Yamaha mt8x

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

Yamaha mt8x

Post by floid » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:15 pm

The capstan motor in my mt8x went bad years and years ago and it's been sitting in a closet ever since. Lately I've been trying to resurrect it.
I replaced the original motor with one I found on ebay. Transferred the brass pressfit pulley on to the new shaft.
The transport would engage, play for 3-4 seconds, and stop. So I found a belt kit. Problem solved. It plays tapes for the first time in over a decade

So here are my questions/ things I've noticed so far.
I should probably re-grease/lube some things in the transport, right? What should I use, and where all should it go?
The capstan motor is noticeably loud. I know it made some noise back in the day, but it's been long enough that I have no idea if this is "normal loud" for these units. Is this related to needing some grease, or something to do with the dc motor supply, or ...?
Playback levels are significantly lower than input levels. Again, I don't remember if this was normal. I have no problem getting "enough" signal to tape, just, is there some sort of calibration here similar to what I'd do on a reel-to-reel?
The dbx is stuck "on". There would be major, major disassembly required to get to this switch. Tell me it ain't worth it, or alternately, what all I should clean/check/etc while I'm that deep.

I've transferred a couple of old tapes and done a little recording so far, and honestly it sounds pretty good as is. Guess I'm mostly wondering how much more effort this is worth. I had a lot of fun with it in it's time, and prices being what they are, I'm unlikely to again upgrade from it to a 238 as I did shortly before it died last time.

Last weird sidenote: a few years ago I found out here on the TOMB that the 238 wouldn't play tapes backwards. Which I totally didn't remember from when I had mine. This will do the backwards tape thing, and it also plays tapes I know for a fact I did on my 238 just fine both ways. Which is probably to do with why I didn't remember this tidbit. But... What's up with that?
Village Idiot.

blakeq
audio school graduate

Re: Yamaha mt8x

Post by blakeq » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:44 pm

Nothing much to add yet. Following since I’ve got an mtx8 incoming that will need some work and I would like to do it all in one fell swoop.

It only plays for a short time, sounds like it needs a belt replacement most likely according to this video:

https://youtu.be/PhEQbCKqBMc

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:06 pm

blakeq wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:44 pm
Nothing much to add yet. Following since I’ve got an mtx8 incoming that will need some work and I would like to do it all in one fell swoop.

It only plays for a short time, sounds like it needs a belt replacement most likely according to this video:

https://youtu.be/PhEQbCKqBMc
I found the belts at West Coast Belts for ~$15 free shipping, arrived in under a week. You'll have to remove the transport from the case, disconnect the pin headers to the motor, and undo the 4 screws that attach the motor plate to the rest of the transport - or at least, that's how I did it. It's a little fiddly to reassemble, as the servo motor, belt, and gear are just wedged in place between the halves as they go back together and the capstan belt can get tangled up. Some sort of angled pick that allows you to fish the capstan belt into place is invaluable.
Village Idiot.

blakeq
audio school graduate

Post by blakeq » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks for the wisdom! I ordered a 50 pack of various belts from eBay. So I will probably go that route first. But I have never heard of west coast belts. I will check them out.

jacksaturn
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jacksaturn » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:58 am

For anyone in the future reading this, I work on 4-track machines and would be glad to sell you the appropriately-sized belts for the MT8X (or any other machine you might be working on).

I'm also interested in acquiring anyone's bad/dead capstan motors, as I may be able to repair them, provided they haven't already been taken apart.

Jack
https://recdel.com/contact

blakeq
audio school graduate

Post by blakeq » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:18 pm

Jack

That is good to know.

You are my backup plan if I can’t get this working myself since we are both in the Portland area!

jacksaturn wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:58 am
For anyone in the future reading this, I work on 4-track machines and would be glad to sell you the appropriately-sized belts for the MT8X (or any other machine you might be working on).

I'm also interested in acquiring anyone's bad/dead capstan motors, as I may be able to repair them, provided they haven't already been taken apart.

Jack
https://recdel.com/contact

jacksaturn
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jacksaturn » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:24 pm

blakeq wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:18 pm
You are my backup plan if I can’t get this working myself since we are both in the Portland area!
Small world! 😊 Best of luck with the repair, and if I can be of help, let me know.

Jack