help me help a friend

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

help me help a friend

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:01 am

So an old friend of mine got in touch and wants to get a little recording setup going, he's asking me for recs on a DAW, interface and drum s/w.

I recommended REAPER because it's the best, so we're good there. For the interface though, I have no idea, as I've had my fancy mastering converters forever, I don't know what's out there. He said he wants "preferably one with good built in amps / tones." So a UA something or other? I don't think the amps thing is essential for the interface, I can recommend some amp sims, so basically I'm asking what interfaces do you use/recommend?

He also said "I want to be able to set up reasonable drum beats w/o needing to be a drummer or spend a million bucks". I use the Reason Rack plugin in REAPER to make beats, but I dunno if that's really the thing for him, so again I'm just wondering what y'all use/recommend.

Thanks!

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: help me help a friend

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 am

Personally, I love MOTU's stuff, but I'm not sure if they come with amp sims.

However, I'm pretty sure Native Instruments' Komplete interfaces come with some form of Guitar Rig (plus a bunch of other stuff): https://www.native-instruments.com/en/c ... nterfaces/

They also just released Guitar rig 6, so it might be a good time for your friend to get on board!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am

Depending on his / her budget:

I use Focusrite RedNet interfaces, they do have some with mic preamps. They also have other flavors of connection, same mic preamps. Clarett.

I use for drums, tons of different samplers, from Steven Slate, Reason Lite (and an old 2.5 version on another laptop),
to 808 samples gathered through the years, and older real drumkits I have recorded (but are not for resale).

The software synths I love the most are Arturia's, they kick ass.

As to a MIDI controller, I do have a M Audio Keystation Pro88, the Arturia Spark for drums (amazing) and a small AKAI drum pad.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:15 pm

I really like the UAD stuff. I think the interfaces and plugins are great. but there is a bit of a premium maybe? To me, it's been worth it.
Good reviews on the little SSL interfaces recently too (SSL-2).

Also, just saw this today in a TapeOp newsletter:

https://tapeop.com/interviews/bonus/tap ... s-guide-1/
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 pm

If you want to plug a guitar straight in, get something with an instrument input...sometimes marked as guitar or hiZ.

What's it going to plug into? The interface makers are lagging a bit in terms of adopting USB-c. Is thunderbolt dead?

I've been pretty happy with the smaller Focusrite interfaces, as well as the Yamaha/Steinberg stuff. They seem to scale from 1 to 8 (or more with lightpipe) inputs across the range.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 am

I concur with using Reaper - and there is a JS plug-in for amp/cabinet modeling and you also get a drum machine included. Although, I use Reaper all the time, I don't use these functions, so I can't really comment on them except to say they are part of the great deal that is Reaper. For audio interface, I don't think your friend need look further than the RME Babyface Pro - superb mic preamps, instrument input, bulletproof drivers and great technical support, all in a slick package. My $0.02. You asked!
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:33 pm

This is great guys, thanks so much!