500-series faceplate alignment?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

premiumdan
steve albini likes it

500-series faceplate alignment?

Post by premiumdan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:49 am

500'Op:
Hey, All. I'm getting into the 500 module scene.
Does anybody have any faceplate alignment fuss (cross-threading, thread stripping, etc) with power racks?
Most chassis have fixed mounting holes, but one brand has "variable" nuts for non-spec faceplates.
Can module tolerances be that far off, or is that a "just in case" feature?
Thanks!
-Dan
U.S. off-shore drilling project: 1.5kHz @ +25db.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: 500-series faceplate alignment?

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:54 am

I'll start off saying that I have an API 500vpr 10 -slot and a 500-8B (8-slot) so I DO expect that API will get the holes right...

I do notice that there can be some contention between modules. some have full cases, some don't and some have some "flex" in that their faceplates might not even sit completely flat/level. this is mostly with older or cheaper modules. but at most I might have to loosen the screws on all of the modules to allow pulling one out, or inserting one between a couple. it's never really been a problem and I have not encountered any that the holes did not line up properly. if I did I think I'd complain or send it back to the manufacturer.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: 500-series faceplate alignment?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:03 am

I have a Sweet 10. Everything fits perfectly. I also have the RND 6-space with the nuts that move around. I don't think it matters. I find the RND to be a little more of a pain to swap things in and out of, but I'm talking like the most minimal amount of "pain" you could imagine. I would look to other features as determining factors if I were you.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com