shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:02 pm

So getting back to music spaces, I finally did it. I had gotten around to painting that last bedroom (got a lot of painting done the last couple of years) which had been my office and some music stuff. Otherwise it was all around the house, I even had a little lightweight rack with a bin for cables and the right height to put the laptop on top.

But I decided when repatriating the contents of this room to go as far as reasonably possible and put all the instruments (except the big heavy piano) in here, as well as laying out it better. Acoustic instruments will of course stay in their cases when not being played, but everything else ready to go as much as possible.

Waiting on more books to get it stacked up just right.
Music room 2.JPG
Music room 2.JPG (165.61 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Stand-up desk for when I needed that, now it's where the Wurlie and the synth live.
Music room 1.JPG
Music room 1.JPG (237.12 KiB) Viewed 3447 times

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: shedshrine build 3.0 - furniture, cats, gear, enlightenment, and yer mom, man

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:03 pm

nice wurly and princeton reverb!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:35 pm

Happy gear repatriation day Scott.
Nice light boxes and shelving and chunky wood desk! Did you make any of the furnishings Mr. Rennaissance man? I know you made that Helmke mic.
Must mention that cool "skinny" upright too.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:14 pm

Quite a lot of things made by me, but my current love is that Teisco del Rey hanging next to the P-bass. Got it way back in Junior High, gradual improvements (and sometimes regrettable experiments). Most recently had a proper adjustable bridge installed, and it's better than ever.

The upright is an Azola Bugbass. I will refrain from talking at length about upright bass and chronic shoulder problems, but it's good to have it back out again. Will be spending a few short minutes every day getting in the habit of playing it with better posture.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:39 pm

The relative positions and spacing were carefully established.
Curvy guitars small.JPG
Curvy guitars small.JPG (226.45 KiB) Viewed 3416 times

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:56 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:14 pm
.. my current love is that Teisco del Rey hanging next to the P-bass. Got it way back in Junior High, gradual improvements (and sometimes regrettable experiments). Most recently had a proper adjustable bridge installed, and it's better than ever.
I see, i think, about five 'mystery' holes in the visible section of the Teisco pickguard pictured (cool pinstripes btw). What all was going on there?

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:00 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:56 pm
I see, i think, about five 'mystery' holes in the visible section of the Teisco pickguard pictured (cool pinstripes btw). What all was going on there?
At one point I had separate outputs for bass and treble strings. Somewhere along the way I destroyed the middle pickup. Also for a couple years most of it was covered with gold spray paint. Kind of amazing that the original finish was still under there and came back with cleaning off the gold.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:43 pm

I had a Teisco with that style pickguard back in college--blue finish though. One of those things I regret getting rid of.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:56 am

I've missed this thread, sorry, nothing more to add!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:47 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:39 pm
The relative positions and spacing were carefully established.

Curvy guitars small.JPG
This is top shelf work right here. Really nice.

Love the lights on the wurly/synth stand too.

I had a ton of really bad hand/arm/shoulder/back problems last year, had to stop playing completely for a couple months, and wasn't actually sure I'd even be able to play again. I started seeing a massage therapist, we were talking about how upright bass must be terrible for people's shoulders, that's a tough instrument to play in an ergonomic manner. Anyway, stretch those shoulder muscles! Stretching has saved my life, I could go on and on....

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:40 am

So the question of cable storage comes up, as it always does. I don't need a lot of cables, no room for a drum kit in here. I was thinking about making some wooden bins, but then there's also an issue with acoustic treatment. Not much room for that either, so I'm all about what I'm now calling "unintentional treatment", like how a couch is good for trapping bass.

So pulled out the old Singer and some canvas I had lying around, and stitched up some bags for cables, adapters, etc. They'll help soak up more sound, or so I naively think. I was going to use a Sharpie or something to label them, but then I remembered. This was Mom's sewing machine. From the 1960's. It has all those built-in decorative stitch patterns, and even some interchangeable bits to add more.

Some of them even look like waveforms!
Fancy stitching.JPG
Fancy stitching.JPG (228.68 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:16 am

Awesome. If I see made to order wave-form embroidered cable management sacks on Etsy I know where it all began.
Yeah, I'm still working out the sound management situation as well.

download.jpg
download.jpg (5.35 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
I’ve got a couple double curtain rods arriving this week, one to go in front of each of the two doors to my sound room.

And I’m thinking of running steel wires horizontally down a few inches across the ceiling to fold moving blankets over, or maybe these pictured for hanging grommeted fabric curtain things with depending on the situation.
Hanging assembly.jpg
Hanging assembly.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 3044 times

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:24 am

another option that would still be "portable", but less damaging to your ceiling, would be to get a bunch of PVC pipe and some fittings. use the purple glue to make some fittings permanent, but where you want to be able to disassemble parts, drill a hole and insert a screw, or even a small nut/bolt. Then build a framework for a gobo/baffle, and put some moving blankets or whatever over that. You could use some combination of PVC and mic stands (I did this to hold up a "green screen" when I had too many zoom calls happening last year...), and this is a good use for those cheap mic stands that you don't trust holding up your good mics. And just like TapeOp gear reviews, I am not including a picture so you will have to read the words and use your imagination... :lol:

edit: I also used to have a bunch of PM1000 console parts and the aluminum from those channel strips made a nice 'T-bar" for putting on top of a mic stand (may require enlarging one of the holes) then draping a moving blanket over it (used that many times). Of course I also used those strips for stirring up drywall mud, stakes in the yard...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! Were it a larger space and operation I’d be more likely to look into floor standing gobos, but there’s really not that much room in there. It's mostly going to be just me doing track-at-a-time stuff.
I have the wall mounted cubicle walls up, I should add some wall foam in the corners, then I'd like thick drapes that can be pulled around to make a kind of cocoon-like space when I need that (personal preference) vibe to cut loose in there trying things out singing-wise. And a foam cloud contraption to suspend from the ceiling. We'll see how it goes.
As for any 'ceiling damage' incurred, I’m not afraid of a little spackle and paint should that need arise. This little space was purpose built for my musical meanderings so I’m all for custom tricking it out. :D

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Remember those old pole lamps that had a spring so they pushed against the ceiling? You could do something like that, would be easy to move around as needed.