Sebatron

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Sebatron

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 am

don't see much love for their gear here and their VMP got a fairly lukewarm review in the magazine some years back (seemed to say it was kind of mid-range gear?), but I gotta say, I have a four channel VMP and it might actually be my favorite pre - and I have plenty of heavy hitters in my lineup - Chandler, CAPI, Hairball, Hamptone, etc. I got it on ebay (seemingly direct from them?) for under $1k. what a damn steal! and i have barely resisted the urge to buy a second unit every time i see one come up.

super versatile, even without the tone shaping switches - which are incredible in the right circumstances. I love how they soften up the bright snap from my D71C or Beta 91 in the kick, or soften the attack on my overheads, or how the deep switch adds some roundness to bass, and so many other things!

I had an Axis 200VU for a little while as well. i quite liked it but didn't have the character that i was looking for - was replacing a UA 610 that had recently left the studio. the VMP was a much better replacement.

anyone in the market for some colored pres should do themselves a favor and look into the VMP they offer

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Re: Sebatron

Post by joninc » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:57 am

interesting... i bought one of these years ago and was kind of underwhelmed after hearing other stuff like the Great River and UA solo 610... I sold it shortly after. What do you use it most often on?

But tastes shift and that was like 15 years ago at least.... I wonder if I'd like it today.

( For what it's worth - an API 512 was the first pre I bought for my lunchbox about 16 years ago and I didn't like it either - felt hard and cold to me at the time and it's a classic pre that many rave about. Now I have used some of the CAPI stuff and love it (VP28 / Heider)... I guess it takes all kinds?)
the new rules : there are no rules

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Re: Sebatron

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Lately I stick any inside kick condensers (d71c usually), my overheads (josephson c42 usually) and bass cab mic (usually blue mouse w transformer), but I’ve used it plenty for dynamics on guitars, ribbon overheads, and the DI for bass with good results.

To each their own, certainly. It def isn’t as hifi sounding as the axis200 they offer but I enjoy it more and I find those eq switches super useful.