Recording Chain notation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Recording Chain notation

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:38 am

Reading a few mentions here lately when someone speaks of a piece of gear possibly being used to record a track, I hafta ask:

Does anyone else keep notes on the recording chain used?

How?

Why?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Recording Chain notation

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:50 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:38 am
Reading a few mentions here lately when someone speaks of a piece of gear possibly being used to record a track, I hafta ask:

Does anyone else keep notes on the recording chain used?

How?

Why?
How?

I like using quad notebook paper first, and if I need to keep it handy, I make a spreadsheet on Mac Numbers (like excel).
If I need a dedicated settings page for a piece of audio gear, I usually find them here, or roll my own:

https://barryrudolph.com/recall/sheets.html

Why?

To be able to redo a recording. Usually, this only happens rarely, but it does happen. Especially with demos. Especially with demos. Especially with demos. :mrpink:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 am

I will sometimes note the mics used in the notes field at the bottom of the channel faders in PT, and occasionally the full signal chain, but the latter is more to keep me organized while I'm tracking. I don't ever use it as a reference later on.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:20 am

I keep notes. I've always for a clipboard on the console and write things down as I go. I make notes of signal chain, EQ and comp setting. I even draw myself a map of the live room and note where everything went. If I'm really with it I'll take a picture of the notes and include it in the session file.
The main reason for me is because I can have sessions that stretch over multiple dates with lots of time in between and I like to be able to get my set-up back quickly. It also helps if you've got folks that decide they want to do vocal punch ins a few weeks after the vocal session. That doesn't happen often but often enough for me to make sure I'm prepared.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 am

I sometimes make notes in Pro Tools, sometimes when I'm double micing something and using 2 tracks to do it the track name will include the mic. Like GTR M88, GTR 635a. I generally use console pres except for vocals. I'll often note the mic, pre and compressor on vox tracks. I probably should do it more.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 pm

I will typically use the scribble strip at the bottom of the PT faders. notes like:

MA5/M82
HBCU/M80
Tele/rearPU/Rebel20/fathead/5003D

that tells me the mic, preamp, and if guitar what kind, which PU, amp, mic etc. only so much you can fit in that space.

I recall seeing a notepad plugin once that would run in Pro Tools... Looks like this one is free

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MNotepad

never tried it though. unfortunately have to download a huge installer just to get this one free one... but I will try it. Of course its only good if the session and plugin still opens...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:02 pm

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MNotepad

never tried it though. unfortunately have to download a huge installer just to get this one free one... but I will try it. Of course its only good if the session and plugin still opens...
That's the sort of thing I've been wanting lately--just something simple that is contained within the project. It seems like such an obvious idea, I'm a little surprised it's not just a standard part of at least a few DAWs.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 am
I will sometimes note the mics used in the notes field at the bottom of the channel faders in PT, and occasionally the full signal chain, but the latter is more to keep me organized while I'm tracking. I don't ever use it as a reference later on.
That’s how I do it as well. Usually the mic, preamp, and eq/compressor if there is one. If I’m tracking guitars, I’ll make a note of which guitar, which pickup, amp, as well as any pedals in the chain. It’s usually overkill, but has come in handy on more than a few occasions. Like when a client hears the a mix weeks after tracking and decides they want to re-sing a few lines, or when I listen to my guitar takes the following day and realize they’re played horribly and I need to redo the bridge.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm

I always make notes in the section velowxeaxh track in Pro Tools. More often that not, it just saves me time setting up to record a band I've recorded before. I generally have a quick starting point if I can refer to these notes.

There's also a really great free plugin that lets you save a series of photographs and notes on each track. It's by Non-Lethal Applications and it's called Snapshot. It's pretty great!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 pm

cgarges wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm
. It's by Non-Lethal Applications and it's called Snapshot. It's pretty great!
Just downloaded--looks to be pretty close to what I was looking for (and it's free.) Thanks, Chris!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:01 am

cool, gotta check that one out too!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:53 pm

my usual is to write the vocal chain and settings down on the lyric sheet as that seems to be the thing most likely to recall.

I have notebooks dated for the year that I write down my outboard summing set up down for mix projects as well - i can recall any song in about 5 minutes.

I also have dedicated inputs with certain pre amps and compressor chains so just seeing what input was used also tells me a lot about what gear was used.

And I label most tracks in my sessions with the gear chain used (ie: Upright low ifet UA ADL or Tele Vox M160 tg2 etc)

it all helps!
the new rules : there are no rules

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm

cgarges wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm
There's also a really great free plugin that lets you save a series of photographs and notes on each track. It's by Non-Lethal Applications and it's called Snapshot. It's pretty great!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
HOT tip! Wow. So cool.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Theo_Karon
pushin' record

Post by Theo_Karon » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:56 am

Input sheets anyone?

I have a big ol accordion folder with alphabatized slots for manila folders. Every client gets a manila folder with their name on the tab. Input sheets, recall sheets etc all go in there. Also chord charts, lyric sheets etc hastily scribbled down during sessions - I pick these up if they're not in use anymore while I'm tidying after the session, and they go in the folder.

If I were REALLY organized I guess I'd photograph these and archive them digitally somehow. But I don't do that.

I mainly just love the whole accordion folder aspect. 'Look at this accordion folder!' I say to myself. 'I am such a grown-up! And with such great taste in folders, too!'

Now I just need to find one with one of those windy string bits to secure it closed.
Everything is going to be OK.

https://www.theokaron.com/

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 am

I got recall sheets for all my gear. Inputs, patchbay, eq, comps, fx, splits, the lot. Every setting gets written down, photos get taken all the time through tracking. So either in 100 years there's a book detailing all my magic in a hardbound luxury coffeetable book ... or at least i can set up things for further tracking or something down the road. A lot of times these pics end up on social media (kinda advertising) and then you see your studio needs funky lighting. Or pics get printed on the back of a sleeve. I got two heavy volumes of a few hundred tracking sessions.. which also contain phone numbers, adresses, scribbled insults, a wishlist for mixdown, caricatures, in-jokes, bloodstains.
Photos of pedals, amp settings, mic placement and angle/distance - all this helps to make the impression you know what you're doing.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.