Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

darjama
tinnitus

Re: Trying to recreate Camel Crusher

Post by darjama » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:36 pm

The free effects at http://klanghelm.com might do what you want. IVGI offers a lot of saturation color and MJUCjr and DC1A primarily compress but also saturate a bit. Their paid effects are affordable and even better (more options at least).

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:34 pm

darjama wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:36 pm
The free effects at http://klanghelm.com might do what you want. IVGI offers a lot of saturation color and MJUCjr and DC1A primarily compress but also saturate a bit. Their paid effects are affordable and even better (more options at least).

This stuff looks promising, thanks! Free? I can handle that - will download now...
Funny thing is that, as with Camel Crusher, I'm looking for few options. "Press button, make machine work" kinda situation suits me!
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 am

The Klanghelm stuff is really good. The DDMF Magic Death Eye is cool too, and very simple. Tone Projects Unisum is the compressor to beat these days, but it's got a billion knobs/options.

I would strongly recommend staying away from that Ozone Imager. I've heard more than a few self-mastered things people have done that all seem to have this crazy out of phase low mid/bass thing happening. I notice it right away and it makes me feel like my ears are inside out. I don't know for sure what's to blame but I'm guessing it's some Ozone preset, and regardless, you almost certainly don't need an imager on your mix in any case.

Avoid the L2 too as well, unless you hate snare drums. There are far better limiters out there.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:17 pm

I'm on CEP 2.1 on Win XP Pro 32 - Camel Crusher is still a go-to for things like tambo and cowbell for me.

Like the old PSP Vintage Warmer compressor, they sound great and somehow unique ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am

My long, rambling reply got eaten - for the best, I don't doubt! - so short version is I've been grooving with the Klanghelm plugs... the DC1A3 and the IVG12. Camel Crusher was a pal for years, but moving on means letting go. Heavy sigh. Uh...
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"