analogika
gettin' sounds

Re: Plugins that deliberately add noise

Post by analogika » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:23 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:56 pm
Rodgre wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 am
...Waves CLA-LA2A and CLA-1176, that seem to just add noise without being able to shut it off (that I know of)...
I own those. They have buttons for noise type, and OFF, at the bottom center of the plug in. Most plug ins that have that noise stuff do, check the manual or with their makers.

I like it sometimes. Most times not. But sometimes, it helps in a mix, where you need "something down there" to fill the mix as you force feed it through a Stereo Buss with processors, and that noise pushes a tiny bit more crap through. Making the processing work just right.
Also, vintage gear tends to have clear limits to its magic, and the recordings we love played within those limits and compromises. Remove them, and the faithful recreation of vintage gear turns into "inspired by".

I can grok that.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:10 am

mjau wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:43 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:11 pm
I like the "tape hiss" on the UAD ATR-102.
I’ve found that a touch of that hiss can help mask some mic self-noise that might show up only when the tracks using that mic are playing. Helps level out what might otherwise be an obvious appearance of noise, however low in the mix it might be.
There's something comforting to me about a little hiss on the mix. I produce a podcast for my day job and I always add an aux with a white noise generator on it, very low in the mix. It puts this subtle veil over the absolute silence that would normally exist between phrases when people are speaking.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:35 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:10 am
1. save a setting
2. Settings Preference - > User Default (choose the setting you saved)
3. Set Plugin Default to -> User Setting

something like the above. Also I think command/ctrl + click when inserting a plugin will make it a favorite so it always shows on the top of the list
Thanks, Mike

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:10 am
There's something comforting to me about a little hiss on the mix. I produce a podcast for my day job and I always add an aux with a white noise generator on it, very low in the mix. It puts this subtle veil over the absolute silence that would normally exist between phrases when people are speaking.
Good idea!

Normally, that would be the room noise, also called room tone, if the speakers are all in the same room, no problem. But when they are all spread out, like in today's Covid-19 situation, this might solve the issue between varying levels of room noise. It would just have to be a little louder than the loudest room noise, to even everyone out.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.