Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Plug-in suggestions for the minimalist studio

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:09 am

Theo_Karon wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:58 pm
An update - how it turned out - thanks so much for all the help, everyone!

Lol "minimalist".

Place looks SICK!
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:31 pm

Maybe a stupid question, but how much of this gear did you bring, and how did you handle switching the voltage (I think you moved from the US?)?

Theo_Karon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Theo_Karon » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:03 pm

The Scum wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:22 pm
Did Jesco Lohan have a hand in the trap design?

That looks like his work. How does it sound?
Nope! Wonderful Berlin-based company called Kiss Your Ears. They're fairly new and did a terrific job for about 1/3 the cost I would have expected coming from Los Angeles! The extreme low end is constrained and uneven as one would expect for a room of this size, but opening all the windows partway helps a lot. Overall the room sounds much better than I would expect for something of its size (it's only about 175 sq ft!) and I was extremely impressed by the panel build & installation - they are precision maniacs, like me :lol: .The owner of that company also did the room build - it's in one wing of a multi-use industrial building along with six other studios.
CraigS63 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:31 pm
Maybe a stupid question, but how much of this gear did you bring, and how did you handle switching the voltage (I think you moved from the US?)?
I brought all of it - for the most part, modern-ish (1980s onward) equipment is designed with this in mind and incredibly easy to switch over. Sometimes it's as simple as flipping a switch on the unit, sometimes there's an internal jumper or some fuses need to be switched out but that's about it. All of the custom stuff (I.e. racked console modules with DIY power supplies etc.) I left behind for now and are going to be switched over by a much better qualified tech than me, later on.

And yes I know it's not exactly minimal by modern standards! But after over a decade mixing on consoles & relying almost entirely on analog signal processing, it's a bit of an adjustment! So far an interesting one.

Some friends & I will be breaking ground on a new studio complex in Berlin if all goes well in the coming year, and the point of this room was to pay the bills until I A) decide for certain that I want to keep living here and move ahead with that project (I do) and B) get at least one proper control room finished enough that I can start working in there instead (we'll see.)

I'm noticing some interesting differences in the couple of months I've been working in this room. The plugin transition was actually quite smooth, especially the UAD plugs have served as drop-in replacements for much of the equipment I left behind, anything from good enough (Neve EQ and 2254, DBX 160) to very good indeed (EMT plate) absolutely jaw-dropping (I like the 'Silver' LA2A better than I liked my actual, re-issue LA2A. Head scratcher.) But there are things I simply can't do effectively - or at all - in this space that I hadn't realized how much I was relying on. Re-amping, quickly recording custom drum samples, and most of all just walking around the room to get a different perspective (this room isn't big enough for that.)

It's also been interesting making quick demos without being able to throw a quick mic setup together for piano, drums etc and get rolling - it's all synths or samples! I'm viewing it as a challenge and a departure from the norm that I can hopefully learn something from. And it's certainly a pleasant place to work for the time being - although I can't deny I'm really looking forward to having a proper studio once again, hopefully before too long ; )

Oh also - I think it was MSE who suggested the Audio Thing plugins? I have been having so much fun with them. 'Wires' is, in particular, incredible - I love how it gives control over each aspect of the modelling individually - lots of 'dropouts' and some wow & flutter with no drive or noise floor leads to some incredibly strangely cleanly broken up sci-fi sound design. It's like a gravel-ifier for anything with some sustain. Extremely cool.
Everything is going to be OK.

https://www.theokaron.com/

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:52 am

Theo_Karon wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:03 pm
But there are things I simply can't do effectively - or at all - in this space that I hadn't realized how much I was relying on. Re-amping, quickly recording custom drum samples, and most of all just walking around the room to get a different perspective (this room isn't big enough for that.)
Have you looked into the UA OX box? It can be very effective with amps you might have in re-amping.