Mic Parts S-12 and T-12 Mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Mic Parts S-12 and T-12 Mics

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:59 pm

Anyone have any experience with those two?

I read a comparison between the 12 and 47 capsules that said you can make the 12 sound like the 47 (in the same Mic Parts model Mic) with a simple Eq while mixing.

I was curious if the same can be said about the transformer in the T series...maybe not just with Eq, but any plugin(s).

Thanks.

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Mic Parts S-12 and T-12 Mics

Post by KuruPrionz » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:03 pm

I've built 3 kits from Microphone Parts, one of them has the RK-12 capsule like the T-12.
It has a different circuit, I chose this circuit: https://microphone-parts.com/collection ... ircuit-kit
with the T 6.5 XF transformer - intentionally wanting a high level of second order harmonics.

It is a gorgeous sounding capsule, you'll love it either way. I'd like to have an S-12 too. After some time checking out their site and chatting with Matt McGlynn via email over 3 builds, he very intentionally makes his microphones sound distinctly different from each other. He is very aware of the small home studio phenomenon and wants to offer a selection of mics so we can have different flavors at a reasonable price by doing some of the work ourselves.

FWIW, I won a Microphone Parts kit to mod an MXL-990. I didn't have the mic but I got one so I could build it. That one had the RK-47 S (cardioid only) capsule and a circuit board with lower harmonic distortion but still the T6.5 XF transformer ( I think those are currently easier to keep in stock than the other two transformers they offer). That is also a beautiful sounding mic, quite a bit darker than the one I describe above and cleaner sounding.

I've also got the new T-67 kit, which may be out of stock right now. That is an RK67 capsule and a cleaner circuit board with the new Platinum transformer. Gorgeous tone again and different than either of the others.

I don't think you can go wrong. I will warn you that it can be addicting. The instruction manuals are top notch, take your time and follow the instructions and your mic will work great first time out. That happened for me 3 times now.

I think I want an S-87 and then I'm probably good considering the size and traffic in my little hidey hole. No affiliation by the way, just a fan of the company and product.

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:12 pm

KuruPrionz wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:03 pm
I've built 3 kits from Microphone Parts, one of them has the RK-12 capsule like the T-12.
It has a different circuit, I chose this circuit: https://microphone-parts.com/collection ... ircuit-kit
with the T 6.5 XF transformer - intentionally wanting a high level of second order harmonics.

It is a gorgeous sounding capsule, you'll love it either way. I'd like to have an S-12 too. After some time checking out their site and chatting with Matt McGlynn via email over 3 builds, he very intentionally makes his microphones sound distinctly different from each other. He is very aware of the small home studio phenomenon and wants to offer a selection of mics so we can have different flavors at a reasonable price by doing some of the work ourselves.

FWIW, I won a Microphone Parts kit to mod an MXL-990. I didn't have the mic but I got one so I could build it. That one had the RK-47 S (cardioid only) capsule and a circuit board with lower harmonic distortion but still the T6.5 XF transformer ( I think those are currently easier to keep in stock than the other two transformers they offer). That is also a beautiful sounding mic, quite a bit darker than the one I describe above and cleaner sounding.

I've also got the new T-67 kit, which may be out of stock right now. That is an RK67 capsule and a cleaner circuit board with the new Platinum transformer. Gorgeous tone again and different than either of the others.

I don't think you can go wrong. I will warn you that it can be addicting. The instruction manuals are top notch, take your time and follow the instructions and your mic will work great first time out. That happened for me 3 times now.

I think I want an S-87 and then I'm probably good considering the size and traffic in my little hidey hole. No affiliation by the way, just a fan of the company and product.
When you buy mics with transformers, are they expecting a tranny in the mic pre to work the way they're intended?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:53 am

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:12 pm
When you buy mics with transformers, are they expecting a tranny in the mic pre to work the way they're intended?
A transformer is not required - it's really more about the preamp seeing the expected impedance from the mic. As long as they are designed properly, you can plugin a transformer-less mic into a preamp with an input transformer, or you can connect a mic with an output transformer to a preamp with a solid-state input (or any of the other 2 combinations...).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:51 am

Replying to Mustang...

All three of the Mic Parts mics I've built seem to work fine with anything I plug them into.
They don't require another transformer in the mic pre.
Very nice mics and fun to build. I have no affiliation but I am a fan. Bang for the buck.
The T-67 kit was not cheap, almost $500. More than worth it, a stellar sounding microphone by any measure.