Drum overhead comparison in GJ setup

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Re: Drum overhead comparison in GJ setup

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm

"Front of Kick" to me has been explained as in front of the resonant head (not the beater head) with the same measurement to the center of the snare as the overheads have been measured to the center of the snare.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:35 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:36 am
roscoenyc wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:32 am
I see a lot of people posting their version of the Glynn Johns....

with no Front Mic?

What gives?
Mine has a front mic. The Sennheiser e602II about 18" or so from the front head. I was going for the pure 3 mics deal. I considered another LDC, but looked at the picture on GJ's book of the Benmont Tench sessions and it looked as though he was using a modern BD dynamic, so I went with the mic I had up.
Yours sounds very good.
I couldn't see the 'front mic' in your pic.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:23 pm

It's funny that we obsess over the right way to do this. From everything I've read Johns doesn't measure anything. Places by eye and them moves things till it sounds good. He was also working in mono when he started this set-up. Stereo was a happy accident. The original placement was just a way to get more ride/floor tom into the dum track.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:12 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:23 pm
It's funny that we obsess over the right way to do this. From everything I've read Johns doesn't measure anything. Places by eye and them moves things till it sounds good. He was also working in mono when he started this set-up. Stereo was a happy accident. The original placement was just a way to get more ride/floor tom into the dum track.
I get that too.
If there was a like button on here I'd "like" this post.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:23 pm

roscoenyc wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm
"Front of Kick" to me has been explained as in front of the resonant head (not the beater head) with the same measurement to the center of the snare as the overheads have been measured to the center of the snare.
Shit, I never once measured that thing. I know we're talking about not caring, but I like data. I'm measuring next time!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:57 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:35 pm

Yours sounds very good.
I couldn't see the 'front mic' in your pic.
Thanks, Eric, that means a lot coming from you. :worthy:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:23 pm
I know GJ isn't particular, but I tend to measure the overs with a mic cable, in general when I don't use a coincident pair. I did/do eyeball the BD mic.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:58 am

DrummerMan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:36 am
drumsound wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:36 am
roscoenyc wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:32 am
I see a lot of people posting their version of the Glynn Johns....

with no Front Mic?

What gives?
Mine has a front mic. The Sennheiser e602II about 18" or so from the front head. I was going for the pure 3 mics deal. I considered another LDC, but looked at the picture on GJ's book of the Benmont Tench sessions and it looked as though he was using a modern BD dynamic, so I went with the mic I had up.
Can we clarify what we mean by "front" in terms of bass drums? Because I'm getting confused.... I can see the "front of the kit" being on the opposite side from the drummer, because that's in front of the kit, but I have a hard time accept the reso head as the "front" of a drum. Am I the only one?
Yes, when I say front I'm referring to the resonant head. The idea being that when I'm playing I sit "behind the drums" which is a typical colloquialism. It makes sense because if you think of performance, the drummer is behind the drumset, the drums are in front of the player.

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:46 pm
btw, Tony - what are these -- Aeyser L36Bs ?? never heard of them before.

edit - found it (with correct spelling) :-) http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Aseyer/L36B
Yeah, I'm a terrible speller of normal words, oddball names trip me up all the time. I did a review of the mic and another of their mics for Recording Hacks and that's how I got my pair, after I did the review.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:22 am

drumsound wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:58 am
I did a review of the mic and another of their mics for Recording Hacks and that's how I got my pair, after I did the review.
those mic bodies look similar to the Advanced Audio CM47 and CM48 - which are really all just kinda standard mic bodies coming out of China -- but the recording hacks description mentions a 2 micron nickel membrane capsule and that sounds interesting. most are mylar or PVC (gold sputtered), but there are a few others throughout history that were not (most recently those sE X1-Ds which are Titanium...). And then it look slike Aseyer was trying many things, such as this aluminum diaphragm. http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Aseyer/D36A interesting.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:17 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:22 am
drumsound wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:58 am
I did a review of the mic and another of their mics for Recording Hacks and that's how I got my pair, after I did the review.
those mic bodies look similar to the Advanced Audio CM47 and CM48 - which are really all just kinda standard mic bodies coming out of China -- but the recording hacks description mentions a 2 micron nickel membrane capsule and that sounds interesting. most are mylar or PVC (gold sputtered), but there are a few others throughout history that were not (most recently those sE X1-Ds which are Titanium...). And then it look slike Aseyer was trying many things, such as this aluminum diaphragm. http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Aseyer/D36A interesting.
Yeah, they were really trying to do something interesting. The nickel thing was done by Sennheiser and Neumann for a short bit, and Luke Audio is doing things with different sputtering metals, and sE had the x1D and the Titan, and still makes the T2 with titanium (which is an excellent microphone). Its a shame they couldn't get a foothold. I got the impression they were trying to stand out and not just cash in. I'm glad after the review I got lucky enough to have these. I even had some pictures and sound examples on their site for a time.