Differences in monitoring: mix rooms vs mastering suites

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: Differences in monitoring: mix rooms vs mastering suites

Post by The Scum » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:50 pm

With those fabric wrapped traps, try putting them so they straddle the corners of the room at a 45-deg angle...even just resting on the floor.

I'd also recommend getting a measurement mic and learning to use REW. Everything you learn about measuring and treating a non-ideal room will translate when you can get into a more suitable room.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

alexdingley
re-cappin' neve

Post by alexdingley » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:37 pm

So... maybe this should go in the "embarrassing Studio mistakes" thread... but this is a fun one.

As I mentioned early in this thread, I had been messing with the tone-control dip-switches on the Hafler near-fields (TRM-8 powered monitors) but even with the maximum bass boost dips thrown... I wasn't really getting much thump.

Well... I guess I'll chock this up to working in low-light and close quarters (crammed in behind the console and crouching with just an iPhone flashlight to guide me). I managed to mentally transpose (or just failed to read) which dip-switches I was interacting with... and I turned the treble all the way up and didn't tweak the bass.

So... anyway, I've now got the speakers on stands, closer to the wall. I've also ordered some 90° XLR male ends and some right-angle IEC Power cords, so that I can get the speakers more-flush against the new 703 panels that I'm gonna whip up. I'm also gonna give some serious thought to doing the 'cut-triangle' "super-chunk" bass-traps in the corners of the room (or at least in the corners that I can manage to fit those into.)

Additionally on order is a measurement mic, and I'm gonna use REW to check out what my room is doing. Question on that:
If I use REW and a measurement mic... and determine that there are a few bumps/dips in my freq curve... is a decent-enough solution to simply buy a reasonably good 31band stereo eq, and compensate for those issues in line with my monitors (patched in between my control room monitor controller and the powered monitors?) — I see some used Ashly and DBX 31 band stereo EQ racks on Reverb for $200-$400.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 pm

Don't get the EQ. It doesn't solve the problem.

The main low frequency problems come from the dimensions of the room acting like a resonator. Frequencies cancel in some spots and reinforce in others. It's more of a problem in smaller rooms because the room modes happen up in the musical frequencies.

Those resonant frequencies then to keep resonating even after the sound source stops. They linger. And that lingering makes for low end mush. It's not so much a frequency problem as it is a time one.

An EQ won't keep them from ringing...boosting an apparently dipped frequency with Eq can actually cause it to resonate longer, and make the mush even worse.

I can say that $200 - $400 of fiberglass & related materials will help. Fiberglass in the right spot can hamper those resonances.

And REW can help you experiment with where to put it.

And then a little EQ (like is in your speakers) might take it the rest of the way.

I've been tinkering with a new control room, and doing a lot of this myself recently. Does the board host pictures for us? I could post some of my process & results...
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' gear

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:43 am

The Scum wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 pm
Does the board host pictures for us? I could post some of my process & results...
When you type a post, there'll be two tabs on the left below the white space where you're typing. One of those is marked "Attachments." Go there to post photos. They need to be small, though, or they will be rejected.

alexdingley
re-cappin' neve

Post by alexdingley » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:07 am

Yeah, I tend to post the photos to flickr and then link them so that I can use hi-res photos. Cumbersome process, but when I want big photos, it works.

Scodiddly
cryogenically thawing

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:56 am

I'd love to see some DIY photos.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:32 pm

There's a bunch on my studio build recap:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89367