wringing extra sends out of a Mackie 1402, or a patching problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JES
tinnitus

wringing extra sends out of a Mackie 1402, or a patching problem

Post by JES » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:45 am

Greetings. I have space in my setup for a 1402VLZ4, which I'm considering. Thing is, in my ideal world, I'd like 6 sends, just for running stuff through different effects. One option would be a patch bay, but I'm wondering if the more experienced mixers here have any good ideas for patching that would get me there.

Also, in terms of sound quality and headroom, I'd be open to something older and not SMD, but the compact footprint is important for me. I could imagine something like a Allen Heath 14:4:2 as another option, but that would need its own stand or table.

This will be entirely for line level signals; mic pres don't matter, but I will be recording.

In addition to the modular, my sound sources are: effects loop of guitar amp, modular synth inputs, and up to 6 cool effects: Roland RE-150, Ibanez AD-202, Big Ear Elle, Poly Beebo, Chase Bliss Blooper, Eventide H9.

Thanks for any thoughts you have. Another option, I suppose, would be some kind of matrix mixer, but feedback is less interesting to me.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: wringing extra sends out of a Mackie 1402, or a patching problem

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:47 pm

Rule of thumb:

You can send an output to many inputs.

So, if you can use one send to two similar effects, no need to come up with more sends.

You can always mute the return of an effect you aren't using, or even turn it off.

If you are returning to the Mackie, and you have enough inputs, similarly, you won't hear the other
effect, if you just mute it's outputs on the Mackie.

You cannot, however, send many outputs to one input. It is an impedance no-no, it will sound bad.

Example:

Send 1 - reverb effects
Send 2 - delay effects
Send 3 - modulation effects
Send 4 - weirdo or different effects.

All returns to their own channel (is the Mackie enough inputs???) with their own mute buttons.

You'll need to figure out what sort of splitting cabling you'll need to accomplish that, but it should not be complicated.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:13 pm

What Nick says is right: split the sends to multiple FX, then mute the returns you don't want.

There might also be some clever applications of A/B/Y boxes to split the sends, or switch the returns between FX.

You can also put some FX inline on the channels or masters that have insert points.

Does that 1402 have the "alt3/4" output? When channels are muted, they're actually routed to a different stereo output.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:52 pm

Thanks. This is so obvious and yet, I needed you both to point it out to me. Problem solved. And yes it has the alt3/4.

For line level signals and modular level, is there any reason why I should be concerned about sound quality? “Transparent” is fine.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:14 pm

JES wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:52 pm
Thanks. This is so obvious and yet, I needed you both to point it out to me. Problem solved. And yes it has the alt3/4.

For line level signals and modular level, is there any reason why I should be concerned about sound quality? “Transparent” is fine.
You're welcome, and no, you do not have to worry too much, just set your levels properly and you'll be fine.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.