at least one more guitar, something specifically with great single coil tones..obviously maybe a strat, but if I’m honest the three middle positions on the dk24’s 5-way switch get me close enough. Regardless, interested in how you find those fluance pickups. I have seen that Greg Koch vid as well.
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:38 am

shedshrine wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm
All i know is that it's a great time to be alive and be a guitar player.
Everything else....not so much!

I'd expect your red one to have more....something...than the new one, be interesting to see what you think of them in another 10 years, once the dk has matured a bit.

I was going on and on to ms mse about the custom shop the other night. The more I thought about it, the less sense it made to me. Like, say I was crazy and was going to spend $3500 on a custom Charvel. First I have to find the order form, which is buried at the bottom of their FAQ page. On the form, you can only get a san dimas body style, which doesn't make any sense at all. I can't get a dk?

Then they want you to pick out your color from the list. Ok but jeez guys it'd be nice to, I don't know, maybe be able to see what these colors actually look like? How am I supposed to know the difference between "daphne" blue and "lake placid" blue?

But let's say I accept that I can only get the one body style and ok fine, I'll just get it in black, that's a safe bet. They then want me to print out the order form and bring it to my nearest Charvel® Authorized Custom Shop Dealer, which in my case would be GC. Then, presumably, a kid will take my form, look at it funny, ask the manager what to do, then fax it over to Charvel, who will then eventually get in touch with me.

This all seems totally antiquated and stupid. Why can't I just go on the website, pick out what I want, see what it looks like, and order it right from them? You go to fender.com and it's one click to go to the mod shop, where you can do exactly that. Charvel is owned by FMC. What is the problem?

I'm only ranting about this cause I'm curious about your (or anyone's) opinion. Ms mse said "i don't know, why don't you write and ask them?" and then proceeded to beat me at cards, as she usually does.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:54 pm

shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:30 am

i just bought one of these yesterday, should be here Friday.

Well? :D

Here I'd been thinking, oh these super-strats are giving you an extra couple frets because there was just dead space there, and there's room to move the neck pick-up back a bit. So it's a no compromise upgrade to be able to fly up that extra two half tones further right?
But of course there was actually a reason Leo Fender put that single coil neck pickup right there at the 2 octave mark.

Watching this demo of the DK22 made it clear. With that choice I get the Charvel shape and neck, and I get the strattage because it's an HSS with 22 instead of 24. I may end up swapping out the H at the bridge at some point, but the 'flat strat SSL-6' single coils seem like keepers.

..watching Fluance single coil vids before I commit. Man, they're really dynamic. It made me think of when you play unplugged, these seem to really capture all that in the 'vintage mode' setting. Hyper clean. Hmm..

As for the DK22 colors available: I think the gold would grow on me, blue wasn't doing it for me, and just all black was a little too dour.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:57 am

shedshrine wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:54 pm
Well? :D
It's REALLY nice. Super light. All the body contouring makes such a difference, it's so much more comfortable to play than my actual tele. Neck is buttery smooth, just great. It came with 9s, I played it like that for about 2 minutes then put 10s on it and did a basic setup. I've mostly just been sitting on the couch and playing unplugged but I put it through an amp for a bit and the pickups sound great, I couldn't get a bad sound out of 'em. Being able to switch the overall voicing is especially cool.

I love the way the neck looks (those super strats seem like they have the same ones?), the only thing is the silver inlays are a tiny bit hard to see AND the neck is almost the same color as my floor, so if I'm standing up and playing it really blends in. I'll either have to get used to it or just redo the studio entirely and put in a new floor.

Gold is my pick of those 3 as well. You thinking of getting one? Think I'm done with my guitar buying spree for the moment. It is fun though!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:57 am

It's REALLY nice. I couldn't get a bad sound out of 'em. Being able to switch the overall voicing is especially cool.

I love the way the neck looks (those super strats seem like they have the same ones?), the only thing is the silver inlays are a tiny bit hard to see AND the neck is almost the same color as my floor, so if I'm standing up and playing it really blends in. I'll either have to get used to it or just redo the studio entirely and put in a new floor.
Glad you were happy with it all around! I really want to try out those fluances.

I think you should just have your floor done in Jackson Pollack splatter so you can play anything you want unimpeded.

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:57 am

Gold is my pick of those 3 as well. You thinking of getting one? Think I'm done with my guitar buying spree for the moment. It is fun though!
I am. It will be the gold DK22. Which means 2 guitars and a re-fret in six months.
There hadn’t been any guitar buying in over 10 years. Seems I've made up for that lately.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:02 am

shedshrine wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 am
I think you should just have your floor done in Jackson Pollack splatter style so you can play anything unimpeded.
Hahaha, that might not quite be the relaxing minimalist vibe we like for mastering, but I could do it! This is my masterpiece:

http://oldcolonymastering.com/art.html

That first video you linked was tl;dw, what were the salient points re: neck pickup and 22 frets? And/or just point me to the relevant spot in the vid.

As far as 22 fretters go, I like this guy. He would look nice next to my blue Jackson.
I am. It will be the gold DK22. Which means 2 guitars and a re-fret in six months.
There hadn’t been any guitar buying in over 10 years. Seems I've really made up for that lately.
Nice! Yeah same here. Bought my strat in '95, tele in '05, black jackson in 2013 and that was it until last year, when I bought 3, and then this new one. Ms MSE has already started with "no more guitars! you just bought 3!" Haha. RIGHT. She likes playing them too. Enforcement of that policy is gonna be pretty lax.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:15 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:02 am

That first video you linked was tl;dw, what were the salient points re: neck pickup and 22 frets? And/or just point me to the relevant spot in the vid.
tl:dw Took me a minute: I'm guessing that's for "Too long? Didn't watch"

Salient points: well, good player, knows strats, knew how to demonstrate how the dk22 HSS could get some awesome strat sounds. And he did. And had a cool dual overdrive tone going as well.

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:02 am

As far as 22 fretters go, I like this guy. He would look nice next to my blue Jackson.
Yep, that's a beaut! Flamed maple just makes everything freaking gorgeous.

I would probably take that finish over the gold if it was offered maybe, but I have a feeling I'm going to dig the Pharoah's finish just fine once it's in my hands. And i've already got that amber flamed maple guy, so..I'm good.

Maybe when i get my next guitar in ten years outfitted with some uber fluance pups.

Sharing is caring. Glad MRS MSE gets it. :)

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:21 pm

Black 1988 The Paul. Dirty Fingers in back, 59 in front. ,
2014 Studio. Burstbucker pros with push/pull coil taps.

Re: Charvel DK22: Light, well made. Haven't plugged it in because...

cut the ^%$% out of my left mid finger on MLK day. Gardening accident wouldn't you know.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:48 pm

Ah shit! It had to be the left hand didn't it? You could still play power chords...

New gold guy looks nice! They all look nice. I'm still in love with that amber dk, I so do not need one but I really want one.

Looks like the same neck as my new tele, you are gonna love it.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:56 pm

I know very little when it comes to Charvelle talk, but I agree with MSE the Quilt Amber is lovely. My brother has an amazing Les Paul in that finish.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:25 am

That title just sounds so nasty..
Quilt Maple Veneer tutorial.JPG
Quilt Maple Veneer tutorial.JPG (37.87 KiB) Viewed 6023 times