making a mix room in a long narrow space

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

making a mix room in a long narrow space

Post by joninc » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:39 pm

I have a room that is unused 95% of the time that I am considering setting up as a dedicated mix space and possibly also have an iso booth for overdubs
in there.

The space is long and narrow with fairly high ceilings. There's no treatment yet of any kind but before I even entertain the idea I'm wondering if these dimensions are hugely problematic or not...

Approx: 7.5 feet wide / 16 feet long with 10.5 feet height.

I might take 5-6 feet at one end for an iso - unless that's gonna cause more problems with the dimensions for mixing.

Thoughts?
the new rules : there are no rules

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: making a mix room in a long narrow space

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:41 pm

If you take 5-6' for an iso, your length and height are going to be the same dimension, which is bad.

I had an old room that was 7.5' wide, it was very much....not wide. I think you'll find that feeling awfully narrow once you move any amount of gear in. Nevermind treatments, and in a room like that, you would really need some treatment to have a decent mix space.

Sorry for being negative! But I wouldn't do it.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:43 pm

joninc wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:39 pm
I have a room that is unused 95% of the time that I am considering setting up as a dedicated mix space and possibly also have an iso booth for overdubs
in there.

The space is long and narrow with fairly high ceilings. There's no treatment yet of any kind but before I even entertain the idea I'm wondering if these dimensions are hugely problematic or not...

Approx: 7.5 feet wide / 16 feet long with 10.5 feet height.

I might take 5-6 feet at one end for an iso - unless that's gonna cause more problems with the dimensions for mixing.

Thoughts?
I might make a good live chamber.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks for the responses guys.

it would be a good chamber if I tiled the whole room or did something to make the walls a lot more reflective but having a separate mix room is a much bigger priority for me as I am doing more and more mixing and have a medium size studio that I could rent out a bit to some friends when I am mixing - if I had another room. I am also potentially helping my son get started as well doing some voice over/editing stuff so it's partially for him as well.

There's a smaller garage space that I could also potentially convert but it's got low ceilings and is almost a perfect square. probably 10x10 and maybe 8 ft ceilings. I'd need to make this space more soundproofed then the long narrow room as well so it's gonna shrink both in width and height by at least a foot or more all around if I choose to use this space.

The first proposed space could stay 7.5 x 16 if that was ideal or could be 7.5 ft by 11 ft if i make an iso booth.

I am moving more and more ITB so there wouldn't be a ton of gear. 1 small rack of outboard, a computer/converters and a set or 2 of monitors. Presumably set up at one end of the long space. I can eat into a lot of the ceiling space if that would help for treatments and can pull back from the end of the room to do bass trapping as well.

What would be the primary concern with these dimentions?
Last edited by joninc on Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
the new rules : there are no rules

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:15 am

Use this calculator!

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=16 ... ue&r60=0.6

The dimensions as-is are inside the "Bolt area" (google it), which means the resonant frequencies don't overlap too much. If you take 5-6 feet off the length, you're outside the bolt area and getting worse frequency buildups.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:13 pm

Reducing your longest dimension pushes low frequency problems up higher...it also cuts into space that you could use for treatments.

Any regularly sized room is going to start out squirrley in the frequencies below 150 Hz or so. Room treatment can tame the squirrels.

The high ceiling is a blessing - you can use some of that height for treatment - a cloud or drop ceiling over the mix position.

If you're mixing facing one end of the room, do some trapping on the wall behind the speakers, and especially the sidewalls.

In Phil Newell's Recording Studio Design, he details the design of a remote truck that's close in size to what you're describing, so it can be done.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:40 am

What, for my curiosity, was the room originally designed to be?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Maybe put up some panels at angles here and there.