Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Going for it

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:53 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:06 pm
Despite my " sausage mic" comment above I always label it as the heart mic. On an analog track sheet it's just a heart with an arrow through it. If pro tools allowed emoji labelling I'd do it there to.
Can you use the full Unicode character set?
https://unicode-table.com/en/sets/heart-symbols/

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Wait... what's the penalty around here for resurrecting dead threads? And is it worse if it's for shameless self-promotion?

Anyway... we did it! After many sessions and a long time being distracted with other projects, I got done mixing this record for my friends and it is out in the world: https://effs.bandcamp.com/album/effs-2021 (It was mastered by a friend-of-a-friend, Richard Marr at Galaxy Park in Salem, MA.)

We recorded new vocal takes (many of them) and some guitar overdubs, and I added some random noise with my pedalboard, but everything else was basically live in the room. Bleed is there, but as many of you predicted, it helped more than it hurt.

It was a hell of a learning experience, and mixing was even more complicated than I'd realized, but also just incredibly fun. If I could get paid to do this all day, I would never, ever stop.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I can't wait to try again. Also, the band bought me a Royer 121 as a thank you gift! (2/3 of the band are lobstermen, and the price was good this year.)

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:56 am

sounds great! great tones and mix!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Thank you! The band is very excited about how it came out, which is gratifying. Can't wait to do it again....