Cymbals Eat Snare

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Cymbals Eat Snare

Post by kslight » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:35 pm

I like to put up a spaced pair of SDC overheads "by the drummer" and pointed at the shells not the cymbals, instead of outside of the kit pointed at the cymbals the way some folks do it...if that makes sense.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Yep, drummer technique. And really good drummers usually have good sounding kits.

Another way is to leave cymbals out. Beatles sometimes overdubbed cymbals, and ABBA never had a crash. Or possibly ever a ride either, lol.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:44 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:02 pm
Listen to the difference between nylon tips and wood sticks sometime. That's drastic.
Tip shape can make a big difference too - round vs oval vs acorn etc. And a stick with a longer shoulder/taper will have a different sound and feel. For the last few years I've been sanding the shoulder down on 5a to get the rebound I like.
Village Idiot.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 am

Colorblind wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:30 pm
My room is about 27'L x 16W with 8.5' ceilings. Treated with broadband absorption but not completely dead sounding.
8.5" ceiling is not bad, but extremely tall either - do you have treatment above and around the drums? might be more forgiving if there was?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:47 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:02 pm
Before they listened he'd ask the guy how many times the drummer hit a crash.
Honky Tonk Women would be good song for that test. IIRC there's just the one at the end.

The song I'm working on right now is 18 minutes long, last night I counted the crashes. 18! One per minute seems like the right amount.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:47 am
One per minute seems like the right amount.
Totally depends on the type of song/type of music though. Listen to "Tomorrow Never Knows". One continuous crash! Many earlier Van Halen songs, same thing. But appropriate for the songs...
Mike

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:00 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 am
Colorblind wrote:
My room is about 27'L x 16W with 8.5' ceilings. Treated with broadband absorption but not completely dead sounding.
8.5" ceiling is not bad, but extremely tall either - do you have treatment above and around the drums? might be more forgiving if there was?
Agreed, wish I had more height. There’s a small 2’ x 4’ cloud overhead, and the kit sits on a large rug. 4” of rigid mineral wool for absorption on the walls at the sides of the kit as well. I’ve got a larger 5x5 ceiling cloud in the middle of the room, but I’ve found that drums typically sound more full at the end of the room in question, generally speaking.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Colorblind wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:00 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 am
Colorblind wrote:
Agreed, wish I had more height. There’s a small 2’ x 4’ cloud overhead, and the kit sits on a large rug. 4” of rigid mineral wool for absorption on the walls at the sides of the kit as well. I’ve got a larger 5x5 ceiling cloud in the middle of the room, but I’ve found that drums typically sound more full at the end of the room in question, generally speaking.
cool, sounds like you have it covered then!
Mike

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 am
Totally depends on the type of song/type of music though.
'Twas a joke. :D

Awhile back I did a cover of Metallica's cover of Blitzkrieg's "Blitzkrieg" (I never tire of writing that), I pretty much copped Lars' part (except, you know, in time) and I'm pretty sure there's more crashes on that one song than on all of my 3 solo records combined. Seriously.

AVH is a good example for this thread, no trouble hearing his snare even when he's washing away on a crash for the whole song.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:19 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 am
Totally depends on the type of song/type of music though.
'Twas a joke. :D

Awhile back I did a cover of Metallica's cover of Blitzkrieg's "Blitzkrieg" (I never tire of writing that), I pretty much copped Lars' part (except, you know, in time) and I'm pretty sure there's more crashes on that one song than on all of my 3 solo records combined. Seriously.

AVH is a good example for this thread, no trouble hearing his snare even when he's washing away on a crash for the whole song.
Let's say his left hand isn't shy! The giant sticks don't hurt either. The thing about AVH is that he is quite musical. I believe he even studied arranging. You can always hear his snare, because he wants it that way and plays it that way.

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:04 pm

Nice to see AVH getting some love. His fills are so fluid. He’s always in there serving the song.

I’ll 2nd overdubbing cymbals. Not every drummer can do it but it allows you to flex in some unique ways. If I’m the drummer that’s the way I’ll do it every time.
dehumidified

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:08 pm

this is a long video but RCM has some good insight on reverbs eating up certain sounds too (and just some good general mix tips too) and how to avoid that..

https://ronanchrismurphy.com/2020/08/24 ... is-murphy/
Mike

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:09 am

I've had some good results with overdubbing cymbals. It's nice to be able to pull the close mics back a bit without worrying about the extra cymbal bleed. The biggest challenge has been getting the drums and overdubbed cymbals to sound like one performance/take (if that's the goal).

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:48 am

It's tough to do even for experienced drummers.

Bringing it back to AVH, they overdubbed cymbals on 1984. The only real drum on there is the snare, kick and toms are Simmons pads. Pretty sure he played the hihats live with the drums, all that stuff is mono, the cymbals are big and wide.

We should have a corollary thread to this one: big guitars eat kicks.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 am

FWIW, it's said Grohl does it some. That QOTSA album, some Foos stuff ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.