Overdrive pedals educate me

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:04 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by standup » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:24 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:49 am
standup wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:06 am
A Catalinbred Antichthon, which is insane weird and difficult.
I got an amazing sound out of this when I demo'd it, so I bought it immediately. Since then I've not been able to get anything useful out of it. Help me?
I don’t think I could use it live, takes too much tweaking.

I know antichthon wants to be the first pedal, cable out of guitar into pedal. I think it’s supposed to work best with single-coil pickups. You then roll the volume on the guitar back and it warps between fuzz and tremolo. Really fun, but unpredictable.

To me it seems to do two completely different things: tremolo fuzz is one, the other is abstract pterodactyl calls, which might be fun occasionally but not the main thing I want.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist
Posts: 6495
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:15 am

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks! I'll give it a try first in line.

numberthirty
pushin' record
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:39 am

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by numberthirty » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:05 pm

Really getting a bit choked up over the "Oddball Pedal..." sidebar.

Always good to see that sort of thing happening.

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 pm
Location: Southeast Iowa
Contact:

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by dennisjames » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:31 pm

Everyone’s needs and tastes are so varied but I just picked up a Catalinbread Formula 55 that is exactly what I needed. If your mix has the sonic real estate to spare (big loose bottom on this thing), it resides in a magical place between overdrive and fuzz depending on how you use it. It’s designed to sound like a Tweed Deluxe which is the sound I wanted. It’s absolutely NOT transparent. It’s very much a character pedal but it does the character in a really nice manner. And I was just wondering this morning how it would sound through a Vox amp.

I’ve also got an OCD that I prefer with very light gain and a Klon Klone from ARC effects that I’ve never really settled on a standard use for. Right now I’m treating it as a dirty boost. It can get pretty compressed sounding but sometimes that might work. The Nobels is supposed to be the bees knees.

User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
audio school
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:20 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:20 am

numberthirty wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:02 pm
On the "Treble Booster..." front, The Balls Effects "Balls Deluxe" is one of the finest feedback generator pedals that I have owned. Will also get you a lot of "Classic Coke" treble booster sounds.

Cannot say enough good things about that pedal.

https://ballseffects.com/distortion/balls-deluxe/
Sometimes you check your web traffic stats and realize you've been linked in from a foreign message board populated by a few exiled PRFers. HOWDY FOLKS. Thanks for the love. I'll post up here and chime in when i've got stuff to share.

:^:

User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
audio school
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:20 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am

My two cents would be that if I were playing an AC15 and wanted a more high gain sound i'd boost the front end with a rangemaster, because that's just my favorite sound in general and with an AC15 i'd likely be able to run it pretty full bore in a band setting and thus get that cranked amp thing going. If you're thinking you want dirt from a pedal, thats cool too, but I might want to get a combo of volume boost and pedal drive so you can get a little of both. People love the Klon circuit because its got a ton of boost in addition to internal drive sounds, so you can get some amp distortion and pedal distortion. My Black Balls circuit is a similar bag where its got a lot of boost built in that helps one get amp and pedal results simultaneously.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 7042
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am
My two cents would be that if I were playing an AC15 and wanted a more high gain sound i'd boost the front end with a rangemaster, because that's just my favorite sound in general and with an AC15 i'd likely be able to run it pretty full bore in a band setting and thus get that cranked amp thing going. If you're thinking you want dirt from a pedal, thats cool too, but I might want to get a combo of volume boost and pedal drive so you can get a little of both. People love the Klon circuit because its got a ton of boost in addition to internal drive sounds, so you can get some amp distortion and pedal distortion. My Black Balls circuit is a similar bag where its got a lot of boost built in that helps one get amp and pedal results simultaneously.
Cool, man. Welcome to the TOMB!

User avatar
losthighway
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by losthighway » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am
My two cents would be that if I were playing an AC15 and wanted a more high gain sound i'd boost the front end with a rangemaster, because that's just my favorite sound in general and with an AC15 i'd likely be able to run it pretty full bore in a band setting and thus get that cranked amp thing going. If you're thinking you want dirt from a pedal, thats cool too, but I might want to get a combo of volume boost and pedal drive so you can get a little of both. People love the Klon circuit because its got a ton of boost in addition to internal drive sounds, so you can get some amp distortion and pedal distortion. My Black Balls circuit is a similar bag where its got a lot of boost built in that helps one get amp and pedal results simultaneously.
Yeah, good to see you over here, Tony. I've missed seeing your awesome builds over at the PRF.

numberthirty
pushin' record
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:39 am

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by numberthirty » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:20 am
numberthirty wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:02 pm
On the "Treble Booster..." front, The Balls Effects "Balls Deluxe" is one of the finest feedback generator pedals that I have owned. Will also get you a lot of "Classic Coke" treble booster sounds.

Cannot say enough good things about that pedal.

https://ballseffects.com/distortion/balls-deluxe/
Sometimes you check your web traffic stats and realize you've been linked in from a foreign message board populated by a few exiled PRFers. HOWDY FOLKS. Thanks for the love. I'll post up here and chime in when i've got stuff to share.

:^:
Well, I did join up at the PRF because I noticed that Japmn and a few other folks from here posted there as well.

Always kinda felt something like an extended family.

User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
audio school
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:20 am
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:58 am

losthighway wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:59 pm
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am
My two cents would be that if I were playing an AC15 and wanted a more high gain sound i'd boost the front end with a rangemaster, because that's just my favorite sound in general and with an AC15 i'd likely be able to run it pretty full bore in a band setting and thus get that cranked amp thing going. If you're thinking you want dirt from a pedal, thats cool too, but I might want to get a combo of volume boost and pedal drive so you can get a little of both. People love the Klon circuit because its got a ton of boost in addition to internal drive sounds, so you can get some amp distortion and pedal distortion. My Black Balls circuit is a similar bag where its got a lot of boost built in that helps one get amp and pedal results simultaneously.
Yeah, good to see you over here, Tony. I've missed seeing your awesome builds over at the PRF.
HA. tbh, I dont remember when the PRF went down and what the last builds posted were.

standup
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:04 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by standup » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:57 am

dennisjames wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:31 pm
Everyone’s needs and tastes are so varied but I just picked up a Catalinbread Formula 55 that is exactly what I needed.
I just bought a Swart amp and sold a tweed princeton clone which had lovely tone. The Swart was not QUITE tweed enough for me, though it's in the same neighborhood. So now there's a Formula 55 set for edge overdrive ahead of the Swart. Formula 55 also does Neil Young exploding amp tones, which are fun, but I mostly wanted to make the Swart (Antares) a little more tweedy.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3489
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:11 pm
Location: Saint Paul, MN

Re: Overdrive pedals educate me

Post by kayagum » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:38 am

I'm always looking for pedals that can do the just breaking up overdrive and not chop the bass. Just got the MXR Timmy and it's doing the job, also have the Menatone Red Snapper.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests