Best Mics for Recording Acoustic Guitar?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Best Mics for Recording Acoustic Guitar?

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:04 pm

I need to spend some time on trying things. I have several Alice mics, but I'm not currently happy with the sound they're getting from my nice Taylor. I guess in the last 10-15 years my style has changed a lot, much more fingerpicking nowadays.

Time to shlep the mic bin out and do a bunch of little tests.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:10 am

KuruPrionz wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:46 am

I found a horrible sounding Rogue acoustic guitar at the thrift store for $20. It sounded thin, yet harsh.
I put new strings on it - X-light D'Addario, did a bit of set up work and then I aimed an old AKG D310 dynamic mic from the middle of the neck towards the sound hole. No need for an HPF, there is no low end. It sounds like crap by itself but it doesn't take much in the mix to be audible and clear.

Probably useless for many genres but something I will use once in a while moving forward. Just because something is wrong doesn't mean it isn't right.
Think of it like a Nashville-tuned.

I like the Tweedy thing, also, where one intentionally deadens the sustain (he uses innertube rubber at the bridge, IIRC).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:47 pm

vvv wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:10 am
KuruPrionz wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:46 am

I found a horrible sounding Rogue acoustic guitar at the thrift store for $20. It sounded thin, yet harsh.
I put new strings on it - X-light D'Addario, did a bit of set up work and then I aimed an old AKG D310 dynamic mic from the middle of the neck towards the sound hole. No need for an HPF, there is no low end. It sounds like crap by itself but it doesn't take much in the mix to be audible and clear.

Probably useless for many genres but something I will use once in a while moving forward. Just because something is wrong doesn't mean it isn't right.
Think of it like a Nashville-tuned.

I like the Tweedy thing, also, where one intentionally deadens the sustain (he uses innertube rubber at the bridge, IIRC).
Yeah, it's sort of "Nashville-ish" but a bit more brutal, good for hard rock or punk stuff. The Rogue is one of the worst sounding acoustic guitars I've ever played, amazing. The D-310 emphasizes it's brutality, nice.

For Nashville tuning, I found a Johnson 3/4 sized Strat copy and put the octave strings on it. You can intonate it easily. I use the neck and middle pickup, hum bucking and thin sounding. I find if I play that straight into a DI underneath an acoustic guitar it sounds acoustic and if I am using an electric guitar it sounds electric. Works either way, was cheap, sounds in tune and works with my other gear. Gotta love it!