Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Listen: Jazz drums with modern micing

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:41 am

cgarges wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:44 pm
Tony has a bunch of great-sounding drums and cymbals and he knows what to pick! I had the good fortune to play on a session at his place and used a bunch of his stuff. His big-ass kick drum is a beautiful beast.

I've never understood this thing where you HAVE to do minimal miking on stuff for a jazz session. The REALLY great engineers who've made astoundingly good-sounding recordings over the last 40 years have been doing close miking on stuff that whole time. I'm specifically talking about Joe Ferla, James Farber, and Jan Erik Konshaug. For my money, you can't beat the sound of those guys' records and they've been close-miking toms and stuff for decades now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Thanks, Chris! Part of why I posted this is because we've had this conversation before, about modern jazz records, and about projects we've both done.
roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:39 am
great, natural sound.
Thanks, Roscoe.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:16 am

cgarges wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:44 pm
Tony has a bunch of great-sounding drums and cymbals and he knows what to pick! I had the good fortune to play on a session at his place and used a bunch of his stuff. His big-ass kick drum is a beautiful beast.

I've never understood this thing where you HAVE to do minimal miking on stuff for a jazz session. The REALLY great engineers who've made astoundingly good-sounding recordings over the last 40 years have been doing close miking on stuff that whole time. I'm specifically talking about Joe Ferla, James Farber, and Jan Erik Konshaug. For my money, you can't beat the sound of those guys' records and they've been close-miking toms and stuff for decades now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Yes, James Farber. Huge sound.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:58 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:16 am
Yes, James Farber. Huge sound.
He's one of my absolute heroes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC