Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

Re: Ddistributing Songs

Post by floid » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:45 pm

vvv wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:11 pm
"Aren't curated playlists the modern comp?"

For me the difference is, if it's a CD, then the compiler likely has an idear beyond just what they like as the basis for the compilation - and there are usually informative liner notes - all of which I value, as well as the CD format for when I'm on the train.

Now again, and for the most part, I'm not referring to "Best of"s - which I only buy if there's rare recorded stuff onnit, or it's a band I'm just wanting a cuppla tunes from. I'll note the "extended play" series is good, the Lou Reed one especially (basically the follow up to RnR Animal) but "Best of" the Zombies, or TJ and the Shondells, is fine for me. The J. Macis/DinoJr. Best of is excellent, tho', as is NY's Decades. But mostly I like the original albums. I do also like the John Peel compilations of the stuff done on his show, etc.
I remember poring through the review sections of flipside and etc, writing cover letters in my bestest penmanship to order records and including an extra dosh with the request for what the particular label thought was their best record at the moment, and they always, always, gave me a comp
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Ddistributing Songs

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:55 pm

The Rhino label does some good ones.

Nuggets is a classic, even the abbreviated single disc, and the 3 disk Punk is really good.

I can also reco the three Brown Acid compilations on the Riding Easy label.

Garage, punk and psych, respectively, and they all fit together pretty well if ya like that kinda thing, as I do.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.