Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Welcome recording issues/mistakes

Post by vvv » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:14 am

Inspired by this:
losthighway wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:43 am
What about when you can hear the snare wires on the kick hits? Kind of cool sometimes right? Oh wait, we're talking about high passing.
Yeah, that's one of my fave things! The Gutterball eponymous record has that all over. You used to hear it a lot on punk 8-track recordings, like early Mudhoney.

Then there's my oft-cited love of the bleed on Exile ...

Or the vocal exclamation on Zevon's "Werewolves of London".

There's the dog bark on Petty's "Strangered in the Night".

Or the vocal compressor on Jet's "Are You Gonna be My Girl".

The airplane on Physical Graffiti.

There's a song on All Shook Down where a studio door creaks.

Johnny Greenwood's amp-test that he made into a thing on "Creep".

Doya's have any?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Welcome recording issues/mistakes

Post by losthighway » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:08 am

Isn't the drum fill on the ubiquitous, Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight" thanks to the happy accident of the drums in the talk back mic?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:00 pm

One of my favorites is the phone ringing on "Steven's Last Night in Town" by Ben Folds Five
I think there's a cough in The Gambler
There's also a mute mistake in Elanor Rigby. You can hear what I assume is a double on the first syllable "El" on the first verse, not even the whole name.
losthighway wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:08 am
Isn't the drum fill on the ubiquitous, Phil Collin's "In the Air Tonight" thanks to the happy accident of the drums in the talk back mic?
In a roundabout way. Its the SSL 'listen' channel/compressor and the sound of the room at the Townhouse. The 'listen' comp was so anyone in the studio could be heard in the control room through wherever they were in the live room. It was on a Peter Gabriel session where, between takes, Phil Collins played something and everyone in the control room thought it was cool. Hugh Padgham had the tech wire the listen mic into the patchbay so they could route it to the multitrack. They specifically used it on Peter Gabriel's Intruder. So, by the time In The Air Tonight was being worked on, that sound was already something they had done, and presumably, it was on purpose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzUh_H7yV0

ETA: Part of why this massive compression works is because its from the period of time where Eno, Gabriel and Padgham we on a "no cymbals" kick.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:12 pm

I love the digital watch beeps that have occurred on more than one Flaming Lips song.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Ooh! The male opera voice that came in radiophonically through the board during the first verse when they were mixing?/tracking? "Does Everyone Stare" on the album Regatta de Blanc by the Police.

Edit: Another Police one..

The Police – “Roxanne”
"The mistake in this memorable tune about a prostitute can be found right near the beginning. When recording vocals for the track at Surrey Sound Studios, Sting accidentally sat down on a keyboard, producing an atonal piano chord. Both the chord and his laughter after making the sound are now preserved forever."

Ronnie Van Zant was fond of Enteman's powdered donuts. During the recording of Sweet Home Alabama (aka Werewolves of London..ahem) , someone accidently brushed against the table where they were sitting precariously and they fell to the floor, to which Ronnie exclaimed, mid-take and in time, "My f***in donuts, goddamn!"

MoreSpaceEcho's "greatest snare sound of all-time."

..accessing trivia deep storage..processing..processing..

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:50 pm

The vocal grunting and emotional sounds from a piano player.

Without them, the record is just like all the other ones.
I loved them then, and now. Aaron has grown to like them too. Because it is him. And how he plays the piano, and all instruments.
Taking that away would make it sound "not human."

The sax and drums were recorded together too, so I figured out their placement in their basement. Thus the sax being where it is
in the Stereo mix.

https://cousinfromanotherplanet.com/
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:50 pm

I loved them then, and now. Aaron has grown to like them too. Because it is him. And how he plays the piano, and all instruments.

The sax and drums were recorded together too, so I figured out their placement in their basement. Thus the sax being where it is
in the Stereo mix.

I thought you meant Keith Jarret from the first sentence.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:12 am

shedshrine wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:19 pm
Ronnie Van Zant was fond of Enteman's powdered donuts. During the recording of Sweet Home Alabama (aka Werewolves of London..ahem) , someone accidently brushed against the table where they were sitting precariously and they fell to the floor, to which Ronnie exclaimed, mid-take and in time, "My f***in donuts, goddamn!"
I wish so hard that was true, but this went around the internet some years ago, and sadly it's not the case. He's says "my. Montgomery's got the answer" i believe.

I do love donuts though.

Roger

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:59 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm
Nick Sevilla wrote:

in the Stereo mix.

Glenn Gould and Oscar Peterson were quite noisy as well.

This one is a particular favourite. Apparently the drummer thought they were just doing a run through and is singing along. He's my favourite part of the tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6UlJE ... rGiorgi02

In my own work (and work I do for others) I'm always on the hunt for happy accidents. They're what make the record special. I've done a few records where I've saved the best of the in-between take noises - talking, the sound of tape starting to record mid note/drum hit, coughing fits, etc and edited them into intros our outros. There's a studio in Northern Ontario where I do a fair bit of work. It's across the street from the train yard. There are a lot of records coming out of there with various train sounds on them. It's almost alway a good thing.

Here's one where we purposely made it a thing - https://briandunncd.bandcamp.com/track/marianne

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:18 am

When we were recording The Curtain Society's album in 1996, we were tracking a song called "Chevelle" and a cymbal stand fell over in the middle of the breakdown. It's not particularly on time or anything, but it was sort of a magical moment and the take was otherwise perfect so we left it in.

Nowadays, I would totally edit it out and fix it.

That's kind of a bummer.

Roger

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:48 am

Rodgre wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:18 am
Nowadays, I would totally edit it out and fix it.

That's kind of a bummer.

Roger
So true. I'm working on a record for my band at the moment and making a concerted effort not to "Pro Tools" it. I've edited multiple takes of the band to get the best performance but am trying very hard not to fix things that don't need fixing.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:04 am

mjau wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:12 pm
I love the digital watch beeps that have occurred on more than one Flaming Lips song.
i've loved them too but i always thought they were intentional. either way, cool!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:44 am

Rodgre wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:12 am
shedshrine wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:19 pm
Ronnie Van Zant ..Sweet Home Alabama... donuts.
No
Roger
Thanks Roger. I'd been living a lie.:)
https://www.songfacts.com/facts/lynyrd- ... me-alabama
Al Kooper confirmed with us that near the end of the song, Ronnie Van Zant says, "Montgomery's got the answer," a reference to the Alabama state capitol. It's hard to make out what he's saying, and Q magazine, perhaps to mess with people, printed in their August 2008 issue a story that Ronnie Van Zant treated himself to a box of doughnuts before the session, which were eaten by his bandmates, prompting him to say, very angrily, "My doughnuts! Goddamn!"

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:02 am

vvv wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:14 am
the vocal compressor on Jet's "Are You Gonna be My Girl".
What's the story with this?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:59 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:59 am
drumsound wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm
Nick Sevilla wrote:

in the Stereo mix.

Glenn Gould and Oscar Peterson were quite noisy as well.

This one is a particular favourite. Apparently the drummer thought they were just doing a run through and is singing along. He's my favourite part of the tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN6UlJE ... rGiorgi02

In my own work (and work I do for others) I'm always on the hunt for happy accidents. They're what make the record special. I've done a few records where I've saved the best of the in-between take noises - talking, the sound of tape starting to record mid note/drum hit, coughing fits, etc and edited them into intros our outros. There's a studio in Northern Ontario where I do a fair bit of work. It's across the street from the train yard. There are a lot of records coming out of there with various train sounds on them. It's almost alway a good thing.

Here's one where we purposely made it a thing - https://briandunncd.bandcamp.com/track/marianne
I tend to leave a lot of that stuff as well. One of my favorites was a singer in the booth with a beer. During the solo/outro he started tapping the bottle (with either a lighter or his wedding ring). We kept it in for percussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5uJyd ... M&index=10