Cymbals Eat Snare

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Cymbals Eat Snare

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:59 pm

also something just came to mind different timbre drums. what i mean to say is, most people buy the "ludwig classic kit" or "gretsch catalina kit" where the shells are the same. they get a different snare usually. i had a drummer who had a mismatched everything, nothing was the same. i thought it was because he was broke. nope, that kit sounded so F'ing good because each one had the exact tone/sound he wanted and it all worked perfectly. you could hear each drum and cymbal (those were all different too, no Zildjian Cymbal Pak here) on their own and they meshed well together too. Was like a vintage rogers kick, ludwig brass snare, yamaha tom, with zildjian vintage hats, some no name ride he put rivets in (we played jazz). also he was from detroit, i have this thing about drummer's where i can tell if you're from detroit because i swear the water is funky there or something because i've met some cats and been like dude your pocket is so deep and everytime i find out they are from detroit. 2 of them were white and we were doing a ton of james brown and they were FONKY (to quote dr. john "i said a how can i be so white, and so FONKY"). detroit. i change my mind, you need to find a drummer from detroit.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:33 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:03 pm
It's funny, right before this thread popped up I was thinking about this from the completely other side of this question.

As a drummer who almost exclusively records himself and has listened to thousands of hours of his own drumming as mediated by microphones in the headphones I came up with the following observation: Cymbals Modulate Drums.

I think some drummers are going for an aesthetic where you can hear each individual drum and cymbal in the kit and some are going for more of a gestalt where it's the overall effect that they are after.

In the case of the OP I find myself wondering if the snare gets lost in the room, or only in the mics. If, acoustically, the snare gets lost in other sounds when the drummer does certain things, I wouldn't fix it. But if you can hear the snare at all times in the room, but not in the mics, then you need to fix it. IMO. What's annoying is when the drummer (or musician) favors one sound aesthetically, but plays the other way out of habit or lack of skill or lack of awareness. Then you're kinda screwed as an engineer/producer.

BTW- I realized this after putting my MoogerFooger Ring Modulator on an aux send of my mixer and drumming through it. When I turned it off and played, I realized I could get a similar effect by letting the wash of my ride cymbal ring while playing the drums. I never really had much use before for the sustainy parts of my drum sound, but now I do. Everything's modulating everything else in that damn mixing board. The trick is finding the euphonic combinations.
I just want to say that there are several things I like about this post, the most of which was the use of gestalt. You are a credit to our craft, sir.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:55 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:55 am
Wait.... goggles?
Haha. Sorry. Ear goggles. What else can you call them? Ear muffs are things for winter that provide warmth. Construction Worker Hearing Protectors is too much to type.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:06 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:55 am
losthighway wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:55 am
Wait.... goggles?
Haha. Sorry. Ear goggles. What else can you call them? Ear muffs are things for winter that provide warmth. Construction Worker Hearing Protectors is too much to type.
My gullibility and my respect for Mr. Craggs dovetailed into a scenario where I actually thought, "So, uh, drums can damage your hearing through your EYES?! I didn't even know that!".

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Hahahahaha, I'm might've ever gotten a shard o' stick in the eye, but yeah....if you're playing so loud your eyes hurt you are really hitting too hard.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:24 am

I don't know if that wasn't already mentioned: underheads. If i notice the drummer is trashing too hard on the cymbals or hihat i arm a few tracks more and put ribbons underneath the cymbals... if it gets ugly i can pull down the overhead mics and play with the underhead tracks. I don't say that it will sound "real" or whatever, i just have a plan B ready then.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:22 am

Also you can throw a 57 on the snare and crank it up in the mix. And stick several pieces of tape on the cymbals.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:33 am

vernier wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:22 am
Also you can throw a 57 on the snare and crank it up in the mix. And stick several pieces of tape on the cymbals.
Thus making both parts of the drumset sound bad... :roll: