does anyone make a small mixer where the master gain is not tied to everything?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

does anyone make a small mixer where the master gain is not tied to everything?

Post by C_R_J » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:51 pm

i am trying to find a mixer on the smaller side. something for a bunch of synths. anyways. almost all small mixers i have run across have like literally everything tied to the master fader. so for instance on most pro or high end audio consoles for live and what not, if you bring the master fader down, all of the aux sends etc stay up. i have not for the life of me been able to find a mixer with less than like 24 inputs that actually has some sort of pre or post option on the master fader. does anyone out there make anything smaller that does this?

a super small mixer with every conceivable option like this would go over well i think with musicians.

mainly i want to be able to run my in ear pack in the middle of the night and jam out on my synths, and i am annoyed that i cannot just turn the master fader down on my mixer to do this. i have to shut the speakers off because the master fader kills all booth sends and what not. annoying.

thank you for your time
time is money and im wasting both...

The Scum
resurrected

Re: does anyone make a small mixer where the master gain is not tied to everything?

Post by The Scum » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:12 pm

What mixer do you have that cuts the sends when the master is lowered? That's not a common thing, at least in analog mixers.

(of course, i built my own 4 channel mixer to run in-ears when i couldn't find a small mixer with two prefade sends.)
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' gear

Re: does anyone make a small mixer where the master gain is not tied to everything?

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:44 am

A Speck SSM is about the size of a mACKIE 1604 and is very flexible. But that might be bigger than you'd want.

A.David.MacKinnon
ghost haunting audio students

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:57 am

I've never come across a mixer where the master fader affects the aux sends. What are you currently using?

digitaldrummer
resurrected

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:07 am

I've used the Mackie ProFX series mixers a lot for small gigs. I always pulled the master fader all the way down to set the monitor sends. it did not shut them off or any of the aux/reverb sends. Then I would bring the monitor fader all the way down and set the main volumes/EQ. These mixers also have a "break" switch (button) that would temporarily mute all of the input channels, but the monitors were still active and the tape input was also active through the mains - so you could play break music from a tape/cd/phone.

I also cannot recall seeing a mixer where the maser fader controlled anything but the main outs/sends.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

Post by C_R_J » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:26 am

The Scum wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:12 pm
What mixer do you have that cuts the sends when the master is lowered? That's not a common thing, at least in analog mixers.

(of course, i built my own 4 channel mixer to run in-ears when i couldn't find a small mixer with two prefade sends.)
i am using a small yamaha mg10. i also have some small mackie x5s. i have a lot of diff cases with diff sets of synth stuff in them, and i put a small mixer in each.

i should clarify a bit. i really dont always use the auxes, but all of these kill like the control room outs and recording outs levels and all that when i kill the main knob. not positive it always does it on the aux sends.

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

Post by C_R_J » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:28 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:44 am
A Speck SSM is about the size of a mACKIE 1604 and is very flexible. But that might be bigger than you'd want.
i like it. looks similar to a apb monitor mixer i had at one time. just a bit big i think. gonna hunt around.

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

Post by C_R_J » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:30 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:57 am
I've never come across a mixer where the master fader affects the aux sends. What are you currently using?
i do not use the aux sends always, so i may be wrong here a bit. but i am positive for instance that on my smaller yamaha it kills the control room sends and what not. i guess i am just used to larger format analog, where i know that the master fader literally only affects the main outs almost always. it seems that in small format mixers they skimp. having something smaller but having all the pre post options everywhere that larger consoles have would be rad i think.

Scodiddly
cryogenically thawing

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:48 pm

When you say "master fader", are you referring to the fader (or knob) at the bottom of each channel, or the single fader (or knob) all the way over on the right side of the mixer?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:21 pm

The Master, by design, only affects the Master Buss.

The "Cue Mix" or "monitor mix" are clones of the Master Buss signal, and as such, do get affected by the Master Fader.

Auxes normally follow each channel's fader, but never the Master Fader.

Because the Auxiliary Buss, is a different signal path. By design.

You "could" modify a console of any size to make the Master Fader affect Auxes as well, for your own particular needs.

Can you solder?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.