Audio Test Kitchen/Spotify examples?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gravitychapters
alignin' 24-trk

Audio Test Kitchen/Spotify examples?

Post by gravitychapters » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:06 pm

I'm late to the party with Audio Test Kitchen, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

On a handful mics, there's a list of songs/artists who, if I'm reading correctly, used the mic in question. For instance, on the Soyuz Bomblet, it claims (or appears to claim) that the vocals from Estelle's "American Boy" were tracked with this mic.

So, umm...my research says that song is from 2008. I could be wrong, but I don't think Soyuz existed then.

Anybody know anything about this? Frankly, I'd LOVE to see a list of songs/performanced using certain mics, so this seems like a valuable resource.

(But I don't think I trust it?)

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Audio Test Kitchen/Spotify examples?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 am

I don't know the site so I can't be much help there but.....it's the internet. Take everything with a grain of salt. Beyond that, audio samples or lists of credits for a specific piece of gear only give you a tiny picture of the sound. The source is such a huge variable that it almost renders the examples worthless. A mic that sounds stellar on one voice can be terrible on another. Without being in the room to hear the voice in person you don't really know.
Last edited by A.David.MacKinnon on Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:53 am

https://www.allmusic.com/album/american ... 92/credits

Those are the only people I can see involved in this record.

You could contact the ME... maybe he knows which recording engineer worked on this.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

gravitychapters
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gravitychapters » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:42 am

For sure, totally get that. But In the same way that I’ve learned to tell Martins from a Gibson acoustic in certain recordings, I’d love to learn how to identify the sound of certain mics or preamps or compressors or what have you……

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 am
I don't know the site so I can't be much help there but.....it's the internet. Take everything with a grain of salt. Beyond that, audio samples or lists of credits for a specific piece of gear only give you a tiny picture of the sound. The source is such a huge variable that it almost renders the examples worthless. A mic that sounds stellar on one voice can be terrible on another. Without being in the room to hear the voice in person you don't really know.

gravitychapters
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gravitychapters » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:43 am

Right. I guess it’s not so much that I care about that song (lol). It’s more just that I’m curious to know if the gear credits they list are accurate.

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:53 am
https://www.allmusic.com/album/american ... 92/credits

Those are the only people I can see involved in this record.

You could contact the ME... maybe he knows which recording engineer worked on this.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:37 am

gravitychapters wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:42 am
For sure, totally get that. But In the same way that I’ve learned to tell Martins from a Gibson acoustic in certain recordings, I’d love to learn how to identify the sound of certain mics or preamps or compressors or what have you……

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Just saying that it's easier to spot a Gibson vs Martin than it is to tell what mic was being used on either.
Is there a decent gear rental option where you are? Beyond working in studios with lots of gear I didn't have access to renting was the best thing I ever did in terms of learning what various mics did well and poorly.

gravitychapters
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gravitychapters » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:22 pm

Good idea. I’m in Seattle, so you’d think, right?

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:37 am
gravitychapters wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:42 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Just saying that it's easier to spot a Gibson vs Martin than it is to tell what mic was being used on either.
Is there a decent gear rental option where you are? Beyond working in studios with lots of gear I didn't have access to renting was the best thing I ever did in terms of learning what various mics did well and poorly.