BBE Sonic Maximizer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Teacher's Pet
gimme a little kick & snare

BBE Sonic Maximizer

Post by Teacher's Pet » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:58 pm

I'm picking up where the old, locked thread left off...

old thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14214&hilit=BBE+362

I just so happen to be among the lucky few who have been able to secure one of these rare, highly-regarded pieces of outboard gear.
Many people are saying this special unit is the well-kept secret behind all successful recordings ever made. Really.

OK, I really just need a little help understanding the schematic. My unit is a BBE 362NR.

If I use this in a PA application and put the 362NR just before the power amp, is my signal going through a lot of unfortunate-sounding junk even when unit is in bypass?

Can I use the unit as a splitter and take the output from the RCA outs AND the 1/4" outs at the same time?
Each would go to a separate power amp & crossover network.

Thanks in advance!

Schematics:
https://imgur.com/gallery/vyomauh

vvv
zen recordist

Re: BBE Sonic Maximizer

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:40 pm

Teacher's Pet wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:58 pm

I just so happen to be among the lucky few who have been able to secure one of these rare, highly-regarded pieces of outboard gear.
Many people are saying this special unit is the well-kept secret behind all successful recordings ever made. Really.
Pssssst! Wanna buy a Black Rat-Shack EQ?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Teacher's Pet

Post by Teacher's Pet » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:07 pm

I also have an Aphex Aural Exciter and a Hughes Retriever.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Looks like the outputs are in parallel, basically just like using a Y cable.

Teacher's Pet

Post by Teacher's Pet » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:56 am

Great, thank you.

It doesn't look like it has anything approaching "true bypass" right?

Could I wire an extra "bypass" switch that just jumpers in the inputs directly to the outputs?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:13 am

Teacher's Pet wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:58 pm
I remember these things. Hated them.

Typically, they were used to "excite" frequencies, because typically, some of those recordings, done to analog tape, were TOTAL SHITE. Too dark, yet with the wrong sort of low and as well.

No, this thing was not used on "all successful recordings ever made." More like, used a lot by coke addicts in the 1980s, to excite frequencies their drug addled brains could not hear due to their cocaine ears. LOL.

Only once did I have to rent one of these things, to recreate an old Metal mix from the 1980s, in order to bypass publishing rights by some (never to be named famous) producer. Because we could not get that shitty sound from the mix, and thankfully, the producer remembered the "red one rack unit", if nothing else, from the original mixing session. Who knows what else they used. The mix came out almost the same. But because by now we had Pro Tools and plug ins galore.

Hopefully, you find a good use for this unit.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:19 am

Years ago I had the honor of watching Trina Shoemaker mix a record Id produced (and had the embarrassing pleasure of watching her fix my mistakes). She used this box on toms.

Teacher's Pet

Post by Teacher's Pet » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:49 am

I was just kidding. It's slightly embarrassing to ask persistent questions about widely reviled pieces of gear, I should know.

At least there's no obnoxious answers like "the only way to use it properly is to throw it out" type answers, so common on other forums. Those are neither clever nor helpful.

Tape Op at its best is about making the most of what's available to each individual, so if some weirdo wants to dive deep into some cheap old piece of gear, who cares?

Up, next I shall bump the old "snip the noise gate mod on your Alesis 3630" thread, I have one of those too, those are what George Martin used on all the Beatles' records. 8)

But really: Is there any reason I should not try to add a switch and jumper wire directly from input to output?
(Besides wasting time and energy on this POS?)

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:15 pm

I think in the 80's and 90's they were just abused a lot and got a bad rep. I've heard them used and can sound pretty cool, especially on like snare or toms. Just don't crank it to 11, be tasteful with it and it can sound cool.

Also I think the same thing with the 3630. I still have one and they sound gross when pushed, but it can be a cool sound for certain things, particularly that Daftpunk pumping sound. These days you can just use for a character piece. It's possible to get clean sounds with softknee and RMS engaged but If you want clean, your better off using your stock DAW compressor.

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:29 pm

Teacher's Pet wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:49 am
I was just kidding. It's slightly embarrassing to ask persistent questions about widely reviled pieces of gear, I should know.

At least there's no obnoxious answers like "the only way to use it properly is to throw it out" type answers, so common on other forums. Those are neither clever nor helpful.

Tape Op at its best is about making the most of what's available to each individual, so if some weirdo wants to dive deep into some cheap old piece of gear, who cares?

Up, next I shall bump the old "snip the noise gate mod on your Alesis 3630" thread, I have one of those too, those are what George Martin used on all the Beatles' records. 8)

But really: Is there any reason I should not try to add a switch and jumper wire directly from input to output?
(Besides wasting time and energy on this POS?)
I don't see why not (bypass switch). I suspect you might need two switches, one for each side, unless you can find a 4PDT (I haven't thought it through that much so I could be wrong).