Editing playlist groups when not the selected (top) playlist

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Editing playlist groups when not the selected (top) playlist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:48 pm

So I didn't follow my plan for the day and it's bitten me in the ass (shocking, right?).

I was using a drum machine for a customized click. I didn't make a master take of the drum machine, so each take I hit record then started the drum machine. I was doing basics and making each new take a new playlist. What I was hoping to do, is to go into playlist view and drag the entire group of each playlist lane to the beginning of the drum machine pattern on the take we liked best and then comp a few things as necessary. When I did this, it wouldn't move all of the tracks in the group when I tried to gram and slide, only the top "active" playlist can be slid in a group.

I have a feeling I missed something in Pro Tools 10. Anybody know what I screwed up, and or how I can do what I described?

I did manage a way to deal, and it was a little cumbersome, but its fine.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Re: Editing playlist groups when not the selected (top) playlist

Post by Colorblind » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:20 pm

There’s probably an easier way to do it, but I would select the “all” group at the bottom left, select a playlist, tab to the first transient of the drum machine, hit command+E to create an edit point, select everything to the right of that edit point, then drag that section back to where you want the song to start. You would have to do that for every take, obviously. Maybe that’s how you did it? I always just flip through individual playlists, and have never worked in the multiple playlists view.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:09 pm

I just shift + click and select the takes on each playlist that began at the same time, and drag them over.

I imagine you played a new take (new playlist) not at the beginning of the song each time, but down a ways?

And now you want to use those from the beginning of the song?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:34 am

Colorblind wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:20 pm
There’s probably an easier way to do it, but I would select the “all” group at the bottom left, select a playlist, tab to the first transient of the drum machine, hit command+E to create an edit point, select everything to the right of that edit point, then drag that section back to where you want the song to start. You would have to do that for every take, obviously. Maybe that’s how you did it? I always just flip through individual playlists, and have never worked in the multiple playlists view.
I did that, but had to put each track into the "current" or main position to have them move as a group. I wanted them to move as a group from the Playlist lanes.