Hearing Imbalance

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Re: Hearing Imbalance

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:33 am

I'm actually going through a pretty traumatic hearing loss in my right ear right now due to a sudden virus. It was down 30 db and distorted almost overnight. It's back up about 10 dis now, but it's a long term recovery that's a 50/50 chance of being permanent. I won't know for months until the virus runs it's course and the nerves in my inner ear start to slowly heal.

I already had an ENT I saw for musicians ear plugs and just general check ups of my hearing over the last 20 years. She's amazing and has been super aggressive working with this sudden issue and helping me out. I can't recommend enough finding a good ENT and having a professional look at your hearing. If you have any basic insurance it's just an office visit and they can check you out and get a baseline hearing test so you have something to judge changes against.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:19 pm

T-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:33 am
I'm actually going through a pretty traumatic hearing loss in my right ear right now due to a sudden virus. It was down 30 db and distorted almost overnight. It's back up about 10 dis now, but it's a long term recovery that's a 50/50 chance of being permanent. I won't know for months until the virus runs it's course and the nerves in my inner ear start to slowly heal.

I already had an ENT I saw for musicians ear plugs and just general check ups of my hearing over the last 20 years. She's amazing and has been super aggressive working with this sudden issue and helping me out. I can't recommend enough finding a good ENT and having a professional look at your hearing. If you have any basic insurance it's just an office visit and they can check you out and get a baseline hearing test so you have something to judge changes against.
Damn, sorry to hear this. Sounds like you’re in good hands though. Mine took about a week to get back to normal, following a couple flushes with some carbamide peroxide drops, and a lot of worrying.

Wishing you the best in your recovery!

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks, glad to hear you got back to normal!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.