Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

antbar
ass engineer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:14 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by antbar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:53 am

HI all - I've recently (finally!) moved from Pro Tools 8 to PT2020. As PT2020 uses only AAX plug ins, a few of my older plugs, including Camel Crusher, aren't usable now.

I'm not the most skilled or knowledgable bean in the beanbag, and have a pretty simple preset/set-n-forget approach to certain aspects of recording. For mixes, I've always had Camel Crusher as the only plug in on my Master Track in PT. I use a preset called Subtle Master, which I've tweaked so that the output never goes beyond -3db, which keeps my mastering engineer happy.

I'm trying to find something similar for my new PT2020 setup. My hope is that someone familiar with CC could offer a few hints.

So far, I'm trying out Rough Rider (compressor), Softube Saturator and Ozone Imager. Obviously, adding Imager to the line up already pushes it beyond from what Camel Crusher was doing. It's cool to have so many new choices and of course I'm always wish to improve the sound of my mixes, but I'm looking for "few moving parts" suggestions.

Thanks!
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

User avatar
digitaldrummer
resurrected
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:58 pm

I have no clue about Camel Crusher, but you might check out Massey Plugins L2007. it's really easy to use for kind of what you are describing, and it's priced reasonably.

https://masseyplugins.com/plugins

or you could get Waves L2 when it goes on sale for $29 (which is probably today or tomorrow since it happens quite regularly now). Again easy to use (and over-use).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Magnetic Services
steve albini likes it
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Recreating your old plugin settings in a new plugin will teach you a ton about what it's actually doing and how to get the best performance out of it. I say never trust a plugin to be around forever, and instead learn how to get what you want with any plugin!

User avatar
digitaldrummer
resurrected
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm

or Ozone elements is also only $29. https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozo ... .html#comp
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

antbar
ass engineer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:14 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by antbar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:21 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:58 pm
I have no clue about Camel Crusher, but you might check out Massey Plugins L2007. it's really easy to use for kind of what you are describing, and it's priced reasonably.

https://masseyplugins.com/plugins

or you could get Waves L2 when it goes on sale for $29 (which is probably today or tomorrow since it happens quite regularly now). Again easy to use (and over-use).
I have a handful of Massey plugs and love 'em. I use them daily. The L2007 came bundled as a demo with the rest when I downloaded the other Massey plugs I already purchased. The Camel Crusher has a compressor and distortion, so perhaps the L2007 and Massey Tape Head would do the trick...

And I'm certainly curious about Waves stuff. They've got a couple Abbey Road mastering channels for not so much cash...
Last edited by antbar on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

kslight
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2687
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:23 pm

I’m a fan of Brainworx Masterdesk for this, I wouldn’t pay the “msrp” but Plugin Alliance does sales periodically, I think I paid $20 Or $30 for it.

Waves L2 works too, on 2 mix buss it’s probably best to keep it at conservative - not working hard settings, IMHO.

antbar
ass engineer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:14 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by antbar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:30 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm
or Ozone elements is also only $29. https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozo ... .html#comp
I do have Elements... it's lovely. I use it in Studio One for mastering*, but it's way over my head. I go through the presets, grab something that makes sense to my ear, then run away! It might be too "nice sounding" and too tricksy for me as a mix bus plug. I'll try it out, though!

(* I always want to be care in describing what I do... I've "mastered" a couple of my own download-only releases, and it's worked out fine for the purpose. But as I said above, I'm grabbing presets, and these presets just happen to be fab.)
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

antbar
ass engineer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:14 am
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by antbar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 pm

kslight wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:23 pm
I’m a fan of Brainworx Masterdesk for this, I wouldn’t pay the “msrp” but Plugin Alliance does sales periodically, I think I paid $20 Or $30 for it.

Waves L2 works too, on 2 mix buss it’s probably best to keep it at conservative - not working hard settings, IMHO.
You had my hopes up with Masterdesk - looks perfect. But it's $299 at the moment!! I'll keep an eye out for the next $20 sale, though!

I'll have to look into the Waves stuff - seems promising.
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

User avatar
digitaldrummer
resurrected
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:54 pm

if color is your thing, you might also download the trial for this (and it's pretty cheap) -- https://unitedplugins.com/FireMaster/

I have it. there are some decent presets, but I usually go for the more complicated methods (instead of this) , but I'm sure someday I will find the right application...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

User avatar
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment
Posts: 4979
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead California USA
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

User avatar
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment
Posts: 4979
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead California USA
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:31 pm

I am also a huge fan of Nomad Factory plug ins. I am sure you could recreate that Camel thing with them.

http://go.nomadfactory.com/
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2687
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:30 pm
This might work:

https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
I tried this nonsense a few years ago and it was awful.

kslight
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2687
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:39 pm

antbar wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 pm
kslight wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:23 pm
I’m a fan of Brainworx Masterdesk for this, I wouldn’t pay the “msrp” but Plugin Alliance does sales periodically, I think I paid $20 Or $30 for it.

Waves L2 works too, on 2 mix buss it’s probably best to keep it at conservative - not working hard settings, IMHO.
You had my hopes up with Masterdesk - looks perfect. But it's $299 at the moment!! I'll keep an eye out for the next $20 sale, though!

I'll have to look into the Waves stuff - seems promising.
I bet sometime between now and Labor Day they’ll have another sale or two... $299 is silly, That’s their marketing gimmick... Waves gimmick on the other hand is that they are always always on sale.

User avatar
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment
Posts: 4979
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead California USA
Contact:

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:50 pm

kslight wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:37 pm
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:30 pm
This might work:

https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
I tried this nonsense a few years ago and it was awful.
"A few years ago"

I tried it a few months ago, did the job ok. Just needed to print an effect from some old 32 bit plug in.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2687
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:50 pm
kslight wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:37 pm
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:30 pm
This might work:

https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
I tried this nonsense a few years ago and it was awful.
"A few years ago"

I tried it a few months ago, did the job ok. Just needed to print an effect from some old 32 bit plug in.
I remember trying this and another one (jbridge?) and it was not stable. I think it was a 32 bit VI, not an effect, which I wanted to have use of. I ended up having to go boot into an old Mac OS and use an old PT to render out the bits from the song. I haven’t tried it again because it worked so poorly at the time and now I have a 64 bit version of the VI. Or maybe I ended up having to uninstall the wrapper because it jacked up things so bad, I don’t remember. YMMV

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests