Can I use a Lynx Aurora LS-ADAT card as an LT-ADAT card?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Can I use a Lynx Aurora LS-ADAT card as an LT-ADAT card?

Post by Calaverasgrande » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 am

So I am trying to expand my input/output count. Looking at the trusty old Lynx Aurora. But everyone seems to sell them sans card.
This and it seems like actual Lynx LT-ADAT cards are pretty rare on the ground, and discontinued for some reason?
So my question is, Can I use a Lynx Aurora LS-ADAT card as an LT-ADAT card? They appear to be identical aside from the bracket.
The pictures I can find of the LT-ADAT cards look exactly like LS-ADAT cards. They even say LS-ADAT on the PCB.
I'm worried there is a firmware difference or some kind of voltage difference between the PCI daughter card and the rack unit expansion.
Oh yeah, I finally got an Xpanda to go with my X-Desk. It's so damn great to have 24 channels of mix.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Re: Can I use a Lynx Aurora LS-ADAT card as an LT-ADAT card?

Post by Studiodawg » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:35 pm

Dig in and contact Lynx directly:
https://support.lynxstudio.com/hc/en-us
They'll help you with your situation.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:42 pm

It does look to me like the only difference is the bracket. It definitely makes a lot of sense to check with Lynx first, but I strongly suspect that there is no difference. I now also realize that I should get an LS-ADAT to augment my AES16e. Let me know if you decide to sell yours!

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:09 pm

Well I was hoping to score an Aurora 8 and an LS-ADAT or LT-ADAT card. But an Apogee AD16X popped up on Reverb so I grabbed that instead. No need for any cards since the AD16X has SMUX ADAT built in. I can put an interface card in there if I ever decide to set up a ProTools rig or something. But for now I'm happy to have 32x16 ins and outs.

I'd thought about contacting Lynx, but I don't think it's fair to expect support for nonstandard usage of second hand gear.
(I used to work in tech support)