What format for deliverables?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: What format for deliverables?

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:01 am

agree with the point about SSDs (including flash thumb drives, etc.) shelf-life. SSDs are still relatively "new" technology and not all are created equal. Most of the manufacturers quote a "end of life" worst case data retention, however the key takeaway is that environmental conditions can affect it as well as how many times you have written to (saved data on) the device. I have some that have been sitting for several years and no issues so far. I periodically pull them out and check them. I always save zipped files (usually the entire session). It's an easy check because if the file unzips with no errors, then there was no "bit-rot". So you know fairly quickly if the files are intact or not. But I also plug in other SSDs and leave them on for a while (just powered up - don't need data cables really). This can allow them to "refresh" the data/contents in flash, however some drives have a background task that can take a week (or longer) depending on how much data (flash) is in use. Some low-cost devices may not do it at all.

Other media formats also have shelf-life issues. Obviously tape has had various issues as most have heard about. Any magnetic media is actually at risk of having the "bits" return to their natural polar state - this can take a long time, but it is possible. So that means tape, spinning hard drives, etc. Even CD-R and blue-ray media can deteriorate over time. Don't leave them in the sun as that will greatly accelerate it (as with most anything plastic).

Probably the best strategy for backups is to have multiple copies in various locations (because even a RAID array can be destroyed in a fire or flood, etc.).

but for delivery to a client - I will often provide a USB key too and/or a CD/DVD backup, and master CD. If the client wants it to last for 50 years, then it is up to them to protect that data somehow. I make no guarantees.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Definitely agree as far as longevity is concerned. Should have clarified that in my post that the thumb drive is is intended as a way to hand off files for the client to backup as they see fit, and not a be all end all long term solution. Multiple backups in multiple locations are really the only way to make sure things don't disappear. At the very least when I'm working a project, it exists on an internal SSD while I'm working, gets backed up to an external hard drive at least once a day, and then also backed up to the client thumbdrive and the cloud as well. I'm still using dropbox, but agree the user interface has gotten ridiculous as they've tried to add a million features, but at the end of the day I haven't lost any data to the service so there's that at least.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

Theo_Karon
pushin' record

Post by Theo_Karon » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:17 pm

Oh man. My extremities are numb with fear!

This is making me realize that after years of religiously backing up session files daily, separate HDD for sessions even during the workday etc... I have completely neglected to back up my (SSD) system drive. With years of custom Kontakt instruments, samples I've made, presets etc etc

:shock:

Good grief.

I'm an idiot.

Thanks for this.
Everything is going to be OK.

https://www.theokaron.com/