rates for editing podcast audio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

rates for editing podcast audio

Post by joninc » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:22 pm

I've been asked for a quote for editing a podcast and so I'm trying to do some research on what are typical rates for this....

I'd love to hear from any of you that do this currently.

Is there a ballpark ratio of "# of minutes of audio = $ price" that any of you use?

Or is hourly more common and what is the price range = median $50/hr?

This is for a company that generates good revenue - not a hobbyist or not for profit etc... so the price doesn't have to be rock bottom. They will record it themselves (with basic dynamic mics and scarlett interface) and then need it edited. I don't expect it to be very hifi as they've never done this before so I'll be advising a little on the set up and room etc.

(Possibly creating some unique music as well but that's a separate issue so let's not muddy the waters with that yet...)
the new rules : there are no rules

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: rates for editing podcast audio

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:40 am

It's a total crap shoot and guessing game until you know how much work an episode is going to be. I would charge hourly until you know what the work load looks like. If these are people i could have a reasonable conversation with I would explain the issue and then propose that one or two episodes be done at an hourly rate before you quote a price. Or failing that, ask to see the session file for an episode so you know what your in for.

I was doing a bunch of stand up comedy records in the before times and when I would quote a job I would give an hard figure for everything except editing. If I know how long the show is I know how much time I'll need for set-up, tracking and teardown. I have a fairly good grasp on how long a 45 min show will take to mix. Unfortunately the edit could be anything from no edits to someone going to crazy. I've had both.
The hard/fixed estimate is just my hourly rate times the amount of time I'll need (with a little padding). I explain to the client that edit will work on the same principle but that I can't predict the time.
If youyr open and honest about how the fee is calculated and the issues present in coming up with an accurate quote people are generally pretty understanding.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:31 pm

I do a monthly 1 hour radio show, music plus dialogue.

No recording, just editing and mixing, and then slicing up the show as per Sirius/XM rules. Further, downloading the materials,
and then uploading to my own server space. And backup.

3 hours.

So, I charge for 3 hours of work.

Since we have been doing this show for a good 15 years, everyone involved is good
at what they do, namely the artist knows how to record themselves, and has few pickups.

The most time consuming part is the dialogue editing, always.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:39 pm

I agree with Dave. I'd charge hourly, explaining that the question of "how long does it take to ____?" is akin to asking "how long is a piece of string."

detroitdiesel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by detroitdiesel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 pm

Come in at a palatable 50/hr.

Do a small amount of work 6-8 hours.

If you do clean edits and offer a robust sound without glips and glaps then you will become irreplaceable. Them set you career price.

DD